Votes: 78 40.6%
  • C: City/County

Votes: 66 34.4%

• Total voters

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm one of the weirdos who picked the first one. Seemed the most unique. Everyone keeps saying a lot of states have the red white and blue color scheme. But seems like a lot also have the country/city scheme, too.

I agree. Keep the counties. I wouldn't even care if they went back to the county numbers. You other old people remember those.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I'm one of the weirdos who picked the first one. Seemed the most unique. Everyone keeps saying a lot of states have the red white and blue color scheme. But seems like a lot also have the country/city scheme, too.

I agree. Keep the counties. I wouldn't even care if they went back to the county numbers. You other old people remember those.
Don't make me do math to figure out if I should be cursing Waverly or Dubuque.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
My family has a running joke that everyone with Marion county plates is a terrible driver. Funny thing is if I ever see someone make a turn without signaling or swerve from side to side, I check their plates and 80% of the time they happen to be from Marion even if I'm driving outside of Marion county.

I tend to lump people with Marshall plates as speeders based on my experiences. We are going to more of a wind energy state with all the wind turbines so I voted that one.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Without counties on the plates how will I be able to sit behind someone at a light and say "is that a real county? Where the **** is that located?"

Or saying, "so Wapello is not in Wapello County, nor Iowa City in Iowa County..."

(I know, county creation was a long process, beginning before cities when we were part of Michigan Territory and Wisconsin Territory, etc...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Iowa)

I like the country names as with others - fun to see where cars are from in state and out. Lots of people have probably never noticed it (e.g. the people on TV being asked to find "country X" on a map), but fun trivia I think.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I like the city and country one but the grass at the bottom looks stupid. If they would put the city and country at the top of the Great Wide Open one they'd have a sure winner. Like the dark blue better than the light blue.

Had posted in the other thread, but something like this:

zR8EDGi.png

Saved me a post (and a bad photoshop!) I agree - the bright grass is a tad neon as well, and boring compared to the (relatively less boring) rolling hills. Maybe if grass was mix of crops and prairie, etc.

Maybe this is their ultimate compromise plan.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Another vote. Why are we wasting money on changing this again?

What do you mean "again"? Iowa hasn't changed it in 20+ years (unless you consider changing the font color a few years back because the DOT had gone through all the letter/number combinations).

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Iowa DOT said these were done by their in-house design team (that exists?) and that they didn't cost taxpayers a dime (since I'd assume as salaried employees this was part of their regular work duties).

You will be able to get them early if you pay extra! Personally they'd have to pay me to put any of those on my vehicle.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
DG5nTAIVoAAmrFM

Updated from John Bosley. These are 1 million times better.

But, what he doesn't understand is that the graphic behind the numbers has to go. Fade-out or white-out the middle and move the bikers down to the farm scene and the wind turbines to the Des Moines scene and you got a winner.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Oh to all of those downvoters out there...at least you can tell the difference between a professional design vs. whatever it is that the Iowa DOT did.

He did a red/white/blue one just a little bit ago.

DG57dSLUIAAqP7h

Reactions: SECyclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
First off.... if this is costing the taxpayers ANYTHING at all to switch plates, then why in the **** are we changing it at all?

But if we are going to change them, then I'm one of those losers out there that likes the first one the best because I prefer a very simple and clean design. I think that one looks sharp, and reminds me of Grant Wood.

The red, white, and blue one just gives the look like "hey everyone, look how patriotic I am!". I had to go check too, because I thought at first it was the Russian Flag, and that would have just been too hilarious. If people want to pay more for a "patriotic" plate, like the state university ones, then fine.

And initially, I really liked the 3rd one the most, but the more I looked at it, I think the top line of the plate should just be "IOWA" only, with no pics. It just looks too busy to me to have the top line have a skyline, then the word "IOWA", and then a wind turbine and a farm too.

Give me the first one with the clean, "boring", sharp look with good colors too IMO.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Oh to all of those downvoters out there...at least you can tell the difference between a professional design vs. whatever it is that the Iowa DOT did.

He did a red/white/blue one just a little bit ago.

DG57dSLUIAAqP7h
Plates are usually viewed from 20' away or further. Little dinky details such as the above one will look like a child's faint scribbling at 20'. Not professional.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonewino

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The state is in a no-win situation every time they redesign the plates. Some people don't know why we have to put agriculture on our license plates, some people will hate the colors, etc. I would be fine with just a solid color like the old green ones but people would hate that too. In the end, it's a licence plate that isn't going to make a difference in anyone's life or make anyone want to live our visit Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron