Who are your favorite golfers?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's an interesting sport, and without teams to root for (puke on that LIV), I find myself with certain favorites (usually based on a combination of ability and personality), other guys I find likable and fun to watch, and then the rest (with a very select few that I root against). Anyway, I was curious about everyone's list. Mine:

Favorites: Max Homa, Jason Day, Min Woo Lee, Xander Schauffele (+Tiger when he was in his prime due to sheer dominance and force of will)

Likable and fun to watch: Scottie Scheffler, Victor Hovland, Collin Morikawa, Sahith Theegala, Rory McElroy, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler, Tony Finau, Akshay Bhatia

Reactions: clonedude

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I've thought of this within the context of LIV before, but "favorite golfer" is kind of an interesting thought. More than any other sport, they all kind of do the same thing. Save a few people, there's not much flair or variation. So what it comes down to for me is so often the story in a given tournament. Take yesterday for example, I didn't really care about any of the guys at the top. I would have liked Theegala because he seems like a genuinely good dude. Xander is boring so I would have liked Bryson over Xander. Hovland seems like a good dude so I would have preferred him over either Bryson or Xander.

So I guess the guys I root for as I watch tend to be relative to the other contenders. I don't really go into any one tournament saying "man, I really hope this guy wins."

Reactions: Cyclonepride

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Favorites at the moment, Rory is the easy answer, but Homa, Hovland, Theegala, Bryson, Bhatia, Fleetwood, Xander, I like all those guys and more. Nelly Korda on the women's side is impossible to not like.

The only guys off the top of my head that I don't care for, Patrick Reed is obvious, and Patrick Cantlay just seems like he sucks, nothing likable about him for me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've thought of this within the context of LIV before, but "favorite golfer" is kind of an interesting thought. More than any other sport, they all kind of do the same thing. Save a few people, there's not much flair or variation. So what it comes down to for me is so often the story in a given tournament. Take yesterday for example, I didn't really care about any of the guys at the top. I would have liked Theegala because he seems like a genuinely good dude. Xander is boring so I would have liked Bryson over Xander. Hovland seems like a good dude so I would have preferred him over either Bryson or Xander.

So I guess the guys I root for as I watch tend to be relative to the other contenders. I don't really go into any one tournament saying "man, I really hope this guy wins."
The thing I like about Xander is that, by all reports, everyone loves the guy and loves playing in his group. Always seems upbeat and smiling (except when he is in contention in a big one, he looked serious as hell yesterday). I agree on Theegala though.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I actually find it really hard to pick a favorite. I enjoy watching these younger players and how well they interact with each other on the course. You don't have to be a complete prick like Bryson, Brooks, or Prime Tiger to be considered competitive.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I get the "appeal" but I'm also over her act. She couldn't hack it as a golfer so at this point the only thing she has going for her is a huge set of cans.
I would just like to remind all of her "fans" that you have the internet. You can see hot women naked or even having sex on a golf course if you want. You don't have to waste your time with a hack media influencer wearing tight clothes on twitter or Instagram.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would just like to remind all of her "fans" that you have the internet. You can see hot women naked or even having sex on a golf course if you want. You don't have to waste your time with hack media influencer wearing tight clothes on twitter or instagram.
This is exactly where I was getting ready to go. She's a hack.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Payne Stewart was my favorite growing up. Fred Couples was another. Everyone is kind of this same replica corpo-line walker social media management Co. type now. All kind of just the same guy.

I like guys like Kisner and Pat Perez if I have to pick someone, at least a little different although Kiz is now going to announcer route so they will be giving him the squeaky clean treatment.

Reactions: 2122

Mar 21, 2021
Long John for being real.
Bryson D. also for marching to his own beat.
Freddie for the swing/turn.
Phil, if for no other reason that for this:

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Long John for being real.
Bryson D. for marching to his own beat.
Freddie for the swing/turn.
Phil, for this:

Golfers to me are kind of supposed to be ********. Not like Tiger Woods cheat in your wife type ********. Like if the pga or liv didn’t exist these guys would be sharking at their local courses on that grind trying not to have a 9-5.

Basically tin cup. Relatable to the average person/player. I don’t want my favorite golfers to have a designated stretching coach.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Golfers to me are kind of supposed to be ********. Not like Tiger Woods cheat in your wife type ********. Like if the pga or liv didn’t exist these guys would be sharking at their local courses on that grind trying not to have a 9-5.

Basically tin cup. Relatable to the average person/player. I don’t want my favorite golfers to have a designated stretching coach.
Mickelson became 100% more likeable to me when he went away from the clean cut, family man schtick that seemed phony and went all in on the **** talking, cocky, gambling jokester that is his true personality.