When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The 100% non practical grocery getter called the Cybertruck is already rusting... after a month or a single drive in rain. Another example of Tesla using form over function or adequately testing their products.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So I handed the keys back to the Lightning after lunch today. I don't think I'm quite ready to go all in with the BEV but I did like it. The truck was a Lightning XLT Pro with the 250 mile range battery. That advertised range and what I was seeing on the dash didn't come close to lining up. I picked up yesterday with about 55% SOC and my range was showing 90miles. I drove it around last night and this morning to work and plugged it in at work this morning at about 40% SOC. The pubic charger we have at work is slower than the second coming. It was estimating the truck would be fully charged at 5 pm tonight. That's more of a knock against the charger than the truck though. I tried running around a while with the one pedal drive mode turned on and I didn't really like it. It was just too different. Maybe if I used it for a couple weeks I'd change my mind but I'm not there yet. I'm buying a new truck in the next few months and I don't think a lightning will be that next truck but it might be the next one after that. Now if my side of the family didn't live 3 hours away in the middle of nowhere maybe I'd lean more towards the Lightning but I can't quite convince myself.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1 and Bigman38

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So I handed the keys back to the Lightning after lunch today. I don't think I'm quite ready to go all in with the BEV but I did like it. The truck was a Lightning XLT Pro with the 250 mile range battery. That advertised range and what I was seeing on the dash didn't come close to lining up. I picked up yesterday with about 55% SOC and my range was showing 90miles. I drove it around last night and this morning to work and plugged it in at work this morning at about 40% SOC. The pubic charger we have at work is slower than the second coming. It was estimating the truck would be fully charged at 5 pm tonight. That's more of a knock against the charger than the truck though. I tried running around a while with the one pedal drive mode turned on and I didn't really like it. It was just too different. Maybe if I used it for a couple weeks I'd change my mind but I'm not there yet. I'm buying a new truck in the next few months and I don't think a lightning will be that next truck but it might be the next one after that. Now if my side of the family didn't live 3 hours away in the middle of nowhere maybe I'd lean more towards the Lightning but I can't quite convince myself.
Did you get a chance to test the performance? It has to be weird to drive a pickup that's as fast as a 700 horsepower TRX but at the same time be quiet.

I agree, if you do a ton of really long drives(especially rural), it doesn't currently make sense. Even more so with the non tesla charging network.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Did you get a chance to test the performance? It has to be weird to drive a pickup that's as fast as a 700 horsepower TRX but at the same time be quiet.

I agree, if you do a ton of really long drives(especially rural), it doesn't currently make sense. Even more so with the non tesla charging network.
I stood on it a couple times and it's stupid fast. It legit scared my wife when I did it the first time.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I stood on it a couple times and it's stupid fast. It legit scared my wife when I did it the first time.
Nothing that big should accelerate like it does. I test drove one while our Mach E was being serviced and the salesman told me to stand on it on an on ramp. It sucks you into your seat like any sports car would.

Reactions: NWICY

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Does it retain a charge while parked without charging? i.e. - if I go out hunting early in the morning and come back after dark will it still have the charge when I left it?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Nothing that big should accelerate like it does. I test drove one while our Mach E was being serviced and the salesman told me to stand on it on an on ramp. It sucks you into your seat like any sports car would.
Would be a great kid vehicle....right? Back and forth to school....

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Does it retain a charge while parked without charging? i.e. - if I go out hunting early in the morning and come back after dark will it still have the charge when I left it?
I don't know about the lightning but our tesla will sit in the garage for a week and lose less than 2%. If you have the security cameras on, it tends to suck more energy

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS and NWICY

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
The range on our bolt can really jump around depending on so many variables. Going interstate speeds and if it's cold out will make it drop the most. One day driving in ames my wife said it barely moved the battery level. The one pedal driving took a little getting used to but now when I drive my truck I wish all cars could have that. I would seriously consider a silverado ev when they come out but it sounds like they are going to price them higher than they originally planned

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Also, you can now buy a Lucid for $70k, which it's a lot of car for the $$

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I wanted to get more data on this so I looked up some numbers.

I was on vacation form 1/18-1/26, so we didn't drive the car during this time, but it was left plugged in. On 1/18 it was at 80%, which is the maximum I set. 3 times in those 8 days it charged back up to 80%. To accomplish this, it used 1.95 KWh (63 cents). If I wouldn't have left it plugged in, the worst case scenario my battery would have went from 80% to 78% in those 8 days. Keep in mind that those temperatures are outside temperatures, not the temperature inside the garage. I'm assuming that even with it being in the garage, it probably had to warm up to charge, so those charging stats include getting the battery up to temp(pre conditioning).

Screenshot 2024-02-16 081819.jpg

Also, sentry mode (Security camera) doesn't run while I'm at home but would everywhere else. If the battery falls below 20%, sentry mode automatically shuts off. You can also manually turn off sentry mode from the app.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The range on our bolt can really jump around depending on so many variables. Going interstate speeds and if it's cold out will make it drop the most. One day driving in ames my wife said it barely moved the battery level. The one pedal driving took a little getting used to but now when I drive my truck I wish all cars could have that. I would seriously consider a silverado ev when they come out but it sounds like they are going to price them higher than they originally planned
So my boss had the lightning today and took it down to Marshalltown from Waterloo. Not sure what the SOC was when he left but he's currently stranded and sitting at a 6kW charger waiting to get enough range to get back to Waterloo with it.

• Wow
  • Funny
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY