When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
There are many groups that cannot drive: children, disabled, elderly. For those, having a reliable self driving car opens doors previously closed (like handicap doors!) such as, grocery store runs, Dr appointments, and after school activities. Not to mention it would probably raise the average driver's DQ by removing less comfortable drivers from the wheel and overall make roads safer.

I'd be more concerned with urban sprawl as it opens up more options for commuting.
I actually think it may reduce it. The options that self-driving cars open up are almost mind-boggling if you think about it. Especially if you combine it with a logistics/mass transit mindset. People no longer need garages or driveways, you greatly reduce the need for parking, and you could gain tremendous energy efficiency by units of transportation linking up…which would also allow for traveling of longer distances with fewer charging stops. Combine that with the fact that we’re on the precipice of flying cars…the world will look quite different in 30 years.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Is being so distracted that you can’t spend the effort to drive your own car really flourishing? Seems that the more that we push off to machine learning, the less humans need to do. And that’s going to lead to less daily decision making and mental acuteness, which will lead to being dumber and dumber until we get to Idiocracy levels.

On a simpler level, has installing handicap doors on all public buildings really made the human race flourish, or has it just made us all lazy?
It's the opposite. When you don't have to manage menial tasks, you can spend that extra horsepower on thinking about more abstract, complex and important things.

Do you really use accessible doors everywhere? I'm too impatient.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I love it. Theoretically they could do most of their long hauls during the night. If they could do deliveries during the night as well, that could greatly reduce traffic congestion.
I'm guessing they would run almost non stop (outside of loading/unloading/charging/etc). Nobody is going to invest in these and then park them half the day.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I'm guessing they would run almost non stop (outside of loading/unloading/charging/etc). Nobody is going to invest in these and then park them half the day.
I'd be curious what it will ultimately cost to hire these for daily commutes.

This service is essentially already available to consumers in decent sized cities via Uber/Lyft, but many still choose to take their own car as it's significantly more expensive (and less convenient) to hire a car twice a day compared to owning/maintaining your own.

I think a future of individually owned & operated self-driving cars that are stored more creatively/efficiently than a typical garage is the future in America. Minority Report does a solid job of illustrating what I envision.

That said, I don't expect to see anything even remotely close to that in any of our lifetimes.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd be curious what it will ultimately cost to hire these for daily commutes.

This service is essentially already available to consumers in decent sized cities via Uber/Lyft, but many still choose to take their own car as it's significantly more expensive (and less convenient) to hire a car twice a day compared to owning/maintaining your own.

I think a future of individually owned & operated self-driving cars that are stored more creatively/efficiently than a typical garage is the future in America. Minority Report does a solid job of illustrating what I envision.

That said, I don't expect to see anything even remotely close to that in any of our lifetimes.

If this were to come to fruition, there would certainly be a dynamic pricing system. So if you were commuting every day in peak hours, I wouldn’t expect this to be much cheaper than owning the car. But if you wanted to use it during the day to do shopping, it probably would save some money.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
If this were to come to fruition, there would certainly be a dynamic pricing system. So if you were commuting every day in peak hours, I wouldn’t expect this to be much cheaper than owning the car. But if you wanted to use it during the day to do shopping, it probably would save some money.
So the same as Uber/Lyft is now. Got it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So the same as Uber/Lyft is now. Got it.

Yes. But the question was whether people would get rid of their car because of an automated service rather than people. The number of Lyft/Uber drivers varies throughout the day based on demand. A person isn’t going to drive if there’s few people that want rides. An automated service wouldn’t have to. So the supply during the day would be much higher than with Uber/Lyft now. This making off peak usage cheaper. But it wouldn’t make peak usage any cheaper.

RamClone

May 6, 2018
Last week we purchased what may have been the last new 2023 Bolt EUV LT within 600 miles. Bought it in Arkansas and the drive home was long enough for us to decide we absolutely love this vehicle. Only complaint was our first charge was in a pouring rain in the middle of Missouri and I couldn't help but think how most gas pumps have a canopy to keep you somewhat dry. Other than that, 2 thumbs up!

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Elon just fired the entire Supercharger team...

What a disaster.

I don't know much about Tesla or electric cars. Why is this such a disaster? Many companies get rid of departments that are not doing a good job. I assume since these supercharger's are needed that he is putting someone else in charge who can get the job done better?

Reactions: khardbored

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I don't know much about Tesla or electric cars. Why is this such a disaster? Many companies get rid of departments that are not doing a good job. I assume since these supercharger's are needed that he is putting someone else in charge who can get the job done better?
It's Tesla's biggest selling point...up until now, when they sold access to other manufactures, and it's also very profitable for Tesla.

So basically, they built out an incredible network, convinced everyone to switch to NACS and gave them access, then blew up the entire team tasked with this buildout.

It's a DISASTER not only for Tesla owners, but for all EV owners.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I love it. Theoretically they could do most of their long hauls during the night. If they could do deliveries during the night as well, that could greatly reduce traffic congestion.

The initial application is to have the trucks run between "hubs" just off the interstates. Then human drivers do the "last mile" delivery transport to distribution centers, manufacturing plants, etc. I don't remember if they will use human drivers to uncouple/couple trailers or do reversing operations at the hub locations. There are air, electrical and mechanical connections to the trailer that are not automated.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneSpinning

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll come back in a month to see what "fired whole supercharger team" really means. Also, I'm in California this week, apparently no one here has received the anti tesla memo. It seem like every 5th vehicle here is a Tesla.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I'll come back in a month to see what "fired whole supercharger team" really means. Also, I'm in California this week, apparently no one here has received the anti tesla memo. It seem like every 5th vehicle here is a Tesla.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron