Will Bowls be Dead in 2024?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I do wonder though…say you are a first round pick and your team is 5-4 with three games left. Essentially the final 3 games are meaningless because you can’t make the playoffs. Those guys going to play the last three games ? That situation is coming.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I do wonder though…say you are a first round pick and your team is 5-4 with three games left. Essentially the final 3 games are meaningless because you can’t make the playoffs. Those guys going to play the last three games ? That situation is coming.
Quicker than you think.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Quicker than you think.
It's already happened to some degree. Look at Ed Oliver. He sat out the final 4 games of his last season with Houston. It was under the guise of an injury, but it wasn't hard to see what was going on, especially when he and his coach got into it over him wearing a team coat on the sideline.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
How does playing in a playoff game enhance your draft status a lot more than a bowl game and not carry the risks that a bowl game has. Using the same logic, why wouldn’t a no. 1 pick in the draft opt out of a playoff game for a 12th seeded team?

Reactions: CapnCy and jmb

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
How does playing in a playoff game enhance your draft status a lot more than a bowl game and not carry the risks that a bowl game has. Using the same logic, why wouldn’t a no. 1 pick in the draft opt out of a playoff game for a 12th seeded team?
They definitely could. These are individual decisions. Some might want to play. Others might decide it's not worth the risk. There's no hard and fast rules.

Reactions: Kinch and jmb

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's already happened to some degree. Look at Ed Oliver. He sat out the final 4 games of his last season with Houston. It was under the guise of an injury, but it wasn't hard to see what was going on, especially when he and his coach got into it over him wearing a team coat on the sideline.
Didn’t the one Bosa sit out the whole season when he could have played the last few games?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Bowls will still exist. But it’ll be like the NIT is to college basketball. The only bowl games that will matter will be the NY6 games as they will be the playoff games. All other bowl games are consolation prizes

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Didn’t the one Bosa sit out the whole season when he could have played the last few games?
I remember something about that, but I don't remember the details. The Oliver incident stuck out in my mind because of the coat, and that it involved Major Applewhite, who was always an *******.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
24 team playoff and that’s it. It’s the way it should be. Get in or you’re done for the year. Butttttt too much money to be made for bowl games and the cities they are in.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
People watch because that’s what’s on between Christmas and New Years. I don’t think that’ll change. But I also don’t think the contracts will be as lucrative the next go around and I think we’ll see a lot fewer bowls. They should all go away, but they won’t.

Advertisers have to be getting screwed this year though. Mostly blowouts and not good games. Imagine having paid HUGE money to advertise in that Georgia-FSU debacle. Was anyone dumb enough to watch that game past the 1st qtr?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don’t mind some extra games. Bowl games don’t mean much anymore other than more football for me to watch. If they come up with a cash prize for the winning players, say 1 million to the winner and 500k to the loser. Might get some kids to stick around and play

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Advertisers have to be getting screwed this year though. Mostly blowouts and not good games. Imagine having paid HUGE money to advertise in that Georgia-FSU debacle. Was anyone dumb enough to watch that game past the 1st qtr?
not sure about today's games, but the ratings have been pretty good so far.

Live sports is still a ratings draw. Still meat on the bone for advertisers

Reactions: Drew0311

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
LOL no. Ratings have been pretty good this year. The game last night had nearly 10 million. College football gets massive viewership, and it does not drop off for bowl games. They are doing just fine.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
not sure about today's games, but the ratings have been pretty good so far.

Live sports is still a ratings draw. Still meat on the bone for advertisers
The Cotton Bowl did very well also

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think the only way to limit the opt outs is financial motivation to play/win but I’m not sure if the bowls are willing to to pony up the amount it would require for players to not opt out.

Personally I would be all in on shortening the regular season by a game and then having an extra or two extra playoffs. Could easily tinker the scheduling to have multiple games every night for a couple weeks. Yeah it would be equivalent to the NIT (and CBI if you had two) but that’s still better than the current era bowl system.

If it were up to me:
12 team playoff for the natty (don’t see that changing)
16 team major conference tourney
16 team mid major tourney.

Probably doesn’t make sense but it’d be fun

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The reason is simple, winning and advancing means something, while the majority of the bowl games mean nothing for the players. Sure, they want to win, but if you have millions coming your way in a few months, it's not worth the risk of playing a game that is not going to affect anything but bragging rights.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The solution to the future of bowl games is to schedule all of them, except the playoff ones, to week 0. There would be incredible interest among fans and zero opt outs among players. These non-playoff bowls would no longer be meaningless.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
The solution to the future of bowl games is to schedule all of them, except the playoff ones, to week 0. There would be incredible interest among fans and zero opt outs among players. These non-playoff bowls would no longer be meaningless.

So push bowls back to the next season? So departing players and coaches who have earned a bowl would not be rewarded for it?

Reactions: Drew0311