Who Still Uses Third Party Anti-Virus Software?

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Experts say its a waste.(I have a subscription to Norton)

But most experts agree that the built-in antivirus protections on any major system — a fully updated Windows or Apple computer or an Android phone or iPhone — already protect against viruses just as well as the major programs people can pay for. It’s important, however, for users to keep their systems protected through automatic software updates offered by all major software providers

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I don’t anymore, although my work computer still has it.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I have no idea what Mac or Windows users do. Wasn't Defender supposed to keep the Windows people safe? Very few Linux users have an anti-virus of any type.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Experts say its a waste.(I have a subscription to Norton)

But most experts agree that the built-in antivirus protections on any major system — a fully updated Windows or Apple computer or an Android phone or iPhone — already protect against viruses just as well as the major programs people can pay for. It’s important, however, for users to keep their systems protected through automatic software updates offered by all major software providers

Apple I never have. On rare occasion, I get some bad looking message, always just spam.

On Windows, I haven’t for quite a few years, and just use Microsoft’s. I haven’t had any problems — unlike I had prior to that, on this site and a bit on others, enough to know the various kinds of problems you might encounter. I am generally on pretty safe networks, but I am really glad I didn’t I didn’t buy third-party, as there was no need for me to. I had issues with a Lenovo I bought last year, which were hard to detect and diagnose, so I was concerned, but it turned out it was the computer. After sending it in twice, they replaced the hard drive and the problems disappeared.

Reactions: wxman1

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
You need more than just antivirus protection. Also, no single product catches everything.

I use the same brand as my vpn. It has caught attacks from malicious websites the built in stuff didn't catch. Also has a good ransom ware recovery process and does a decent job keeping tracking cookies and other spyware under control.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Haven’t used any third party programs for 3ish years now. Have had zero issues.

I’m sure if I had been using one over that time it would have let me know how many hundreds of deadly viruses it saved me from…

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
I use Norton, not only for the security features but also for things like password management and VPN. Nice to be able to use these on multiple devices, including mobile, and keep it all managed under one consistent "ecosystem". All for like $20-30 per yr. - so, worth it to me.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I haven't used AV since roughly Windows 10 release time, when they reworked Defender. I just got my parents off of Norton last month.

The average person needs 3 things to be safe: a base OS AV like Defender (just keep it up to date, which it does itself), a good adblocker in browser, and enough sense to not click on or download unfamiliar things on the internet.

• Agree
Reactions: Clone83

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
If it is for personal, just use a free one.

For my small business laptop, the it team I consulted with recommended paid for a little extra protection. Went with Bitdefender at their rec and have liked it the last 1.5 years.

License let me put it on my phone that I use for work and that has some cool features. I pin protect certain apps so that if someone does get my phone unlocked sensitive apps are under further protection. Also, if someone enters incorrect pin it secretly snaps a photo of them. My first criminal to have their photo taken was my 2 year old daughter and we all got quite a laugh out of it.

Reactions: 2122

Mar 21, 2021
I caved to google years ago and now use 4 Samsung chromebooks and never a single issue - that I know of!

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I use Malwarebytes but only because I get it as part of another subscription. It integrates pretty well with Windows Defender and is fairly non-intrusive.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I know there is something on my work computer. Forget what it's called though.

Haven't run anything on my personal computer in a long time. Like others have mentioned I keep up to date with Windows, run an ad blocker, and don't click on stuff that I'm not sure of. Probably not the greatest methodology, but I do most stuff on my phone nowadays so I'm rarely downloading stuff on my laptop.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Ditched all my Windows computers for Linux a few years ago. The need for antivirus evaporated when I made the change.

These days, running a firewall and having your browser locked down are higher priority than running AV on your system. That said, I would still run AV on any Windows computer that my wife, my dad, or a teen has access to.

H

Reactions: cyfanatic

Help Support Us

Become a patron