Why is life worth living?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Anxiety sucks. I’ve had it basically all of my young life so far. Medicated. It has helped but nothing fully cures anxiety. My dad has it. I don’t have many triggers as a panic attack usually just comes from nowhere but I hate driving interstates. If I don’t have a daily routine my anxiety 100% gets out of whack.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I recently learned the Japanese have a beautiful phase for this "ikigai" - which loosely translates to "reason for being". Spoiler like many others I'm still searching for mine... but this is as close as I've come.

For me, life is worth living because I want to keep trying new things with those I love. Creating new memories, sharing new experiences, learning and growing through angst, failure, discomfort, fear, etc.
Just got this book for Christmas and I'm excited to read it.

Also, A Man's Search For Meaning is an amazing book as well. Viktor Frankl, the create of logotherapy, wrote it and discusses what gets people through tough times. He went through Auschwitz.

Reactions: MugNight

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
First, thanks for sharing your story @Jeremy . I know that you clearly stated that you are not asking for support, but I can’t help but to worry for you.

Your story reminds me of my mom. She definitely had OCD and depression. She was also nervous and anxious a lot, but I don’t know if she was ever diagnosed with anxiety. Anyways, I can remember once when my sister and I were in elementary school that she mentioned something to my dad about having considered suicide. I was a kid, so I don’t know all of what their plan was to confront this. I doubt that she ever saw a therapist, but she would take antidepressants... and I’m sure religious faith was part of their plan to combat this. Anyways, I believe one of the things that kept her going was taking care of me and my sister… similar to what you stated.

So time went on and I had completely forgotten that she had even mentioned suicide all those years ago. My mom seemed like a healthy and strong person who could always handle anything. Both my sister and I graduated from college, got married, bought houses, and had finally found great jobs. I started my current job in February 2015. It seemed like we both were in very good spots in our lives. I suppose my mom finally thought that we no longer needed her for support. That her job was done. In April 2015 she ended up taking her own life, and it took our family by complete surprise.

It’s been over 7 years now, and I still think about her every day. Losing her is definitely the hardest thing that I’ve had to deal with. I’m sure that her loss has been even harder on my dad and sister. I just hope that you will always be there for your family. Even if your kids grow up and seem to have made it. Your job as a parent is never finished. They will always need you, and your life is always important. I would pay anything to be able to talk to my mom again, or just ask her advice on the most trivial of topics.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you come here just for sports topics, I apologize in advance, but feel free to hit the back button as this is a different sort of post - and lengthy. If somebody finds it offensive, just report it and I'll remove it. If it's too long, I'm sorry.

Since I'm one of the very few members that is NOT anonymous, I was going to post this under a new account. However, I've gotten to understand I am the ****** up person I am so it doesn't matter if my name is attached to it - be proud of who you are. Hell, I was doxxed with house pictures, tax info, etc the 1st or 2nd year of CF and much worse since. Instead, despite putting more out there about myself than I'd normally like, my hope is maybe a single person somewhere will better understand a loved one, friend or colleague that is challenged and encourage them to seek help if they haven't in the past.

Please understand that while I have to put my story below to convey anything, this isn't a pity party or anything where I'm seeking support. I've had that for 15 years since CF started. This is hopefully to open eyes for somebody else's story to have a good ending and for others to take a chance to tell their story if they so desire.

Most days I wake up dreading the fact that I woke up, but not in the Monday morning work way. Too many times over the years it was predetermined that I wasn't going to, even very recently. Listen to Ghost by Badflower and you'll understand.

Like many people, I suffer from mental health issues - unfortunately something that impacts a lot of people every day.

For me individually, it's a toxic brew of 24/7, chronic anxiety, depression, OCD, and ADHD. I've lived with each forever and each one is it's own beast - together they're a nearly crippling and debilitating pain that I can't begin to describe. Unfortunately, I've been on every conceivable mix of about 30 different medicines - even trials - and they really only take the roughest corners off. Every minute I'm worrying to a near panic attack, doing ruminitions in my head, thinking about problems that need to be solved right now, feeling intense weight on my shoulders, and just hating life.

Because of or as part of my issues, I also have an extreme case of "inner monologue" - where your mind doesn't stop talking and thinking for a second, but magnified with about 4 parallel and intersecting streams. Every conversation I have in a day I play over and over in my mind, second guessing why I did or didn't say something, or how I'm going to handle it, or what about this scenario, etc. It creates a photographic memory, but at a high overhead cost. There is not a second of peace or quiet, it is constant and it's loud - I can be exhausted and literally have my eyes closed on the pillow for 6 hours trying to fall asleep every night to no avail. I thought that's how everybody was wired for the longest time, but I've since understood why people with mental health issues occasionally also have it, and why my wife and I sleep on different floors.

