Who is in the (BIG) Cyclone Camp?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
When Pollard travels to each of the BIG schools in the coming weeks to drum up support for ISU, which schools are 1) yea, c'mon. 2) nope, 3) let me think about it-- who's coming with you?

The East features Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers, while the West comprises Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
What I find interesting is that I presume, since we already are research partners with a few schools, the presidents would all probably say, "sure, why not".

The ADs, besides UNLs and Barta probably have sympathy for us, especially Alvarez and Gene Smith.

The coaches, I'd guess would like the geography but not having to complete for recruits. But, with Campbell, they know they already have been so maybe not a huge deal?

At this moment we belong there. We're motivated for success and physical growth more than some of their current members.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
"...In my opinion, Iowa State is a perfect fit for the Big Ten."

"If you add a team more suited to the West, it makes sense to add one suited to the East. WVU. ''

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When Pollard travels to each of the BIG schools in the coming weeks to drum up support for ISU, which schools are 1) yea, c'mon. 2) nope, 3) let me think about it-- who's coming with you?

The East features Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers, while the West comprises Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin.
Just glancing at the list, I assume that if ISU and KU joined, one obvious option would be for Purdue to flip to the East?

I’m not sure how switching to three separate divisions would work.

Reactions: RezClone

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
You’re describing Tavernhawks. Not responsible adults.
Board of Regents will fight tooth and nail to avoid one of their two flagship universities being demoted. And so Iowa will vote 'yes' because they know that is the wishes of the BOR - regardless of any less than supportive feelings there might be individually.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
IF, and that's a big IF, the B1G even wants to expand.... I think nearly every school in the B1G would welcome us.... except for Iowa. Iowa hates us with a passion, and right now are VERY worried about our success.
Good thing it’s not Kirk Ferentz and fans making the decisions. Let the adults figure it out and don’t mind those cry baby fans.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Wow. Rutgers/NJ writers have a high opinion of themselves..........

Would the Big Ten want the Big 12 leftovers? Iowa State and Kansas are AAU members and fit the Big Ten’s footprint. The Cyclones would fit into the league just fine, but they would not move the needle much from a big-picture standpoint. It would feel like an act of charity more than a strategic pickup.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just glancing at the list, I assume that if ISU and KU joined, one obvious option would be for Purdue to flip to the East?

I’m not sure how switching to three separate divisions would work.

If Purdue would be forced to go to the East, then they would also vote no on ISU joining.... they have no hope at all in the East..... the West is very average.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wow. Rutgers/NJ writers have a high opinion of themselves..........

Would the Big Ten want the Big 12 leftovers? Iowa State and Kansas are AAU members and fit the Big Ten’s footprint. The Cyclones would fit into the league just fine, but they would not move the needle much from a big-picture standpoint. It would feel like an act of charity more than a strategic pickup.

That's balsy coming from an institution that has no business in the B1G given how the cable/satellite service providers are dieing off. B1G would be WAY better off swapping ISU for Rutgers. But that's not going to happen, and at the end of the day he's not wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tornado man

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
That's balsy coming from an institution that has no business in the B1G given how the cable/satellite service providers are dieing off. B1G would be WAY better off swapping ISU for Rutgers. But that's not going to happen, and at the end of the day he's not wrong.
Balsy? Hardly describes it.

Rutgers sold 16,585 season tickets for the 2019 season, marking the lowest total since at least 2012, when Rutgers was accepted into the Big Ten.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron