Whitney Williams transferring

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I'm not trashing anyone. I've had coaches that absolutely crossed what most people would consider "the line". There were lots of good kids on that team that he was way too harsh on, hell I was probably one of them, and they didn't get as much enjoyment out of it or left the sport. However, there were lots of guys on that team that benefitted from it, whereas they would have floundered under a coach with a gentler approach. It helped the team, we were succesful.

There's nothing wrong with these girls, but is it fair to say that BF needs to change his approach when the team is maintaining a high level of success? Because 1-2 girls on a given team find it to be too much for them? For every Whitney Williams or Ashley Arlen there is a Lyndsey Medders or Heather Ezell.

Or a Shellie Mosman or Anna Florzak. Two players who saw limited playing time but made significant contributions elsewhere.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You know, I think the difference is, well, let's look at Geno, in general he challenges his players constantly by trying to overcome impossible challenges in practice, like playing offense against 8 guys.....but in listening to him, he understands each of his players individually, and what motivates them on an individual level. I think that is the difference. Understanding how to adjust your motivation tactics to the individual. A good example during the UCONN/Stanford game, was that Geno, while upset and somewhat laying into his team, he was calm, he challenged them individually by daring them to prove him wrong, and he didn't lose his temper and call his players "effing" "stupid" "SOBs." Women are motivated different from men. We are wired differently. Working in an industry dominated by females, I have had to learn that I cannot take a universal approach to supervision, and must approach each of them individually. I have actually found that over the top negative criticism, like pull your head out of your butt, which tends to work well on men, results in a lot of restroom gossip and bitterness with females.

Excellent insight...

As far as I'm concerned, any college coach who calls a kid (particulalry a girl) a "effing stupid SOB" deserves a stiff right cross to the jaw from the parents of said kid...

Last edited:

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
I guarantee you that not ALL of them do!!

Read the whole post....I said the ones who go down and talk to him before the game...and from what ive seen (unless they are good actors) the ones who do go talk to him seem to be enjoying themselves, smiling, laughing, etc...

of course not all of his players love and respect him, but the ones who don't aren't the ones going and talking to him during pregame.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Or a Shellie Mosman or Anna Florzak. Two players who saw limited playing time but made significant contributions elsewhere.

I have heard - through third hand information, so take it for what it is worth - that the only reason Shellie stuck around was because she knew the value of a free education. She did not stay because of her loyalty or respect for BF.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have heard - through third hand information, so take it for what it is worth - that the only reason Shellie stuck around was because she knew the value of a free education. She did not stay because of her loyalty or respect for BF.

I'm not disputing the truth of that, but it's not like any of the girls that have transferred dropped out of school. They all got scholarships somewhere else.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There are days I love my boss, there are days I hate my boss. Do you think these young women are any different? There are days some of them absolutely hate Bill, there are some days they absolutely love him, the thing is, at the first sight of something wrong off the court, he's their father figure in Ames, along with the assistants, and they all know that.

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
The old adage of "buyer beware" applies here. If any girl is going to accept a full ride scholarship to ISU then she had better be aware of the way BF coaches. If you can't take his level of criticism then don't let the door hit you in the butt. I am not saying that his sideline antics don't bother me but then I see him design a play on the fly and it works and we win. We win...

The girls come to ISU for a FREE education and because we win and are competitive year in and year out. Don't ask BF to change a thing, just remember what we had before he got here and where we could be again if he left.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

the info you got isn't worth much. Shellie is as loyal and true blue a cyclone as you will ever find. She orally commited to ISU early in her high school career.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Don't fix what's not broken, unless BF himself thinks he needs to change

Also, sometimes listening to things and doing them are very different. For example, in my previous workplace, the fresh-grads didn't look too concerned when they were told during interviews that they'd have to work at least 55 hours / week during Jan-Apr. But when they had to actually do it, it was really different.

I believe BF is always honest: this is how I coach, these are the commitments (travel, practice, weight lifting, etc), but when it's time to actually do them (travel, get yelled at, practice for so many hours), it could be different. Life priorities could change too

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
the info you got isn't worth much. Shellie is as loyal and true blue a cyclone as you will ever find. She orally commited to ISU early in her high school career.

Actually, Shellie's Dad told a friend of mine nearly exactly the same thing.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
If this was MBB....the issue of language/verbal yelling would not come up.

agree? disagree?

Last edited:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I don't believe in the "don't change a thing; we got a good thing going" attitude. People should always look to improve. I'm sure if BF looks within he would find ways to improve as a person and a coach; it's the process of life.

Also, I noticed the same enabling behavior from LE supporters who encouraged him not to change a thing, and who were critical and vocal to the AD and President not to "micro-manage" LE and his behavior.

Not saying BF compares to LE, just comparing the same attitude from supporters who feel winning is everything.