A day at work is filled with solving critical system or process issues, planning, roadmapping, and doing business and technical architecture of varying varieties. But what you don't see is that it's also filled with endless streams of worry, double checking, avoiding social situations when possible, picking up every critical issue to avoid something failing, overcommitting to make people above look good, being exhausted by working 2-3 people worth of work at 70-80 hrs/wk, etc. All because the mind says everybody has to be happy, everything has to be successful, every project needs to get done perfectly, and every plan needs a solution - or else. Everything has a stress point, everything is anxiety, and everything has a consequence. If you truly know how OCD works, you'll understand why it's brutal when mixed with anxiety, depression, and ADHD. It's a truly evil bastard.

I'm introverted and you'd never know any of the above by just looking at me or talking with me or working with me day-to-day. I don't have friends, I don't even know the names of my neighbors of 8 years. My phone has my immediate family, current colleagues for work emergencies, and ISU coaches/players/donors whom we know nothing about each other. There are a few others I've met here but I don't return their texts or calls. People ask me to do things and I never respond. I screen all calls, even of people I look up to and respect. I've never been to a party or "gone out for drinks". My mind just won't let me go there - and believe me, I've tried.

I was finally diagnosed with some of the above in my middle school years and the rest as a teenager, though standard Dr had already determined it. It was first very obvious to others when I got hives when invited to watch a movie with some people and then developed ulcers in my throat from the immense stress - I still get them all the time. At the same time I started medicine around age 10-ish, I tried my first therapist. That went on for a while but was finally told therapy just wasn't going to work for me. I've seen 4 or 5 really good doctors over the years and all have said the same thing after a while of intense effort. And it makes sense. Therapy works wonders for some people - and I'd encourage everybody to try it - but more when it comes to getting to understand the why, the how, or the way to handle something, scenarios, etc. There are certain situations or people it just isn't effective on for whatever reason, despite CBT or any other variation, unfortunately.

With that said, I'm a big believer that my challenges are actually what make me very effective and efficient at my profession. I'm the hardest, most dedicated worker you'll find. I can design technical and business solutions incredibly quickly and with great complexity. I can understand things quicker than Fran's face can turn red. It's also, I believe, why I'm a caring and supportive person (though I do play a good jerk online) - but also a helicopter parent. But the good isn't something my brain can focus on and outside of writing that paragraph, I will self deprecate (not defecate) in every conversation about me.

I won't go into details about my children on here other than to say; Every day I feel intense despair seeing my two amazing children show signs and symptoms of many of my issues. They're mini-mes, just with hair and less to process right now. As they age and encounter various firsts, classes, stresses, etc, it gets harder and more painful every single day. I'm here because I need to help them find ways to better handle life than I have. I need to protect and provide them with the tools and ways to cope. They are the single reason I wake up every morning and hope I do for a long time. But, I'd be lying if I made a promise because each day is a battle in a never-ending war. We never know what tomorrow brings.

As you would guess if you've paid attention, I've reread and changed this probably 60 times over the past 4 hours. And, I'll be thinking about it for the next 24 hours second guessing every damn piece of it why I toss and turn wondering why I can't sleep:)

This is the important part...

While this is part of my story, it is just a starting point, hopefully an opportunity for you or somebody in your life to start the same process I did 30 years ago to seek help. Unfortunately, it will never be a cure. There's no magic pill that makes us all better. Medicine might smooth out the rollercoaster and therapy might work wonders. You have to try everything or you've already failed, and failure only leads one place. I might not be here by the time you get to reading this, but there has to be an attempt.

If you think somebody is struggling - young or old - reach out to them and have an open conversation. Help them when they don't even know they need help. Don't worry about offending somebody. Don't think you're intruding. Be ok that you might open a door you can't close. That's ok if it means at least one person starts the process.
this guy may help. his books are phenomenal.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jer

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you come here just for sports topics, I apologize in advance, but feel free to hit the back button as this is a different sort of post - and lengthy. If somebody finds it offensive, just report it and I'll remove it. If it's too long, I'm sorry.

