whine during acceleration

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
cymechanics,

just recently I have noticed a whining sound as I push on my gas and when I relieve of the gas pedal the whining receeds...I got a new serpentine belt put in today but that made the whining worse. it is on the front right side of my 2007 altima. I am wondering if it is a bad pulley wheel, a bearing gone bad, the alternator, etc.

thanks for all the help

D

DistrictCyclone

It's probably the bearings in one of the pulleys. The new belt has more tension than the old one, which is why you didn't notice it before.

Do you have A/C? Try flipping it on during idle and when accelerating and see if you notice any changes in the sound.

(experience: novice. I used to do a lot of repairs/maintenance on my own back when I had a truck, but I rarely even lift the hood on my vehicle anymore)

D

DistrictCyclone

BTW, if it is a bad pulley, it's something you'll want to address; you won't want it to go out while driving. If it does, so goes the belt and you won't be able to power any accessories.

I had this happen to me when the belt tensioner wheel gave out one winter on that vast expanse of nothingness between Pocohontas and Humboldt. I was still 10 minutes from a town, it was late at night, and the temp was below zero, so I kept going. You can still drive without power steering and a water pump, but not for long; my engine was as close to overheating as it could have been by the time I made it to a gas station.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
cymechanics,

just recently I have noticed a whining sound as I push on my gas and when I relieve of the gas pedal the whining receeds...I got a new serpentine belt put in today but that made the whining worse. it is on the front right side of my 2007 altima. I am wondering if it is a bad pulley wheel, a bearing gone bad, the alternator, etc.

thanks for all the help

So you're married?

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Wow, this just happened on my 2004 maxima a week ago. It eventu ally went away on the highway when I reached 50 or so mph. Once slowed down it did not come back. I took it in to nissan since I needed an oil change anyway. They could not find anything but the service manager said that symptom could be caused by a loose heat shield. Mine wasn't too loose, but they tightened it. Haven't had the problem since. The heat shield is used to prevent a fire if you park in tall grass

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wow, this just happened on my 2004 maxima a week ago. It eventu ally went away on the highway when I reached 50 or so mph. Once slowed down it did not come back. I took it in to nissan since I needed an oil change anyway. They could not find anything but the service manager said that symptom could be caused by a loose heat shield. Mine wasn't too loose, but they tightened it. Haven't had the problem since. The heat shield is used to prevent a fire if you park in tall grass

I can easily see this problem arising if you drive a Maxima.

Last edited:

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Seriously, good luck to you. I have a 2000 Jimmy I've been chasing a squeal in for 2 years. I've changed idler pulley twice, tensioner once, A/C clutch and pulley, alternator and the belt at least a half dozen times. I've even had them check the alignment of my pulley's, still chirps under acceleration, but it's tolerable now.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
If the sound is coming through your radio speakers it could also be a vacuum line. I have one out in my truck. Different options on my AC/heat cluster have stopped working.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
what kind of whine? my first thought was vacuum leak. of course, what i don't know about cars could fill a book. i think they're called manuals...

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Believe it or not, check your power steering fluid level. For years my Pontiac Grand Prix made a whining sound whenever I hit the accelerator, but had no clue what was causing it. Some friends tipped me off that the power steering fluid might be low. Never even dawned on me because I wasn't having problems steering it, but lo and behold that was the problem and I haven't had a whining with that car since.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Believe it or not, check your power steering fluid level. For years my Pontiac Grand Prix made a whining sound whenever I hit the accelerator, but had no clue what was causing it. Some friends tipped me off that the power steering fluid might be low. Never even dawned on me because I wasn't having problems steering it, but lo and behold that was the problem and I haven't had a whining with that car since.

First thing I was going to say is to check the power steering. As you are stopped with the engine running turn the steering wheel. Is the whine you are hearing get louder or change at all. If so you need power steering fluid. If the whine stays constant as you are turning the steering wheel then that most likely isn't it.

About a year ago I had a neighbor bring me her Toyota Sienna van that had a weird whine to it. It ended up being a bearing going out of the alternator pulley. She took the van to a service joint where they tested the alternator and it was charging fine but they didn't check anything else. I took a screwdriver and held it against the outside of the alternator (obviously not close to the moving pulley and belt) and could feel a vibration. Changed the alternator and vibration and whine was gone.

If it's not one of those. Is the whine happen when you have it in gear and speeding up or when it neutral and revving the engine. If it's when you are not in gear that eliminates the transmission.

Check those out and report back.....:cool: