Will ISU make a Bowl Game? YES! Which One? LIBERTY BOWL 12/29

Will ISU make a Bowl Game (Final Record)?

• No (3-9)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (4-8)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No (5-7)

Votes: 127 30.8%
  • Yes (5-7)

Votes: 31 7.5%
  • Yes (6-6)

Votes: 189 45.9%
  • Yes (7-5)

Votes: 43 10.4%
  • Yes (8-4)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Yes (9-3)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While getting a great name-brand opponent is always fun, this team and the recruiting process needs an extra W in the win column more than they need a close loss to a better team. We have some pivotal guys in the pipeline that are going to focus a lot more on the outcome than the opponent - given the bigger the brand, the more that will sit out. Likewise, it's a hell of a lot easier to get on somebody's radar after a 4-8 season if you follow it up with 8 wins.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
While getting a great name-brand opponent is always fun, this team and the recruiting process needs an extra W in the win column more than they need a close loss to a better team. We have some pivotal guys in the pipeline that are going to focus a lot more on the outcome than the opponent - given the bigger the brand, the more that will sit out. Likewise, it's a hell of a lot easier to get on somebody's radar after a 4-8 season if you follow it up with 8 wins.
Agreed. I don't care who the opponent is - other than I want the best chance for ISU to win. An 8-5 season gives so much momentum and hope for next season, both in keeping the players here and for all potential recruits. A few months from now no one will care if we beat a G5. They will say we finished 8-5. That's what really matters.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In 2005, the Iowa State Cyclones played the Horned Frogs of Texas Christian University in the Ev1.net Houston Bowl at Reliant Stadium. TCU, still representing the Mountain West Conference, bested the Cyclones for a final of 27-24. Seven visiting Iowa State fans who traveled via a 1992 cargo van from Ames enjoyed the game in spite of the loss, and enjoyed the gentlemen’s clubs of the local region, despite getting kicked out. Those fans remember the return road trip requiring four days of travel, due in part to the need to replace the van’s thermostat in the parking lot of a Taco Bell in Wagoner, Oklahoma, on New Year’s Eve Day. That van still can be found in lot C3 in Ames for every football tailgate.
Watched that game in a bar on Duval Street. Buddy of mine wanted to spend his 40th in Key West.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Doesn't Pollard often do a KXNO interview in the middle of the week prior to bowl selection Sunday? He usually drops a few nuggets to give us hints about what he is expecting.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don’t know why a bowl wouldn’t pick us ahead of KSU? Finished ahead of them, fans travel better, and we beat them head to head.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Amen. And how many 8 wins seasons do we even have??? It's can't be many. I know we have never gone above 9 so I doubt we hit 8 very often.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Amen. And how many 8 wins seasons do we even have??? It's can't be many. I know we have never gone above 9 so I doubt we hit 8 very often.
It bugged me enough to look it up.
ISU has:
3, 9 Win Seasons (2020. 2000, 1906)
7, 8 Win Seasons (2018, 2017, 1978, 1977, 1976, 1971, 1903)

In other words, we get to 8 wins and we are in one of the 11 best years of Cyclone football history.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
how about a 7-5 Northwestern or 7-5 Maryland?
I could get down with those two more than Minnesota. Give me Maryland there as a team we never see and would be an offense to contrast against our defense.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don’t know why a bowl wouldn’t pick us ahead of KSU? Finished ahead of them, fans travel better, and we beat them head to head.
KSU is no slouch when it comes to bowl attendance either. Sounds like Pop Tarts bowl officials have been in contact with KSU for several weeks. The cats have never played in that bowl, (or any other Florida bowl) while we were there a few years ago. Head to head doesn't really matter. They aren't bound by head to head results for selections.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
KSU is no slouch when it comes to bowl attendance either. Sounds like Pop Tarts bowl officials have been in contact with KSU for several weeks. The cats have never played in that bowl, (or any other Florida bowl) while we were there a few years ago. Head to head doesn't really matter. They aren't bound by head to head results for selections.
Pretty sure we got picked “ahead” of them for that exact bowl ironically. No reason they wouldn’t do the same just backwards

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I think its kinda stupid it doesn't go by conference standings

.....247 Sports has us in Shreveport vs Cal today. Also interested they say KSU is a lock for PopTart (Orlando).
Didn't we "leapfrog" multiple teams to go to the Camping World Bowl in 2019? Fan support/ticket sales etc.

If so, I wouldn't mind going to Orlando again.

MAYBE the fan support thing is somewhat of a wash with KState, but we do have the head-to-head that we can be used to justify it.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't we "leapfrog" multiple teams to go to the Camping World Bowl in 2019? Fan support/ticket sales etc.

If so, I wouldn't mind going to Orlando again.

MAYBE the fan support thing is somewhat of a wash with KState, but we do have the head-to-head that we can be used to justify it.
Orlando is probably one of my least favorite destinations (been to both bowl games there). With our last 2 (not including the Fiesta that had limited fans) being there, I see 0 chance that happens again.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Orlando is probably one of my least favorite destinations (been to both bowl games there). With our last 2 (not including the Fiesta that had limited fans) being there, I see 0 chance that happens again.
Oh yeah I guess I forgot the cheez-it and the CWB were the same bowl and sandwiched around the covid year. I suppose that's a good point, and I have no reason to doubt you in saying it was not a great destination for the fans.

We can't deny those were both excellent opponent draws tho, and as someone who will admittedly watching on TV, I would probably still make that trade-off if we can get paired with another high-profile program again.

EDIT: I guess the same can be said for any bowl game. It all depends on the draw. I want this team to have a chance to put a real feather in their cap that raises a few eyebrows, and I dont see that happening with any G5 opponent, unfortunately.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Too lazy to copy the link, but FOX SPORTS has us pitted against Oregon State in the Independence Bowl. I think that’s pretty damn accurate actually…

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I’m
Unless you’re going to the parks, if you’re staying in Orlando you’re doing it wrong. Too big and spread out to get the Memphis/San Antonio bowl vibe so make the most of it and stay at the beach.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Too lazy to copy the link, but FOX SPORTS has us pitted against Oregon State in the Independence Bowl. I think that’s pretty damn accurate actually…
Absolutely zero chance we fall that far. Liberty will take us for sure if we are there. I still think we jump KSU for the TaxAct. Thought it before the Howard news, but that news solidified it for me.