Why so angry this year

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Completely agree with both of those things. But I’m a bit put off by the double standard this morning of 14-15 being considered a failure by the same people that consider this season a success.

I put a ton of value in the regular season and conference tournament so a bad result in the NCAA tournament never dictates how I view the season.

I think that's fair.

For me personally, and this is just me, losing to a 14 seed in a game you had no business losing (ESPN'S BPI gave us a 90+ chance to win that game) is a far greater offense than losing to an 11 seed who also happens to be from a Power 5 conference.

I think both seasons were successful, albeit with disappointing endings. The '14-15 season had the more surprising ending, which for me personally made it worse than last night.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
9-9 in the conference also clearly demonstrates ISU not living up to expectations

What are the expectations of this program? It seems some want this program to go 30-2 with an elite 8 appearance every year.

This program is having its best run in school history. Has some good talent on it. Has a coach who wants to be here. 10 years ago this kind of program is what most fans longed for. Now we have that.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
We lost a lot of games that we had no business losing. All of that would have been forgiven had we won a game or two in the tournament, but it happened again. Its frustrating because we've seen how good this team can be.

Reactions: MartyFine

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Saw the draw and figured we’d lose in the way we lost. Not surprised.

Bad matchup and this team has trouble fighting through adversity. Time to wait until next year and see what we have.

I agree...I thought we wouldn't match up very well with Ohio State and was not surprised by the outcome of the game...that being said, I still think this team exceed expectations because they were picked 6th in the league and finished 5th and won the Big 12 Tournament.....I'm disappointed but not surprised...Nor am I angry at the outcome...

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We lost a lot of games that we had no business losing. All of that would have been forgiven had we won a game or two in the tournament, but it happened again. Its frustrating because we've seen how good this team can be.

What happened again?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm more disappointed than I am angry.

I had a bad feeling going into last night's game, to be honest. There is always an 11 over 6 upset in the tournament. Always. I believe they're actually more frequent than the 12 over 5 upsets everyone always talks about. Up until last night all of the 6 seeds won. If nothing else, we were a victim of the Law of Averages.

Like I wrote, I'm more disappointed than anything, but I'm not shocked we lost last night. After UAB in '15, I was downright furious.

Problem with this is that people act like it didn't happen. That UAB loss was a very similar type of loss that ISU had experienced, much like last night was a very familiar type of loss that ISU experienced this year.

Both frustrating but really not that surprising considering how the teams operated on the whole season.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Are there people that are saying that?

I consider both fairly successful. I will say in 14-15, we had all of those comebacks. They were fun. And they made some of their own luck. But some of them were still lucky. No matter what, it was lucky that Monte hit that shot against Texas. It was lucky that Oklahoma missed a wide open layup.

This years team was not especially lucky. They certainly didn't make their own luck, but the ball just didn't bounce their way a ton either.
It was probably lucky Shayok hit that contested 3 against KSU late in the Big 12 tourney game or also the contested 3 against OU in Norman late. It was probably also lucky Texas Tech shot 6-15 from the free throw line or whatever it was in Lubbock

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It was probably lucky Shayok hit that contested 3 against KSU late in the Big 12 tourney game or also the contested 3 against OU in Norman late.

true, but they weren't quite at the end of the game like the two I said. If you want to say that this years team was as fortunate as that team, more power to you.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
true, but they weren't quite at the end of the game like the two I said. If you want to say that this years team was as fortunate as that team, more power to you.
Or the Tech road game where Tech shot 6-15 from the ft line. I guess if you want to diminish the accomplishments of the 14-15 team saying they were lucky you need to acknowledge this years instances as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s becuase of the talent this team had, and they showed it early in the year. This team was better than what they ended up being and the blame for that has to go somewhere. A lot of that has to go to coaching. With that being said, I don’t know if it is really anger, or if it is just frustration. Anger would be the UAB game. This isn’t that.

Did they really show it or did they just surprise people and were limited when teams prepped for it?

Do you think Prohm drew it up for many players/possession to force a drive and kick out to nothing?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My anger stems from having way more individual talent and instead of playing as a team, we saw a ton of selfish basketball. We have 2 freshman who have been involved in NBA mock drafts, a sophomore who was the leading returner in the Big 12 in points last year, one of the best defensive bigs in the Big 12 as a Sophomore, one of the highest volume scorers in the Big 12

And we played extremely selfish, and it got worse game after game. You can put a band aid on it but if you let it get as bad as we let it get, there’s a point of no recovery

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Anger about the tourney aside, the season in itself is fine. I think people are just concerned with how this team will play with less talent. We have seen this team end the season middle of the pack, win a B12 tourney and get bounced first round all showing the same problems that plagued them from the beginning. There has been some individual growth by players and some set backs but it’s hard not to question the coaches ability to lead in this league. Talent wise, they vastly underachieved this season. I think it’s legitimate to question why and if we don’t have a team of exceptional players who can make plays on their own, what happens?

exactly, let's not pretend like its crazy to question what role the coaching had on this horribly underachieving season. Sometimes I just didn't see needed adjustments in games. Low flexibility and creativity on coaching is my soft opinion. At the end of the day I don't feel like I know what happened.

Help Support Us

Become a patron