Who uses AT&T mobile?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm leaving TMobile after 4 months. Coverage has been terrible. Since I'm stuck with a GSM phone I need to switch to AT&T. We went to the black hills this summer and we were using the AT&T network all the way there. What are your experiences with them?

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'm leaving TMobile after 4 months. Coverage has been terrible. Since I'm stuck with a GSM phone I need to switch to AT&T. We went to the black hills this summer and we were using the AT&T network all the way there. What are your experiences with them?

I used to have AT&T, and switched to Verizon primarily because of Verizon's superior coverage. In urban areas or along major highways, AT&T is just fine, but they have quite a few large "dead zones" where you're without coverage. Not that Verizon doesn't, but I've found that they're much fewer and smaller than AT&Ts.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
We just did a trip to Montana (Glacier Nat Park) from DSM and went across SD out, and ND back. I was really impressed with the coverage on AT&T. We had nothing in the park - which we expected. But we had very good coverage and speeds the rest of the trip. We never really went off the beaten path however.

Compared to about 4-5 years ago when we first took AT&T across SD and would've had better communications with smoke signals.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I really don't go off the beaten path with my phone. But I would like to use the data when going from DSM to Iowa City or Ankeny to Ames, Polk City, or anywhere 5 miles outside DSM/Ankeny city limits. Can you use data while on the phone? That's one thing I love about TMobile.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I echo what others have said. I've been with ATT for 7 years or so and love the speed. My only issue is I that I love the outdoors. When I'm traveling for work, no problem. I see to do great when I'm along major roads/towns etc. When I get off the beaten path though my connection sucks. This always becomes an issue with hunting season and no one can get a hold of me. I plan on going back to Verizon in a few weeks.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I had ATT in college and couldn't get reception in my apartment. But that was ten years ago, so I'm sure their coverage has improved.

I also had them through work about 6 years ago and there were spots in Indianapolis where I couldn't get coverage. Just seemed to unreliable to me. Switched to verizon.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I really don't go off the beaten path with my phone. But I would like to use the data when going from DSM to Iowa City or Ankeny to Ames, Polk City, or anywhere 5 miles outside DSM/Ankeny city limits. Can you use data while on the phone? That's one thing I love about TMobile.

You can do all of this just fine with AT&T.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I live in Des Moines... spotty coverage with ATT. Will be switching to Verizon.

Like multiple places? I know that I used to have issue with Sprint and Verizon when I drove home to Ankeny from DSM. Seems odd that there are spots in DSM that have an issue.

Cyclone44

Apr 11, 2006
I know this thread is about ATT/cell phones. But, just wanted to ask if any one has Mediacom for their home phone. I have it and have had problems where it just drops dead here in Ames. I got two new modems the first one helped for a little while and then it had problems like my old one. The last new one seems to be doing better and has only dropped a couple of calls.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I know this thread is about ATT/cell phones. But, just wanted to ask if any one has Mediacom for their home phone. I have it and have had problems where it just drops dead here in Ames. I got two new modems the first one helped for a little while and then it had problems like my old one. The last new one seems to be doing better and has only dropped a couple of calls.

Landlines plus Mediacom equal an early death.