Since I'm one of the very few members that is NOT anonymous, I was going to post this under a new account. However, I've gotten to understand I am the ****** up person I am so it doesn't matter if my name is attached to it - be proud of who you are. Hell, I was doxxed with house pictures, tax info, etc the 1st or 2nd year of CF and much worse since. Instead, despite putting more out there about myself than I'd normally like, my hope is maybe a single person somewhere will better understand a loved one, friend or colleague that is challenged and encourage them to seek help if they haven't in the past.

Please understand that while I have to put my story below to convey anything, this isn't a pity party or anything where I'm seeking support. I've had that for 15 years since CF started. This is hopefully to open eyes for somebody else's story to have a good ending and for others to take a chance to tell their story if they so desire.

Most days I wake up dreading the fact that I woke up, but not in the Monday morning work way. Too many times over the years it was predetermined that I wasn't going to, even very recently. Listen to Ghost by Badflower and you'll understand.

Like many people, I suffer from mental health issues - unfortunately something that impacts a lot of people every day.

For me individually, it's a toxic brew of 24/7, chronic anxiety, depression, OCD, and ADHD. I've lived with each forever and each one is it's own beast - together they're a nearly crippling and debilitating pain that I can't begin to describe. Unfortunately, I've been on every conceivable mix of about 30 different medicines - even trials - and they really only take the roughest corners off. Every minute I'm worrying to a near panic attack, doing ruminitions in my head, thinking about problems that need to be solved right now, feeling intense weight on my shoulders, and just hating life.

Because of or as part of my issues, I also have an extreme case of "inner monologue" - where your mind doesn't stop talking and thinking for a second, but magnified with about 4 parallel and intersecting streams. Every conversation I have in a day I play over and over in my mind, second guessing why I did or didn't say something, or how I'm going to handle it, or what about this scenario, etc. It creates a photographic memory, but at a high overhead cost. There is not a second of peace or quiet, it is constant and it's loud - I can be exhausted and literally have my eyes closed on the pillow for 6 hours trying to fall asleep every night to no avail. I thought that's how everybody was wired for the longest time, but I've since understood why people with mental health issues occasionally also have it, and why my wife and I sleep on different floors.

A day at work is filled with solving critical system or process issues, planning, roadmapping, and doing business and technical architecture of varying varieties. But what you don't see is that it's also filled with endless streams of worry, double checking, avoiding social situations when possible, picking up every critical issue to avoid something failing, overcommitting to make people above look good, being exhausted by working 2-3 people worth of work at 70-80 hrs/wk, etc. All because the mind says everybody has to be happy, everything has to be successful, every project needs to get done perfectly, and every plan needs a solution - or else. Everything has a stress point, everything is anxiety, and everything has a consequence. If you truly know how OCD works, you'll understand why it's brutal when mixed with anxiety, depression, and ADHD. It's a truly evil bastard.

I'm introverted and you'd never know any of the above by just looking at me or talking with me or working with me day-to-day. I don't have friends, I don't even know the names of my neighbors of 8 years. My phone has my immediate family, current colleagues for work emergencies, and ISU coaches/players/donors whom we know nothing about each other. There are a few others I've met here but I don't return their texts or calls. People ask me to do things and I never respond. I screen all calls, even of people I look up to and respect. I've never been to a party or "gone out for drinks". My mind just won't let me go there - and believe me, I've tried.

I was finally diagnosed with some of the above in my middle school years and the rest as a teenager, though standard Dr had already determined it. It was first very obvious to others when I got hives when invited to watch a movie with some people and then developed ulcers in my throat from the immense stress - I still get them all the time. At the same time I started medicine around age 10-ish, I tried my first therapist. That went on for a while but was finally told therapy just wasn't going to work for me. I've seen 4 or 5 really good doctors over the years and all have said the same thing after a while of intense effort. And it makes sense. Therapy works wonders for some people - and I'd encourage everybody to try it - but more when it comes to getting to understand the why, the how, or the way to handle something, scenarios, etc. There are certain situations or people it just isn't effective on for whatever reason, despite CBT or any other variation, unfortunately.

With that said, I'm a big believer that my challenges are actually what make me very effective and efficient at my profession. I'm the hardest, most dedicated worker you'll find. I can design technical and business solutions incredibly quickly and with great complexity. I can understand things quicker than Fran's face can turn red. It's also, I believe, why I'm a caring and supportive person (though I do play a good jerk online) - but also a helicopter parent. But the good isn't something my brain can focus on and outside of writing that paragraph, I will self deprecate (not defecate) in every conversation about me.

