Why isn't Stensland on the bench?

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I noticed in all of the Big 12 tournament games that Stensland wasn't dressed or on the ISU bench. On Saturday, I saw that he was sitting in the first row of the crowd right behind the bench.

Any idea why this is? Is there a limit of how many players you can have dress once you get to the conference tournament or something? Just wondering.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I have never seen him dressed for an away gm.. I think he only suits up and sits on the bench for home games (maybe that is what we do with walk ons)...

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I was wondering the same thing. I thought maybe you could only have so many on the bench for the tournament but Self's and Manning's kids were both on the bench for KU so that threw that theory out the window.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
To me it looks like he is essentially a token member of the team. They don't take him to any road games, I am assuming because of the cost? So the tournaments would be no different. If he wasn't a token member of the team I think they would let him go on the road with them, just as a thanks for practicing and such.

It really is too bad they don't take him. If you put in all that work and knew you weren't going to play, I think going on the road with the team to AFH, the Sprint Center, and on a tourney run would be the fun part of being involved with the team.

clonefan24

Feb 4, 2014
I thought it was because he had the flu/flu like symptoms a couple weeks ago. Could be wrong, just thought I read that somewhere.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
To me it looks like he is essentially a token member of the team. They don't take him to any road games, I am assuming because of the cost? So the tournaments would be no different. If he wasn't a token member of the team I think they would let him go on the road with them, just as a thanks for practicing and such.

Has it always been this way? I seem to remember the full team traveling before but I can't say I've always specifically looked for everybody either.

Walk-ons always used to travel with Chewy. Of course quite a few of them started, but still...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It really is too bad they don't take him. If you put in all that work and knew you weren't going to play, I think going on the road with the team to AFH, the Sprint Center, and on a tourney run would be the fun part of being involved with the team.

I think you are limited on how many players can travel with the team. Jackson makes the cut because of numbers and Stensland doesn't.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, he obviously made it down to KC and knew the deal when he signed up.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If you replace "Stensland" with "Thomas" in the thread title, people would interpret the title to mean something completely different.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I thought this thread was about Judge Stensland in Council Bluffs. Guess he still is on the bench. As for travel squad limitations it is Conferences that regulates and here are the Big 12 Rules. Limit is 15. So even if they counted Burton (which they would even though not on the bench) we wouldn't be over 15. So can't imagine it is that. Screenshots_2015-03-17-14-00-40.png

Also, Stensland was on the Bench for the Iowa game. And am pretty sure the KC Holiday tournament.

Last edited:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I thought this thread was about Judge Stensland in Council Bluffs. Guess he still is on the bench. As for travel squad limitations it is Conferences that regulates and here are the Big 12 Rules. Limit is 15. So even if they counted Burton (which they would even though not on the bench) we wouldn't be over 15. So can't imagine it is that.
attachment.php

Can we rollover the 27 unused allocations from baseball and have CW put together a Cyclone Fanatic "Sit Next to Kourtlin" contest?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron