Where to find used rims in Des Moines area

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I just bought a 2006 Land Rover LR3 and I'm looking for some smaller rims so I can get some higher sidewalls for offroading. I drove around today on the east side and stopped in quite a few places but couldn't really find anything. Most places just had 20's. Anyone have any suggestions for places with a good used wheel selection?

I didn't make it to the salvage yards yet. For reference I'm trying to find some 18" BMW 162 style rims or similar. (BMW and Land Rover share bolt pattern and center huh diameter)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I just bought a 2006 Land Rover LR3 and I'm looking for some smaller rims so I can get some higher sidewalls for offroading. I drove around today on the east side and stopped in quite a few places but couldn't really find anything. Most places just had 20's. Anyone have any suggestions for places with a good used wheel selection?

I didn't make it to the salvage yards yet. For reference I'm trying to find some 18" BMW 162 style rims or similar. (BMW and Land Rover share bolt pattern and center huh diameter)

Don't you have to make sure the offsets match your current? That was the issue I had getting rims for winter tires on my Audi A5. The only Audi rims that fit were for A5, S4 and S5. Lots fit the bolt pattern but the offset was unique.

Was about to give up and order some secondary market rims from Tire Rack when I found some on Craigslist. Called and the lister for the used rims/snow tires was the local Audi dealer. :rolleyes:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
http://www.car-part.com/mobile/

It’s a huge salvage yard search website. I’ve always found my used parts through it.

Make sure you’re looking at backspacing, width and bolt pattern. If you run into backspacing issues, someone probably makes billet spacers for the LR3. Look around pirate4x4.com and do some research.

If you want new, 4wheelparts.com is constantly having sales tires, rims and combo sets. If you’re looking for MTs on the new tires, check Theisens too. I got some Cooper SSTs through them for dirt cheap.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and Boxerdaddy

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Don't you have to make sure the offsets match your current? That was the issue I had getting rims for winter tires on my Audi A5. The only Audi rims that fit were for A5, S4 and S5. Lots fit the bolt pattern but the offset was unique.

Was about to give up and order some secondary market rims from Tire Rack when I found some on Craigslist. Called and the lister for the used rims/snow tires was the local Audi dealer. :rolleyes:

Bolt pattern and center hub match. Offset may be different but have verified those 162's will work. You tube channel I've been following put them on the same model I have. They just need different bolts. That's mainly the reason I'm looking for the 162s as I know they look good and fit and don't really care beyond that. But yes.. Offset does matter

TheBentStick

Aug 15, 2012
You could buy used rims from Hilton. Just be forewarned that they've been clanged around quite a bit.

Help Support Us

Become a patron