I won't go into details about my children on here other than to say; Every day I feel intense despair seeing my two amazing children show signs and symptoms of many of my issues. They're mini-mes, just with hair and less to process right now. As they age and encounter various firsts, classes, stresses, etc, it gets harder and more painful every single day. I'm here because I need to help them find ways to better handle life than I have. I need to protect and provide them with the tools and ways to cope. They are the single reason I wake up every morning and hope I do for a long time. But, I'd be lying if I made a promise because each day is a battle in a never-ending war. We never know what tomorrow brings.

As you would guess if you've paid attention, I've reread and changed this probably 60 times over the past 4 hours. And, I'll be thinking about it for the next 24 hours second guessing every damn piece of it why I toss and turn wondering why I can't sleep:)

This is the important part...

While this is part of my story, it is just a starting point, hopefully an opportunity for you or somebody in your life to start the same process I did 30 years ago to seek help. Unfortunately, it will never be a cure. There's no magic pill that makes us all better. Medicine might smooth out the rollercoaster and therapy might work wonders. You have to try everything or you've already failed, and failure only leads one place. I might not be here by the time you get to reading this, but there has to be an attempt.

If you think somebody is struggling - young or old - reach out to them and have an open conversation. Help them when they don't even know they need help. Don't worry about offending somebody. Don't think you're intruding. Be ok that you might open a door you can't close. That's ok if it means at least one person starts the process.
You're already doing the most important thing, you're owning it instead of letting it own you. Proud of you for that bro.

Anxiety and depression took me to the brink 20 years ago. I'm still here swinging which is what matters, 2 kids and several forgotten school pickups later.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I got hit with panic attacks when I was 27. Too much work stress, a surgery that didn’t go well, my best friend turned on me, and a few other things…but ultimately I realized I had been a perfectionist my whole life. I had sleepless nights in 8th grade worrying about getting all A’s.

I started feeling panicky just going to restaurants with friends…and even felt anxiety at ISU games. (I mean before we were starting to blow it.). Anxiety and excitement actually feel similar. My brain was getting confused. I started obsessing…and could see glimpses of what it was like to go completely nuts. I remember feeling like I was teetering one morning in the shower.

I was determined to get better. I humbled myself and called a counselor. That did help, but ultimately what really helped was really leaning into God…and he really leaned into me. I had about three years of essentially very intense counseling with God. It was exhausting. I felt pressed. He was pushing me forward, encouraging me on…supporting me, leading me, pulling threads in my knotted/tangled mess of a brain.

I’d always believed in God, but I thought I could earn more favor…earn more love. I learned over time he loves me exactly the same today as he did 10 years ago…and as he will 10 years from now. He can’t possibly love me more…and He will never love me less. He’s helping me to grow and change, but He isn’t mad at me when I make mistakes. He taught me to change the narrative in my head…not to be so critical of myself and others, but that sometimes I’m going to make mistakes. I cried a lot. I would openly weep while rollerblading and listening to Kirk Franklin or Chris Tomlin. It was painful…but it was glorious. Those days are truly both some of the absolute best and worst of my life.

I journaled every day. There have been times when I’ve gone back and read some of that stuff. It’s amazing how much has changed…but it’s still me. I’m not perfect. I worry sometimes. I try too hard. Some of what makes you an athlete or like you said good at other things can make you prone to some of this stuff. Royce White gets it. He sees that the repetition that makes someone a great athlete…the pursuit of perfection in a sport can bleed over into all aspects of life. We have to accept ourselves. Manage the tops and bottoms of our personalities. Know that we are loved…and by the grace of God we have 24/7 access to THE Wonderful Counselor (who created you…and you are not beyond what He can handle), Mighty God (He has control over all things…so you can let go of what you try to control…He loves you, He loves you, He loves you), Everlasting Father (He made you, He is always there for you, He knows you, He died for you And rose for you, and again…He loves you), Prince of Peace. Especially during the last few years, we all need to remember who and what brings us peace. There is no peace in perfection of work or the glories or gratitude of man. A child finds peace in the arms of their father. You can find peace in the arms of yours. But remember…Jesus said there will be much tribulation in this world. And the tribulation only gets worse. So it’s normal to see war, political parties that are at each other’s throats, illness, and sorrow…but there is peace for those who believe in Jesus and know they have eternity with him. Peace then…yes…but also now.

Peace to you.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Thank you for sharing @Jeremy I'd thought of posting something similar but afraid of bringing something of such a serious and personal nature to a message board. Alot of your story feels like mine as I too suffer from OCD and I'm very introverted.

