Wifi not detected by some devices.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Our wireless router must have updated itself recently and ever since, our Amazon Alexa and an outdoor security camera (dericam) won't detect the wifi signal. TVs, phones, tablets all still connect. The camera works if you plug it into the router during setup, but when you unplug it to setup the wifi, it doesn't detect the signal.

I've tried everything I read on the internet. Running just the 2.4 GHz band, then just the 5 GHz band, changing the security type, changing the wifi mode (was on mixed mode), channel width (was in auto), channel (was in auto). The SSID is being broadcast.

Suggestions?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
giphy.gif

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Our wireless router must have updated itself recently and ever since, our Amazon Alexa and an outdoor security camera (dericam) won't detect the wifi signal. TVs, phones, tablets all still connect. The camera works if you plug it into the router during setup, but when you unplug it to setup the wifi, it doesn't detect the signal.

I've tried everything I read on the internet. Running just the 2.4 GHz band, then just the 5 GHz band, changing the security type, changing the wifi mode (was on mixed mode), channel width (was in auto), channel (was in auto). The SSID is being broadcast.

Suggestions?
Do you have different networks(names) for the different bands? If not, try separating them. i.e. - create one network for 2.4 and one for 5. I've helped others that for whatever reason their Fire Stick wouldn't connect to the network if the two bands were on the same 'network'. And by this I mean named the same. They are always two different connections but some routers (and people) will name them both the same so you don't know which one you're connecting to.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I will never fully understand all this crap. My Roku connects to the Wifi just fine downstairs. I brought it up to another TV and it sees the signal but can't connect.
I bought an extension, it see that as well yet can't connect. I take it back down stairs and it sees both and connects to both.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I will never fully understand all this crap. My Roku connects to the Wifi just fine downstairs. I brought it up to another TV and it sees the signal but can't connect.
I bought an extension, it see that as well yet can't connect. I take it back down stairs and it sees both and connects to both.

This is a visual representation of wi-fi waves:
YQvfxul.gif

Reactions: DSMCy and cyfanatic

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
I put mine right smack in the middle of the house.

Something else the OP could look into, if they feel up to it. It is an open source replacement firmware for some routers. Not all are supported, many (perhaps most) are not. Worth looking into. It can offer greater security than the closed-source firmware, and might even open some features you didn't know your router had.

https://dd-wrt.com/

One last thing I did, I have a few devices using cheap power-line networking adapters. Works well, is faster than you'd expect, and frees WiFi bandwidth.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Do you have different networks(names) for the different bands? If not, try separating them. i.e. - create one network for 2.4 and one for 5. I've helped others that for whatever reason their Fire Stick wouldn't connect to the network if the two bands were on the same 'network'. And by this I mean named the same. They are always two different connections but some routers (and people) will name them both the same so you don't know which one you're connecting to.
That got Alexa working again. The two bands showed up separate but had the same name.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I put mine right smack in the middle of the house.

Something else the OP could look into, if they feel up to it. It is an open source replacement firmware for some routers. Not all are supported, many (perhaps most) are not. Worth looking into. It can offer greater security than the closed-source firmware, and might even open some features you didn't know your router had.

https://dd-wrt.com/

One last thing I did, I have a few devices using cheap power-line networking adapters. Works well, is faster than you'd expect, and frees WiFi bandwidth.
The firmware replacement seems over my head. I have considered a powerline adapter but only as a last resort since the camera used to work over wifi.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Maybe check router settings for IPv4 vs IPv6? Maybe try changing it to IPV4 only.