Why does everyone think our schedule is brutal?

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I've seen many references to our "brutal" schedule. Realistically, what's so brutal about it?

There are only 2 teams that I think are better than us in OK and Texas.

Our schedule is NOT brutal, but may appear to be if you go by the name of the opponent only.

We play in the Big 12 which is a BCS Conference. If Nebraska, KSU and Colorado were as good as their recent name, our schedule would be brutal. Fortunately for us, Nebraska is the only respectable one of the bunch and I'm confident we'll beat them at home. If we consider our current schedule to be brutal, we're completely screwed if Nebraska, KSU and Colorado return to their former selves.

Is this a matter of low expectations because we're Iowa State---making excuses before the season even begins? This schedule is not that strong and is definitely not brutal.

If we consider this schedule to be brutal, maybe we should play in a different conference. It's down as a whole right now. What happen when the cycle shifts back. Will we accept mediocrity because the other teams are just too good? I won't. Not for a coach who's been here for more than a decade. I don't think Mac would want me to.

Demand more than mediocrity and if mediocrity happens, don't celebrate it or excuse it because our opponents are just too good. Why aren't we that good?

We'll go 9-3 this year at worst w/anything less being a failure. 10 wins is still very likely.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
I tend to agree this schedule isn't that awful. The two toughest teams are on the road...and really, if you're going to lose, why not do it on the road? Having those games at home would only hurt the morale of the entire fan base.

A Big XII schedule will always be tough considering the nature of the conference. Saying the schedule is tough before the season is just a crutch...gives us something to use in case of failture.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anything less than 9-3 will be a failure? Thank god you're not my boss, or I'd probably be on the curb right now. One of those really agressive bums too.

We make a big deal about the schedule because it's a top five schedule. There is no way around that. I'm not making excuses for it... but I think saying anything less than 9-3 is a failure is a little overzealous.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It's only considered brutal because we play a string of very tough games. We've got two games at home versus Toledo and UNLV before we end up playing at Iowa, at Texas, Nebraska, at OU, and Texas Tech. The schedule would not be so bad if those games were scattered throughout the schedule, or if we had a Bye week between two of those games, but the fact that we play five tough games all in succession lends itself to the toughness of the schedule. It's not an excuse for mediocrity. Look at Florida. They've got about as tough schedule as we do, and they're also a very good team, yet they're expected to lose at least 3-4 of those games.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
"They're expected to lose at least 3-4 of those games"

Not by their fans they're not. They'll **** bricks if they lose 3-4 of those games. Maybe that's why their program is farther along than ours. They expect to win every game and don't accept or celebrate mediocrity any more.

Should we not take into account the fact that we finish with the turds of the Big 12 to go along with our tough run in the middle of our schedule?

We should win our last 4 games for CERTAIN and probably our last 5. Mix in an *** kicking of Nebraska at home, UNI, UNLV and Toledo and there's 9 wins. That's not at all too much to ask.

The over under on a successful season is 9. If we can't do it with this offense, then I believe we may have peaked under Mac.

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com
"They're expected to lose at least 3-4 of those games"

Not by their fans they're not. They'll **** bricks if they lose 3-4 of those games. Maybe that's why their program is farther along than ours. They expect to win every game and don't accept or celebrate mediocrity any more.

Should we not take into account the fact that we finish with the turds of the Big 12 to go along with our tough run in the middle of our schedule?

We should win our last 4 games for CERTAIN and probably our last 5. Mix in an *** kicking of Nebraska at home, UNI, UNLV and Toledo and there's 9 wins. That's not at all too much to ask.

The over under on a successful season is 9. If we can't do it with this offense, then I believe we may have peaked under Mac.

I agree, we could have had 9-10 wins last year had we held onto to 2nd half leads. if we are better than last year (which we should be) we should hang onto those second half leads and come out on top of most of our games.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Every fanbase thinks they should and will be better in August. I think certain parts of the offense will be better, creating a better overall unit. I also believe that the defense will be worse... and in my opinion this is why the team will not win more than 8 games. The people that are predicting double digit wins... are definitly drinking the kool-aid hard. OH YEAH!!

Again, I pray I will be wrong about this, but I doubt I will be.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Every fanbase thinks they should and will be better in August.

Hell, even the KSU fans are optimistic about a successful season. We can preach to the choir about how good this team should be this year, but until the games are played, we're doing nothing but getting our hopes up.

EDIT:

Fans can whine all they want, but they get to the point where they can only do so much. Fans don't play the games; the coaches and players do. I don't think it's a fan's purpose to sit on a throne and demand perfection from the team that they support. Florida's schedule is simply brutal because of the teams that they play on the road in the SEC. To say that our Big 12 schedule is brutal would be more of a complement to the strength of the conference, rather than our team's inability to get it done.

Last edited:

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Believe me, if anyone was demanding anything close to perfection, Mac would've been fired after last year.

What I won't accept is this notion that 9 wins would be some sort of earth shattering accomplisment.

