Wild AHL Affiliate to Des Moines?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If they come to Des Moines I'll definitely go to a few games. Plus it will give me a pro hockey team to cheer for.

This is the boat I'm in. I already go to a few I Cubs, Energy, Barnstormers, & Bucs games a year. I'd gladly welcome a higher level of hockey to that list.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
The "Iowa Wild" sounds real good to me, a lot better than that ignorant "Iowa Chops" name....

Lets just hope that the Iowa Corn Producers don't become the title sponsor of the team. I can see it now..."Wells Fargo Arena, home of the Iowa awkward kneeling farm families!!" :jimlad:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Women's Gymnastics is one of the headline sports at the olympics, yet I think you would be correct in saying that it would be fringe in the Des Moines market.

I'm not sure that is a good example. Over the last 2 Olympics I'd say women's gymnastics has had more local TV and newspaper coverage in Des Moines than the NFL.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ah, the tired and loathesome "support" arguments. Is this an attempt at a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The last incarnation of AHL hockey was brought to the area by Howard Baldwin who owned portions of the Hartford Whalers, Penguins and Minnesota North Stars. Before the first puck dropped in Iowa he sold his interests to an inexperienced ownership group in Texas. There was ONE AHL team in Des Moines. The ownership never changed, the NHL affiliation and the branding changed. If Des Moines has had two AHL clubs, one could surmise then that the Washington Bullets went belly up.

Attendance was in the middle of the pack for AHL clubs in the final season of the club. That's better than Rockford, Peoria, Omaha or Toronto for that matter.

The franchise was hamstrung by a bad lease, and ownership who treated the AHL team more like a hobby. The team was lost because the owner used the franchise as a collateral for a loan. Period.

The Wild has a vertical integration model. The AHL club in Des Moines will be owned and managed by MSE, the owner of the Wild, they also own the Xcel Energy Center. These guys are midwesterners who understand the region and who will bring a highly polished product and market the team well to the people of Iowa. These guys are total pros.

Has hockey been cut from the Olympics? For a "fringe" sport to headline the Winter Olympics is almost miraculous.

I think that's part of the argument. The other part of the argument is the parent club was the Anaheim Ducks, a team nobody in Des Moines gives a rat's arse about. It was definitely part of the problem with the Quad Cities' AHL club - we had the Calgary Flames' team. A Canadian team nobody cares about. Rockford got the Blackhawks' AHL team the same year the Quad Cities got theirs. had the Quad Cities got the Blackhawks' AHL team they would likely still be there.

scottfarkus

Apr 11, 2013
People will take the product more seriously if it has a 'big league' nickname. I however prefer the Des Moines Wild, not the Iowa Wild. Will anyone outside the DM Metro care? No. The same can be said for the rest of the DM minor league teams, but these teams are already established and unlikely to change.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree. People will take the product more seriously if it has a 'big league' nickname. I however prefer the Des Moines Wild, not the Iowa Wild. Will anyone outside the DM Metro care? No. The same can be said for the rest of the DM minor league teams, but these teams are already established and unlikely to change.

I completely disagree with this notion. Why? Because the Quad City Flames failed. I mentioned that one reason why the Quad City franchise failed was because the Flames were a franchise nobody in the Quad Cities cared about. There are actually three other accompanying reasons - first was the team was atrocious (which is really beginning to show with the Calgary Flames now), second, the Quad Cities got the AHL franchise right when the economy went into the toilet, and it hit the Quad Cities particularly hard. But third, and this is the big one - the Calgary Flames stripped away all identity of the previous franchise that played there -the Quad City Mallards. They were the Quad Cities' team for more than a decade, winning several Colonial/United Hockey League cups. All of that eliminated. Even Mo Mallard was ditched. Combine all those factors - a pro team nobody cared about, a really bad team on ice, a slumping economy, and stripping away the identity of the team that the area loved for so long - it was a perfect storm for disaster.

Now, in Des Moines' case - they may want to avoid the Iowa Chops' identity. That was pretty ridiculous. But naming the franchise the "Iowa Wild" or "Des Moines Wild" isn't necessarily the recipe for success that you're making it out to be, either.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
MSE is smart. They are going to extend and cash in on their brand. If they have a quality marque, they know that Des Moines fans would be apt to purchase both Des Moines branded merchandise AND Wild gear. There's too much money in jerseys and merchandise for them not to tap in to this. I am sure they will be putting a lot effort in to finding something that will appeal to Des Moines and existing Wild fans.

Here's a concept I recently stumbled across:

http://twitter.com/jayaro/statuses/323900035148423168

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
As a Wild fan I would prefer to see them in another MN city like Duluth. It would get more people interested in the minor league team and would draw better.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
As a non-Wild fan Duluth will never happen. Duluth isn't even 100k and the DECC has the Bulldogs as a tenant. The AHL won't dilute a market that has a exceptionally strong college program that has recently won the national title, and I am sure UMD doesn't want the AHL halving its' fanbase.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
As a non-Wild fan Duluth will never happen. Duluth isn't even 100k and the DECC has the Bulldogs as a tenant. The AHL won't dilute a market that has a exceptionally strong college program that has recently won the national title, and I am sure UMD doesn't want the AHL halving its' fanbase.

I don't think it would be much different from Rochester.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not a hockey fan but I don't understand why there is the perception that Iowa didn't support the Chops? Is it because they moved? The ownership was 1) terrible and 2) wasn't local.

I believe they were 10-12th in their first few seasons, falling to 17th in attendance the year they left (they were terrible). Out of 29 teams. So basically average attendance throughout the AHL.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
MSE is smart. They are going to extend and cash in on their brand. If they have a quality marque, they know that Des Moines fans would be apt to purchase both Des Moines branded merchandise AND Wild gear. There's too much money in jerseys and merchandise for them not to tap in to this. I am sure they will be putting a lot effort in to finding something that will appeal to Des Moines and existing Wild fans.

Here's a concept I recently stumbled across:

http://twitter.com/jayaro/statuses/323900035148423168

That is awful.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Cornhawks has to be THE WORST NAME I have ever seen....beating out the Chops and by a lot. Extremely AWFUL!!!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Other then the Cornhawks being a combination for the Cornhuskers and Hawkeyes, I don't mind it too much. Pretty badass, IMO. Of course, I thought the Chops logo was awesome.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Iowa Wild. Simple, but I don't mind it. Would've rather had a more personal name though.

I like that they are leaving it the Wild, ties it to their parent team better, like the I Cubs. If they localized they would get persuaded by some local group to name it something horrendous like the "93 Flood Warriors". The Omaha Royals, I mean Golden Spikes, I mean Storm Chasers is a perfect example of losing your identity by creating ridiculous local names.