Where do you rank Scotty??

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I'm a younger fan but I've been a cyclone ever since i was born. I don't remember much of the 1990's teams or anything of the 80's teams but i was wondering how some cyclone fans would rank Scotty from a list of the greats.

Lets say, since the 3pt ball has been part of the college game and only the players who played their senior year, who are your top 10?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Scotty was a good Cyclone. I wouldn't put him in the elite class. Maybe somewhere in the Jake Sullivan or Rahshon Clark category.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Just from players i can think of besides Scott:

Rahshon Clark
Jake Sullivan
Fred Hoiberg
Jeff Hornacek
Barry Stevens
Jeff Grayer

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Scotty is an all time favorite, but not one of the all time greats IMO. Not taking anything away from him at all, he's a stud and a guy that when you look back in few years will be one of the guys that helped turn the program back around. It sucks for him that he's played on some of our worst teams in years, this season is the first year he actually got to play in games that meant anything.

Last edited:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I'll take the bait, and see where I could rank him with my sketchy memory. This is more of a personal favorite list, not really a who's the best.

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Jeff Hornacek
3. Dedrick Willoughby
4. Jamaal Tinsley
5. Jeff Grayer
6. Victor Alexander
7. Kelvin Cato
8. Jake Sullivan
9. Julius Michalik
10. Justus Thigpen
11. Jared Homan
12. Scott Christopherson
13. Hurl Beecham
14. JC Holloway
15. Diante Garret

I could see him passing Homan and Thigpen with a good showing in the tournament, but not Michalik, that guy was awesome. Now I'm rethinking the list and feel Michalik should be higher.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'll take the bait, and see where I could rank him with my sketchy memory. This is more of a personal favorite list, not really a who's the best.

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Jeff Hornacek
3. Dedrick Willoughby
4. Jamaal Tinsley
5. Jeff Grayer
6. Victor Alexander
7. Kelvin Cato
8. Jake Sullivan
9. Julius Michalik
10. Justus Thigpen
11. Jared Homan
12. Scott Christopherson
13. Hurl Beecham
14. JC Holloway
15. Diante Garret

I could see him passing Homan and Thigpen with a good showing in the tournament, but not Michalik, that guy was awesome. Now I'm rethinking the list and feel Michalik should be higher.

I say Julius Michalik should be #6. I was pretty you during his playing years but he was awesome!

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Definite top 5 3 point shooters in my eyes and a will be a favorite for many reasons (throat slash comes to mind) but I wouldn't put him in the Fred, Grayer, Tinsley, Fizer, etc "elite" group.

In recent memory I think putting him in with Blalock and Sullivan and similar tier of players isn't too much of a stretch.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Jeff Hornacek
3. Dedrick Willoughby
4. Jamaal Tinsley
5. Jeff Grayer
6. Victor Alexander
7. Kelvin Cato
8. Jake Sullivan
9. Julius Michalik
10. Justus Thigpen
11. Jared Homan
12. Scott Christopherson
13. Hurl Beecham
14. JC Holloway
15. Diante Garret

Didn't like Fizer?

EDIT: OOPs...Sorry didn't see about the playing his senior year....

Last edited:

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
I think a fair comparison would be Jake vs Scotty.

Obviously Scotty handles the rock more, but how clutch was Jake back then?

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Scotty went through a lot of crap with the Mcdoormat era but he never complained and always played extremely hard. That one season he played with mono and he continuously improved during his time here, especially this year. Some people rag on scotty from time to time but he'll be tremendously missed, i feel like he's been here for like 5 years, it'll be sad to him go. CA hasn't been here long but he's really contributed to this team and i think he's a great leader. He takes dumb shots time to time but he's also single handily won us some games this year. He'll be huge come tourney time

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

1. Fred Hoiberg
2. Jeff Hornacek
3. Dedrick Willoughby
4. Jamaal Tinsley
5. Jeff Grayer
6. Victor Alexander
7. Kelvin Cato
8. Jake Sullivan
9. Julius Michalik
10. Justus Thigpen
11. Jared Homan
12. Scott Christopherson
13. Hurl Beecham
14. JC Holloway
15. Diante Garret

Although I didn't see him play at Iowa State, based on lunchtime full-court pick-up games at State Gym in the early 90's, Gary Thompson has to be in the top 5. Even at that age, he was still knocking down long 3's, making great assists, and no one ever got an offensive rebound against him because he always put his body on you.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Although I didn't see him play at Iowa State, based on lunchtime full-court pick-up games at State Gym in the early 90's, Gary Thompson has to be in the top 5. Even at that age, he was still knocking down long 3's, making great assists, and no one ever got an offensive rebound against him because he always put his body on you.

Not to rain on your parade but you are missing quite a bit of the premise and then some. Gary Thompson never took a single 3 point shot in his days at Iowa State. I shudder to think what his scoring numbers might have looked like if they had a 3 point line back then, but they didn't. The original premise was players in the 3 point era.

I think Gary has to be at the top of everyone's list otherwise. Read his biography if you get the chance.

Someone mentioned Hornacek. Didn't the three point line come to the college game right after he graduated?