Mac is the Dean of the Big 12, yet we temper our expectations because of how many times Mac coached teams have melted down before. Last year was the perfect example. I refuse to accept mediocrity and that's what we have been getting and many of you HOPE to get. Granted, Mac got us to this point where we should expect more, but that's what he's been paid to do.

Take the next step (when NU, Colorado, KSU are down), or get someone who will.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Here now...while I don't think outside of Iowa, Texas and OU our schedule is as tough as some make it out to be...should we lose those three and win the rest...D-Mac, the staff and the players deserve some major kudos.

I'd be damn happy with a 9-3 season...That should put us in the Holiday bowl...Alamo at the worst.

Another mountain this team has never climbed.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Believe me, if anyone was demanding anything close to perfection, Mac would've been fired after last year.

What I won't accept is this notion that 9 wins would be some sort of earth shattering accomplisment.

Mac is the Dean of the Big 12, yet we temper our expectations because of how many times Mac coached teams have melted down before. Last year was the perfect example. I refuse to accept mediocrity and that's what we have been getting and many of you HOPE to get. Granted, Mac got us to this point where we should expect more, but that's what he's been paid to do.

Take the next step (when NU, Colorado, KSU are down), or get someone who will.

Maybe I've been drinking the JP kool-aid lately but our football program, for what it has to work with money-wise and facility-wise, is an excellent program. Our budget is terrible compared to other top Big XII schools yet we have challenged for a North title and a chance for a BCS bowl in the Big XII title game for the past 2 seasons...and those were both at 7-5. I understand we didn't get it done but isn't it nice to actually play for something rather than hoping we can win 1-2 games which was the case before Mac got here?

If we want to take the next step towards being a top Big XII program, people need to open the checkbook and donate. If that happens, I don't doubt that Mac can get us to the next level. I realize that money doesn't guarantee sucess...but it sure has a good track-record.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
While some people get tired of hearing that cloneworld...I never will. Why? Because there is a direct correlation between $$ and success...success and money.

Although...it is a question of "What came first, the chicken or the egg". Some fans feel the money must be there before the success can be. Others feel success should come first, then fans will hand over the cash.

It's both really and when you compare ISU football today to ISU football 10 years ago...the program IS having success. So...the money is starting to show up.

As long as ISU is able to continue the success...the money will continue to come in...hopefully assisting in the growth of success.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
What doesn't Mac have at ISU that he needs to win? A lot of major programs spend $$ just to spend it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We really dont need the team to get discouraged when they lose a few games in the middle of the tough stretch of schedule. Cause if they get down they are more likely to lose games we shouldn't. ie Baylor last year.

kuney1

Mar 20, 2006
ISU only has 3 starters returning on defense and will be playing young untested players at key positions. Given that and the # of teams that played in bowls last year on our schedule, I would agree the schedule is a challenge.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What doesn't Mac have at ISU that he needs to win? A lot of major programs spend $$ just to spend it.

Ok...I'm going to attempt to be calm about this.

*deep breath*

Why do you think Pollard has wasted no time to enact his Master Plan? Do you think it's just a reason to spend money? Outside of the indoor facility...compare what ISU has to the rest of the Big 12...even a lowly football program like Baylor.

Good facilities draw two important types of people. Recruits and fans. Recruits create wins. Fans create dollars. Rather important things, eh?

Do you know that our entire athletic revenue does not even equal the revenue Iowa has from their football program alone? It's amazing we've been able to compete with them for recruits and wins. And don't even get me started comparing our budget to that of what the other Big 12 schools have.

Crap...you did get me started. But I won't talk about it...read this article...

CN Budget Link

Woooo-saaaaa. Woooooooo-saaaaaaaaa.

I think I'm better now.

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
I love and ISU and support with heart and finance as hard as I can go...but if we are able to manipulate 7 to 8 wins out of this very difficult schedule...I will take a jumper's leap off Hilton in gold spandex into a shallow pool of KY.
Perhaps I have become a right pessimistic dolt following my experience at KU last fall?

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
Ok...I'm going to attempt to be calm about this.

*deep breath*

Why do you think Pollard has wasted no time to enact his Master Plan? Do you think it's just a reason to spend money? Outside of the indoor facility...compare what ISU has to the rest of the Big 12...even a lowly football program like Baylor.

Good facilities draw two important types of people. Recruits and fans. Recruits create wins. Fans create dollars. Rather important things, eh?

Do you know that our entire athletic revenue does not even equal the revenue Iowa has from their football program alone? It's amazing we've been able to compete with them for recruits and wins. And don't even get me started comparing our budget to that of what the other Big 12 schools have.

Crap...you did get me started. But I won't talk about it...read this article...

CN Budget Link

Woooo-saaaaa. Woooooooo-saaaaaaaaa.

I think I'm better now.

(rubbing out the knots in ISUFan2's shoulders) there...there...have a another hot cup of cider...it is just a post after all....:)

Last edited:

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
It's Mac's job to make sure they don't get discouraged and since he is a great motivator, they won't. If you look at the season as a whole, we have a very good chance to run the last 5 five games off and finish hot.

Again, though, what does Mac need that he doesn't have (that more $$ could buy)?