There is not a day where I don't think about the "S" word. If it were up to my mind I would of been gone long ago but my body won't follow through on it.

My issues with depression really began in 2010 when a high school classmate of mine took his life. He was married to a fellow classmate and they had a son. I had seen them at a Walmart like a few months before he took his life. Not only did it destroy me to lose a good friend and classmate but he had so much in a wife and son (who was I believe maybe just 2 years old) and I have none of that.

Then in 2012 I lost my maternal grandmother very suddenly. It was the first serious family loss as an adult as my last previous loss was my maternal grandfather in 1988. Loss hit me both in having lost her and also that she lived so close and I could of had so much time I could of spent with her that I wasted.

I then lost my paternal grandmother to covid in 2020 and I again was wracked with grief of loss with again grief that she lived in the same town and I didn't see her nearly enough as I should have.

Then in early 2021 like many here do know I got covid pretty bad to point of being hospitalized for almost a week. If I didn't get to the hospital when I did I probably wouldn't be here and kind of wish I lived alone because I currently live at home and my mom was the one to take me too the hospital.

Every time this country suffers a mass casualty event it spikes my depression and anxiety because I'd give anything to switch places because I have no doubt that every person we lose to such events is a better person than me.

I struggle mightily with my self esteem. Every time I look in a mirror I think why would anyone want to be associated with me?

I mentioned my introvert tendencies. I basically get up work then come home and stay there. The isolation of covid was like home for me. If I do go to an event it's most of the time solo because I don't have friends or family who enjoy the things I do so I go to said events and isolate myself within these events.

The one good friend I have that I did things with has married and while still in Iowa we are enough of a distance that the combination of location and that he now has a wife to spend time with out hang out days have decreased tremendously.

Like Jeremy not posting for pity just posting my story that maybe to say to others who feel similar feelings your not alone.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Thank you for sharing all your stories, it’s not easy to talk about, but you got to no matter the situation and please remember it’s never a sign of weakness, but more of a sign of confidence. For me it’s trying to limit more stress and anxiety. I can’t change my past/childhood, but can change my future one foot in front of the other.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Things that helped me:

1. Meditation. The ability to just shut your inner dialogue up is invaluable. Also, carefully control the labels that you place upon yourself. I truly believe that thoughts can become beliefs and beliefs can become reality. Tony Robbins actually has some really good advice on deconstructing beliefs that are harmful (and usually not based in reality).
2. I never accepted it as a permanent condition, but something that I was going through that would give me experience to better understand and deal with similar issues in the future.
3. Take constant inventory for what you are grateful for, and try to narrow your focus.
4. Seek things that bring you inner peace, even if for short periods. One place I found mine was in the sound of the ocean off a hotel balcony in Daytona Beach at 3 in the morning. You just never know where you will find it.
5. Learn new things. I've always felt like learning was growth, and that expanding my knowledge gave me more tools to handle things in life.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well it's an online forum but already I hope it's assuring for folks to see that they're not alone in the fight as more people open up. Strength comes in numbers.

Has anyone been given advice to get out in nature/exercise etc.? I'm not saying it will just cure it at the snap of a finger but may help. There's studies suggesting that it can be beneficial especially when combined (hikes, camping, etc.).

My brother and I were back in our home town and talking about how there's a lot of folks that seem to be in this 'lull' and how they're generally not active outdoors or we don't see hardly anyone out despite there being plenty of good outdoor space. Would it help, no idea but it was interesting to think about.

I had a friend a few years back that was feeling some anxiety and her Dr. prescribed her to take time each day (this was spring/summer) to go out and stand or walk around in her yard barefoot. Sounds kooky but she said it was helpful.

Again this is not to say 'just go outside, all's cured' but more of an 'every little bit may help' angle.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Experienced anxiety around 2010 and it hit quickly and unexpectedly. My physician recommended seeing a therapist and it was helpful and have learned to apply these strategies:
1. Know the triggers and learn how to cope with them.
2. Be present - doesn’t mean you have to be ignorant of the future but you know that you can control what you can do. For me the greatest anxiety was having a stroke or die when my son was still little. So I lost a lot of weight, ate healthy and got healthy and started exercising. That made me feel so much better and optimistic.
My job is full of deadlines and unexpected things so when things pop up I learn not to get stressed out because I know it doesn’t help me - I know that the deadline would be here regardless but I can change my perspective that it’s not stressful to me.
3. Positivity is like a piggy bank: you have to build and save it. Thankfulness / feeling grateful is an important part: I always try to see from this perspective if something bad happens “it could have been worse”. I know it looks stupid to some but it helps for me. I try to find joy and beauty in every single thing, feel grateful that I wake up and I still can do things as usual, have a place to live and have something to eat. There is a beauty everywhere even seeing a neighbor’s dog jumping in the snow yesterday - it doesn’t need to be going to expensive trip abroad to enjoy the joy and beauty.
4. Don’t feed the beast. There are times when I am worried of certain things and negative thinking will keep on feeding the worry and anxiety. Break the cycle.
5. Meditation helps in terms of building gratefulness and positivity. Spend couple of minutes a day to think good things you have.

