Why do you think the team is doing so poorly this season?

What happened to the 2021 football season?

• Last year was a fluke - unreasonable expectations (Not that good)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • Last year everything went right - didn't get the bounces this year (Not that lucky)

Votes: 269 64.8%
  • Players read the press too much and didn't work as hard

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • Coaching fails: player development - play calling etc

Votes: 66 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 36 8.7%

• Total voters

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
200.gif

Mar 14, 2019
Been bad and unlucky on the road this year. Bad and unlucky against Tech/WVU and still had multiple chances to win late. Special teams was horrible against Baylor and still had chances to win late. If they don't scoop and score before half last weekend against OU, I think we win. Literally a few plays, and some horrible calls (mainly WVU game) away from being atop of the conference. We were just flat out horrible against Iowa.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
No one can deny that luck is certainly involved in aspects of sports, and last year whether we like it or not, our results had some luck to them. That's not to take away the wonderful season we had, but it certainly contributed to our success. Now this year, it seems the luck has gone away and we haven't gotten all the lucky breaks. All of our losses (minus the Iowa one) have been very close. But outside of luck, I'd say this coaching staff has let down the players immensely. I believe we have the talent to where we could've gone back to Arlington, but our execution was terrible. I still believe in Campbell but there needs to be an evaluation of our OL and play calling. Tom Manning and Jeff Meyers should not be on the staff come fall of 2022.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
a) Bad luck as opposed to good luck in 2020

b) Defense has regressed a tad from last year rather than improved (key injuries are a contributing factor here)
b1) Secondary/pass coverage has been wildly inconsistent
b2) Getting QB pressure 3 has not been quite as good as last year.

c) Offensive line has been playing hurt/may not have the depth needed to quell those injuries.

Despite the clamoring, complaints of ISU anemic offense are greatly exaggerated. The calls for Manning's removal are humorous. Any OC looks bad when the O-line isn't playing great or injured. Also, having Remsburg available this season would have really helped too.

Sometimes progress is not linear which fans cannot always handle.

Last edited:

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The strip sack/fumble at Baylor that Eny didn’t get on inside the BU 10. The finger tipped past that was intercepted inside the 20, that would’ve been a TD and lead grabbing score.

The strip fumble against OU where the ball lays in the end zone for what seemed like a year only to have 330 pound lineman perfectly pick it up and run 2 yards to avoid a safety. That would’ve been the “get back TD” that ISU gave OU to end the first half.

Those to name a few.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
We won a lot of close games last year. I also don’t think we are or were Top 10 good. I definitely bought into the hype and probably shouldn’t have. Had my cyclone goggles on. I think we are still a good team, but not 11-1 or 10-2 good obviously. Disappointing season, but as an Iowa State fan it’s always it is what it is.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They had a much bigger target on their backs this year, and that's a whole new ballgame when everyone is looking at you as a big game every week. The difference between 6-5 and 10-1 was really a razor's edge.

Regression to the mean.

The team went from the right side of the luck distribution to the left side.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron