Wig and Pen - Ankeny

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Saw the CGC raffle was sponsored by Wig and Pen in Ankeny. Never been there. The pizza any good?

Reactions: Yaz

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Some people rave about their "flying tomato" deep dish. It's, eh. They have good thin crust though. The union jack is our go to if we get pizza from there

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
The original is in Iowa City- I grew up between CR/IC so I went there a ton, and despite the town it’s amazing pizza.

I lived in Ankeny the last 4 years and visited that Wig and Pen all the time- it’s also excellent! Someone who worked at the IC location in undergrad moved back to DSM and opened it up here.

The Chicago deep dish is incredible, the best deep dish in the area.

Their regular crust pizza is good, but so are a lot of places around (in Ankeny, my wife loves leaning tower).

The sandwiches/pastas are also really good, but we just always get deep dish pizza.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The original is in Iowa City- I grew up between CR/IC so I went there a ton, and despite the town it’s amazing pizza.

I lived in Ankeny the last 4 years and visited that Wig and Pen all the time- it’s also excellent! Someone who worked at the IC location in undergrad moved back to DSM and opened it up here.

The Chicago deep dish is incredible, the best deep dish in the area.

Their regular crust pizza is good, but so are a lot of places around (in Ankeny, my wife loves leaning tower).

The sandwiches/pastas are also really good, but we just always get deep dish pizza.
They also have good onion rings.

One time, we went there with another couple, and ordered the onion rings as an appetizer. My wife ordered an extra side of ranch (because she's a double dipper)
When the bill came, it listed the side of ranch as a separate line item: "monkey ranch: 75 cents"

When the waitress came, I asked her "what is this item 'monkey ranch'"?
She said "Oh that's just what we call our sides of ranch"
And then I tried to be as serious as I could, and said "But it doesn't have monkey in it, right? Because I can't have monkey."

The look on her face was absolutely priceless, as she appeared to decide that I was the stupidest person on the planet, but had to maintain some level of professionalism. She assured me "Oh, absolutely not, sir. There's no monkey in our recipe." And she took my credit card to go charge us. As soon as she left, my wife elbowed the **** out of me for being an idiot.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We tried the one in Iowa City a month ago, average at best, onion rings were decent, service was beyond poor. Only good thing about the dinner was spending time with the daughter and she picked up the check.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

One time, we went there with another couple, and ordered the onion rings as an appetizer. My wife ordered an extra side of ranch (because she's a double dipper)
When the bill came, it listed the side of ranch as a separate line item: "monkey ranch: 75 cents"

And then I tried to be as serious as I could, and said "But it doesn't have monkey in it, right? Because I can't have monkey."

The look on her face was absolutely priceless, as she appeared to decide that I was the stupidest person on the planet, but had to maintain some level of professionalism. She assured me "Oh, absolutely not, sir. There's no monkey in our recipe." And she took my credit card to go charge us. As soon as she left, my wife elbowed the **** out of me for being an idiot.
You, sir, are a saint for putting up with her.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Last we had it, it was way undercooked. My go-to pizza in Ankeny is now Nonnas. Also enjoy Leaning Tower and Uptown.

Reactions: cyadict

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I am not a double dipper, you dip ****.