When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.9%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 175 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 375 51.4%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The thing that scares me a little is what happens on 5/1. Millions of owners will lose FSD and when they hit their right stalk, it will just go to AutoPilot, which is not anything like FSD. There are a lot of drivers that have been using FSD religiously over the last few weeks, and may be accustomed to the car handling everything. I suppose they will put a lot of warnings out on the first day.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Where does that end? Where do you draw the line?

I don't want to argue it here, and won't, just make the point that reasonable people can disagree where that line is. And that unreasonable people can use that to justify all kinds of tyranny and oppression.

I draw the line where people are unreasonably afraid of technological innovation that could save lives.

I'm not philosophical about it. I don't where the line is. Somebody, somewhere thinks we've gone way too far with seatbelt laws. I don't care about them, the way I won't care about people uncomfortable about automated cars when they are just demonstrably safer.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I draw the line where people are unreasonably afraid of technological innovation that could save lives.

I'm not philosophical about it. I don't where the line is. Somebody, somewhere thinks we've gone way too far with seatbelt laws. I don't care about them, the way I won't care about people uncomfortable about automated cars when they are just demonstrably safer.
Yep, imagine a world where a vehicle death (or even just a vehicle crash) is a news story because it happens so infrequently.
I'll take that.

• Winner
Reactions: herbicide

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Exactly, all you will hear is somebody got run over, or the auto drive drove me right into a lake. But even if you can show statistics proving that it has less accidents than human drivers, it will be the emotional "what about the children?" that dominates headlines.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it"

Ah, I was reading through the latest posts and immediately thought of the same Men in Black quote.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep, imagine a world where a vehicle death (or even just a vehicle crash) is a news story because it happens so infrequently.
I'll take that.

Or even traffic synchronicity. A huge amount of traffic is just people driving like morons accelerating into brake lights of the cars in front of them.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Or even traffic synchronicity. A huge amount of traffic is just people driving like morons accelerating into brake lights of the cars in front of them.
I always think about this when I'm stuck in a big line at a stop light, if when the light turned green, every single car started moving forward at the same time.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I always think about this when I'm stuck in a big line at a stop light, if when the light turned green, every single car started moving forward at the same time.

Or if people on a massive freeway just cruised up to the brake lights in front of them instead of accelerating into them and slamming on their own brakes. Would ease congestion but also reduce accidents.

I’m skeptical as a society we can embrace the reality that self driving cars are safer yet still not 100% safe. People really struggle with per capita stats and percentages. I’m thrilled Big 12 is done being a small ten team conference mainly for that reason.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Apparently you do care that they don't think like you and want them to be forced to do so.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
All that sounds amazing... but the typical buyer doesn't care about 99% of that stuff. Sales figures are showing that the cool-factor crowd is tapped out and the next stage of buyers is more about budget and practicality. Those stats are just noise.

And some aren't exactly new - adaptive suspension, variable drive mode, ventilated seats (my last 3 Toyota's have had ventilated leather seats with both heat and cold controls), "performance chassis", "high performance brakes", Carbon Fibre Details... they're not that uncommon.

The new wave of buyers is going to see the price and a range under 300 miles, not much else. It's like us computer nerds. I built computers starting at age 8 and controlled every spec imaginable. But the mass market quickly turned from the nerdy builders to auto configured, pre-built gaming machines for 95% of the market.
I think more people would care about the 0 to 60 if they thought about it as a safety feature instead neat fast. Merging onto a busy interstate with slow acceleration vs fast makes a huge difference.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Apparently you do care that they don't think like you and want them to be forced to do so.

Good point. I care that human flourishing is impeded by ignorant people. I shouldn’t say that I don’t care what they think, I should say I don’t value what they think.

I can’t change how people think. I don’t think public policy should be set by people who are afraid of technology.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Good point. I care that human flourishing is impeded by ignorant people. I shouldn’t say that I don’t care what they think, I should say I don’t value what they think.

I can’t change how people think. I don’t think public policy should be set by people who are afraid of technology.
Likewise, lining up and following Elon Musk is not high on my list of things to do.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think more people would care about the 0 to 60 if they thought about it as a safety feature instead neat fast. Merging onto a busy interstate with slow acceleration vs fast makes a huge difference.

doesn’t matter when you have that soccer mom in front of you holding her phone up to her face while on speakerphone trying to merge at 30 mph. Not that I’m referring to a specific incident from this weekend that may have nearly caused a road rage incident.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Your version of flourishing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Is being so distracted that you can’t spend the effort to drive your own car really flourishing? Seems that the more that we push off to machine learning, the less humans need to do. And that’s going to lead to less daily decision making and mental acuteness, which will lead to being dumber and dumber until we get to Idiocracy levels.

On a simpler level, has installing handicap doors on all public buildings really made the human race flourish, or has it just made us all lazy?

• Dumb
Reactions: GBlade

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Is being so distracted that you can’t spend the effort to drive your own car really flourishing? Seems that the more that we push off to machine learning, the less humans need to do. And that’s going to lead to less daily decision making and mental acuteness, which will lead to being dumber and dumber until we get to Idiocracy levels.

On a simpler level, has installing handicap doors on all public buildings really made the human race flourish, or has it just made us all lazy?
But is driving the singular intellectual act a person can do on a car ride? When I lived out east, loved taking the train to work. Great opportunity to read.

I love the idea of self-driving cars on long road-trips.

Also, a couple years back read an article that self-driving cars could save people money. A car(s) is typically a person/family(s) 2nd largest expense, but the typical car is driven 4% of the day. So it may make financial sense to use ride services like Uber & Lyft sans a driver.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014

There are many groups that cannot drive: children, disabled, elderly. For those, having a reliable self driving car opens doors previously closed (like handicap doors!) such as, grocery store runs, Dr appointments, and after school activities. Not to mention it would probably raise the average driver's DQ by removing less comfortable drivers from the wheel and overall make roads safer.

I'd be more concerned with urban sprawl as it opens up more options for commuting.