Whitney Williams transferring

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
ah crap! Mansfield better be Aus 2.0 now.

Also, the rumor late recruiting of another shooter makes a lot more sense now.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
That is bad news! She would have started next year. Every time I watched her I was more impressed with her game. She was a player that kept getting better and better through her two years. Big loss!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It seems goofy that you'd want to transfer away from a team where you get lots of playing time, most likely even more next season, and where you have gone to back-to-back Sweet 16's. Maybe she's transferring to the men's team? We need a shooter...

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was not to surprised at this. I was shocked when we had all the transfers last year and she wasn't one. But after getting PT this year and in line to get it next year it's now kind of surprising. She really seemed to get yelled at but what players haven't. She also had the weekly word which was fun. I'm thinking she probably wants to get closer to home. I wish Whitney the best, I loved watching her play.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ah crap! Mansfield better be Aus 2.0 now.

Also, the rumor late recruiting of another shooter makes a lot more sense now.

I had been hoping that the recruitment was due to filling out the roster more and not due to a transfer.

Mansfield, Cole, and perhaps Schroll are the PG options now. Maybe Harris too? I don't know if she ever played some point or if she is strictly a 2-guard.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I always love the parting players statements they make. I know they are just trying not to ruffle feathers however when they say "I had an amazing 2 years at Iowa State". My first thought is always "then why are you leaving"?

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Waukee , IA
I always love the parting players statements they make. I know they are just trying not to ruffle feathers however when they say "I had an amazing 2 years at Iowa State". My first thought is always "then why are you leaving"?

Because she is "being pulled in another direction". What a lame excuse.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
BF is not an easy coach to play for (especially if you are a PG). The transfers this year and last indicate maybe he needs to learn to tone that down.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
BF is not an easy coach to play for (especially if you are a PG). The transfers this year and last indicate maybe he needs to learn to tone that down.

Really though, two of the transfers last year were recruiting missteps (Yackley and Rockall) and the Arlen thing kind of worked out. With the post class that came in, I don't know if she would have kept that starting spot everyone thought she had locked down.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. A coach has to be able to motivate his/her players. This includes getting in their face and making sure they understand where they are going wrong and what the team needs from them. Fennelly has demonstrated repeatedly that he can get the most from players that weren't expected to be as good as they became. Not everyone can handle that. Not everyone is brave enough to do what is necessary to reach their full potential. I don't think Bill needs to change a thing. On the men's board the coach gets bagged on because he doesn't appear to bring the players to their full potential. Here we are starting to bag on the coach because he is doing what is necessary to reach that potential.

Unbelievable.:no:

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Waukee , IA
I think that the athletes have changed. I think they are all a LOT more sensitive to constructive criticism than say 15 years ago.

Is this true for the mens basketball team, not just ours but all programs? I would sure say that it is even worse!