It’s not that my life has no problems or I don’t experience certain things but having tools to recognize and address the situation definitely helps.

Good luck to everyone - this is a very important topic and thanks for bringing it up, Jeremy!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is a beauty everywhere even seeing a neighbor’s dog jumping in the snow yesterday - it doesn’t need to be going to expensive trip abroad to enjoy the joy and beauty.

I sometimes wonder if when people try to help their condition by doing the big trip if it actually just makes it worse or negates since they also had to spend a bunch of money, go through stressful situations like flying etc. and really only getting a quick break from their situations.

As opposed to making it a daily routine of doing something that helps within the space that's easy to obtain despite what else is going on.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Has anyone been given advice to get out in nature/exercise etc.? I'm not saying it will just cure it at the snap of a finger but may help. There's studies suggesting that it can be beneficial especially when combined (hikes, camping, etc.).
Yeah, this was part of my assignment when I was in therapy. I was used to being cooped up in an office all day for 10 hours, then going home isolating myself watching TV the rest of the day.

It helped me tremendously. I got into fishing when I was off work for a few months when I lost my job. Now I'm kind of obsessed and go 4-5 times a week still in the warmer months.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Something I tell myself and others that have our mental complications is that you are enough. America will suck your soul out and tell you it's not enough. There's nothing wrong with people, were just stuck in a pressure cooker that forces us to believe that we exist to consume.

For me money is what I hate most in the world. It's the source of every problem in my life and I've been working to remedy that for so long that I'm beginning to stop caring and do things for the now instead of always living to find my future happiness. Why can't I have a present happiness?

Anxiety, depression etc are basically incurable. Find what you want and go after it because we only get one and I personally have wasted a lot of time on things the aren't going to help me find my happiness.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Thank you for sharing your story Jeremy. It’s tough to talk about some of the things that make us feel most vulnerable. We are not alone. I’m touched by the stories in this thread, and I’ve learned a few things I’m going to try as I work through my own struggles with anxiety.

I made a job change recently that really afforded me some perspective. I was doing a hellish commute to a 24/7 manufacturing site that demanded on call availability weekends and nights. I led a short staffed team and had little support from upper management. I had so many fears about dropping the ball, missing deadlines, doing everything I could yet coming up short. I remember the ache of looking at my work cell phone while on vacation, praying there wasn’t a missed call or text from work. My relationships suffered. I stopped working out. I slept like ****. I drank too much.

I had so much fear built up about leaving that place. What would people think of me? Am I letting them down by leaving? What if things fall apart when I go? It sounds silly now. The people that mattered stayed in touch. The others didn’t. Time marches on. That job almost killed me. I’m 1000x better off.

I did start therapy. I’m also a big fan of journaling. It helps me get the thoughts out of my mind and on the paper. I’ll write out something and then ball it up or set it on fire. It’s cathartic to me.

Another thing is fighting negative self talk. The little mosquito in my brain would always buzz with imposter syndrome, and I was constantly putting myself down. Now I challenge it. I’ll literally think “no F that, that’s not true.” If there’s no evidence, then it’s not the truth.

Keep fighting. Be gentle to yourself.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I sometimes wonder if when people try to help their condition by doing the big trip if it actually just makes it worse or negates since they also had to spend a bunch of money, go through stressful situations like flying etc. and really only getting a quick break from their situations.

As opposed to making it a daily routine of doing something that helps within the space that's easy to obtain despite what else is going on.
The concern I've seen, (I've suffered from panic attacks in the past but has been a long time) with my past and my friend is that if the suggestion doesn't immediately fix it, it can lead to stressing them more. I had told my friend to get out of the house, he will sit there and ruminate about things. Told him to slow walk around the block and to just take in nature, it was summer. He called me back kinda ticked and said it did nothing. So, like you mentioned, if the trip causes any other issues, it could be double edged sword.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jer