Will Big 12 get a #1 seed?

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Do u think the Big 12 will earn a #1 seed? Or will it be Syracuse, Kentucky, Michigan St., Duke? Then the Big 12 earning two #2 seeds with KU and Mizzou?

D

DistrictCyclone

Any one of those teams has a chance to lose, so who knows.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Michigan State 24-5 (13-3) has #24 Indiana and #9 Ohio State left. Kansas 24-5 (14-2) has unranked Okie State and unranked Texas. I think MSU goes 1-1 in those and KU goes 2-0. KU gets 1 seed. MSU 2 seed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Best case scenario for ISU is Mizzou and KU both get #1 (very unlikely) or both get #2 seeds so we can go to omaha for the first two rounds.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Right now, it's Kentucky, 'Cuse, KU, and MSU, probably in that order. Opportunities for all of them to stumble. I think KU would have to lose twice to lose theirs.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Assuming KU and MU don't get upset anymore and meet in the Big 12 conference tourney championship, the winner will most likely get a #1 seed.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Best case scenario for ISU is Mizzou and KU both get #1 (very unlikely) or both get #2 seeds so we can go to omaha for the first two rounds.

It's very likely KU and Missouri will both be in Omaha. Regardless, it's quite unlikely they would put ISU there, because of an effort to protect high seeds from hostile environments, such as when KU went up to Minneapolis to play North Dakota State and half of the arena was for NDS in a 3/14 game.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Where can we see what seeds play where?

I forget that ISU fans are new at this.

2012 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are eight pods, and each of sixteens groups of four teams are given a pod to play at, 2 groups per pod. They are mostly chosen by going down the S-Curve and looking at school locations of the best team in the group. (Cuse will get Pittsburgh, Kentucky will get Louisville, etc., Kansas and Missouri will get Omaha, Duke/Carolina will get Greensboro (they ALWAYS play in their own state)) So it is likely that the 4/5/12/13 pods will be out in Portland, since there are no good teams out there.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
KU will have to get by ISU first, and Mizzou would have to beat Baylor for a third time. If KU played MU again, KU would be favored by a couple points.

Won't KU be the 1 seed? If ISU beats Baylor (and my money would be on ISU) the Cyclones would be the 3. Couldn't play Kansas until the championship.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
KU will have to get by ISU first, and Mizzou would have to beat Baylor for a third time. If KU played MU again, KU would be favored by a couple points.

IMO its more likely that ISU looses @ MU and beat BU. Which will give ISU the #3 seed and ISU would not see KU till the ship.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It's very likely KU and Missouri will both be in Omaha. Regardless, it's quite unlikely they would put ISU there, because of an effort to protect high seeds from hostile environments, such as when KU went up to Minneapolis to play North Dakota State and half of the arena was for NDS in a 3/14 game.

But they can't be in the same region if they are both the same seed right? They wouldn't have multiple teams with the same seed in any region.

That makes some sense I guess with the home court thing, but that sucks if it works out that way.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Thanks for providing absolutely no help at all. I see that there are 8 sites for the first two rounds, and I remember seeing that certain regional games are already assigned to specific sites. I'm looking for which games (i.e. the 5-12 in the Midwest Region) are scheduled to be played in Omaha.

Games and sites aren't paired until the bracket is put together.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
But they can't be in the same region if they are both the same seed right? They wouldn't have multiple teams with the same seed in any region.

1st/2nd round sites aren't tied to a specific regional.

Kansas and Missouri can both be #2, and both play in Omaha. One would be the Midwest #2 and the other would be the West #2 (for example).

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle

That makes some sense I guess with the home court thing, but that sucks if it works out that way.

Why couldn't a region have two groups of the same seed? I don't think that's a rule.