Where was JJ Kohl

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I didn’t think Rocco played bad at all yesterday. Instead of putting in the back up QB, how about putting in a back up receiver who can catch? Do people really think at this point, the QB position is the reason for all of our offensive woes?

JJ didn’t look good at all against UNI, not sure why he’d have been ready for Iowa.

If anyone on the team "ain't it", it's Noel.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
JJ wouldn't have changed anything people! He would have still been running the same useless plays that Rocco was.

I see all these people saying JJ has a better arm than Rocco... does anyone know if that's really the case? Seeing highlights of JJ in high school I wasn't all that impressed with his arm strength. Now Dekkers, that's a different story, he has a cannon.... just no accuracy and bad decision making.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I’d agree Noel is a massive disappointment on the field, but JJ is also nowhere near ready.

Oh I agree for sure. I expect we see him next week though, and unless Becht gets hurt or throws like 3 consecutive INTs, that'll probably be the last time this season.

Reactions: AllInForISU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Wrong, he has an arm. It’s due to lack of experience and the blitzes that Iowa was sending.
Not a fan of blitzing being an excuse for our offense being so short pass dominant.

Iowa is Iowa- few surprises. So it's the staff's responsibility to game plan for taking deep shots. Whether that is play-action, max protection or moving pocket- our offense has to throw deep 6+ times a game. Otherwise, our running game will continue to struggle. It's tough to run when opponents dbs aren't worried about getting beat deep.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not a fan of blitzing being an excuse for our offense being so short pass dominant.

Iowa is Iowa- few surprises. So it's the staff's responsibility to game plan for taking deep shots. Whether that is play-action, max protection or moving pocket- our offense has to throw deep 6+ times a game. Otherwise, our running game will continue to struggle. It's tough to run when opponents dbs aren't worried about getting beat deep.

Agree. Iowa just stacked the box... knew we were no threat whatsoever downfield. To defend Iowa State, all you have to do is defend the first 10 yds from the line of scrimmage... and that is EASY to do.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I didn’t think Rocco played bad at all yesterday. Instead of putting in the back up QB, how about putting in a back up receiver who can catch? Do people really think at this point, the QB position is the reason for all of our offensive woes?

JJ didn’t look good at all against UNI, not sure why he’d have been ready for Iowa.

It’s not about being ready for Iowa 2023. It’s about being ready for Iowa/Schedule 2024. This isn’t 1991. You get a big recruit, you’re in a rebuild, you play the big recruit. Throw them to the wolves. There’s no substitute for game time. Not going to learn from mistakes if you don’t make any mistakes.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It doesnt matter who you put in at QB if the receivers are just going to drop everything that hits them in the hands.

We have some of the worst receivers I have ever seen. Some of the stuff Noel does are things that you learned not to do in Junior High, not to mention he cant catch a pass half the time.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Rocco looked out of sync, stared down his receivers (and yes lots of drops), but why wasn't JJ ever in the game to maybe drive a little life into the offense? It's going to be a long season by the looks of today. Strap in.
This is about the worst of the bad takes I've seen today. Step away from the keyboard for a while.

Reactions: AllInForISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It doesnt matter who you put in at QB if the receivers are just going to drop everything that hits them in the hands.

We have some of the worst receivers I have ever seen. Some of the stuff Noel does are things that you learned not to do in Junior High, not to mention he cant catch a pass half the time.

I was hoping this would be the year he gets the catch, and gets down field but I'm still seeing trying to juke/run to the side. It's either neglected in coaching or ignored one way or the other.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Toney from KC Chiefs would like a word.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Kohl was on the bench where he should be. It's not Rocco's fault our receivers looked like they were all 1st cousins of Edward Scissorhands. If you lower that number of drops by half yesterday it's a different game I think. That being said Rocco is still a RS Freshman and looked like it at times but you don't fix that by sticking a true Freshman in there to get killed by that Iowa front 7.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I thought Becht was fine yesterday. Other than the pick 6 I thought he looked just as good or better than Iowa's vaunted transfer QB. And the pick 6 wasn't totally his fault. Bad route and you can only throw those long out routes so many times before a good defense jumps it. I knew a pick was coming on one of those eventually

Reactions: MountainHigh

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is about the worst of the bad takes I've seen today. Step away from the keyboard for a while.
Did you watch the same game? Yes there were drops but there were also some God awful throws. You prep the future in a rebuild. Rocco's ceiling isn't near what JJ's is. He was the top recruit at QB our school has ever had since ratings and ranks began. If you couldn't see that our offense was lifeless for 3.5 qtrs then you have blinders on.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
JJ was not the answer yesterday. He didn't look ready against UNI. Iowa would have eaten him alive.