Will ISU make a Bowl Game? YES! Which One? LIBERTY BOWL 12/29

Will ISU make a Bowl Game (Final Record)?

• No (3-9)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (4-8)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No (5-7)

Votes: 127 30.8%
  • Yes (5-7)

Votes: 31 7.5%
  • Yes (6-6)

Votes: 189 45.9%
  • Yes (7-5)

Votes: 43 10.4%
  • Yes (8-4)

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Yes (9-3)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Does Texas getting into the playoff change our likely bowl destination?
I think the only possible thing that changes our destination from Memphis is the small possibility that OU gets a NY6 now but with wins over the Big 12 champ and SMU who knows...

Last edited:

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
If Texas gets the playoff Okie State gets the Sugar (or another NY6 bowl of Sugar is part of the playoff rotation). Okie State would be the Big 12 representative if Texas gets bumped up. That could result in everyone else after Oklahoma (Alamo) moving up 1 slot.

• Disagree
Reactions: CycloneEggie

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
If Texas gets the playoff Okie State gets the Sugar (or another NY6 bowl of Sugar is part of the playoff rotation). Okie State would be the Big 12 representative if Texas gets bumped up. That could result in everyone else after Oklahoma (Alamo) moving up 1 slot.
Not this year since the Sugar is a CFP - there is no spot for Big 12. Only Playoff or At Large

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

*sigh*

No.

egunzy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 16, 2008
Humeston, IA
Not this year since the Sugar is a CFP - there is no spot for Big 12. Only Playoff or At Large
I don't think that's how it works unless they've changed the rules for just this year. If Texas is in CFP Okie State will get Cotton or Fiesta. Conferences don't lose a spot for having a team in the playoff. Just because the contract bowl is a playoff bowl doesn't limit you to 1 slot. We'll see if I'm correct tomorrow provided Texas is the playoff.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I don't think that's how it works unless they've changed the rules for just this year. If Texas is in CFP Okie State will get Cotton or Fiesta. Conferences don't lose a spot for having a team in the playoff. Just because the contract bowl is a playoff bowl doesn't limit you to 1 slot. We'll see if I'm correct tomorrow provided Texas is the playoff.
You may want to read this if you don't want to read the previous 46 pages or any of the current bowl projection sites with no other Big 12 Team in NY6

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

That's the way the rules have always been. I refer you to 2017. The Sugar was a semi. Oklahoma was ranked #2, and in the CFP. There was not a second NY6 team from the Big 12.

(1) The Big 12 is guaranteed a spot in the Sugar in the years that it's not a semifinal.

(2) In the years where the Sugar is a semifinal, there's no guarantee of a second NY6 team. An at-large team would still have to make the cutoff.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Big 12 did not negotiate any backup plan for additional NY6 contract slots above the conference champion in years where the Sugar Bowl is part of CFP. The conference champion is the only Big 12 team guaranteed to get in.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The only guaranteed NY6 (non-CFP) spots this year are:

*ACC #1 (if not CFP) or ACC #2 - Orange
*highest ranked non-champ from SEC/B1G or ND - Orange
*highest ranked G5 champ

cyworship

Jan 10, 2009
Omaha, NE
If FSU gets left out there's a shot OU could get in over Ole Miss for that last NY6 at-large spot but doubtful to occur.
This is interesting. I did not think OU had a chance to make NY6 before today but the discussions around FSU winning and being left out of CFP (TX #3, Bama #4, and FSU #5) did actually crack open the door for the #11 ranked team to get into the NY6.

If FSU is left out of CFP then they will go to orange bowl. The orange then no longer needs another ACC team to replace FSU and Louisville is out of NY6.

In that case OU would need to pass up one team to get to #11. Who has Ole Miss beat? Really Ole Miss big wins are LSU and Tulane. Tulane lost to SMU today and who beat SMU … that’s right OU. And OU beat a TX team that just moved from #7 to in this scenario #3. And Penn st best win is an Iowa team that just lost. So my name is not Lloyd Xmas but I am telling you there is chance OU could make NY6.

I do not think the committee will leave FSU out of the CFP but it’s possible. I think the SEC should just be left out of CFP this year and FSU should be #3 and TX should be #4 but I am just an internet poster. (I truly believe the committee should just decide it is bat excrement crazy to give Liberty a NY6 spot and disregard the rules and give the spot to OU but obviously that will not happen). And how far will Georgia actually drop? A lot TBD.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This is interesting. I did not think OU had a chance to make NY6 before today but the discussions around FSU winning and being left out of CFP (TX #3, Bama #4, and FSU #5) did actually crack open the door for the #11 ranked team to get into the NY6.

If FSU is left out of CFP then they will go to orange bowl. The orange then no longer needs another ACC team to replace FSU and Louisville is out of NY6.

In that case OU would need to pass up one team to get to #11. Who has Ole Miss beat? Really Ole Miss big wins are LSU and Tulane. Tulane lost to SMU today and who beat SMU … that’s right OU. And OU beat a TX team that just moved from #7 to in this scenario #3. And Penn st best win is an Iowa team that just lost. So my name is not Lloyd Xmas but I am telling you there is chance OU could make NY6.

I do not think the committee will leave FSU out of the CFP but it’s possible. I think the SEC should just be left out of CFP this year and FSU should be #3 and TX should be #4 but I am just an internet poster. (I truly believe the committee should just decide it is bat excrement crazy to give Liberty a NY6 spot and disregard the rules and give the spot to OU but obviously that will not happen). And how far will Georgia actually drop? A lot TBD.
SMU is going to jump Liberty which gives OU the last NY6 spot if Florida State gets left out.

That said, I think they're going to the right thing and leave the SEC out of the playoff.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
SMU is going to jump Liberty which gives OU the last NY6 spot if Florida State gets left out.

That said, I think they're going to the right thing and leave the SEC out of the playoff.

They’ll make up for the CFP snub by putting an SEC team in all 6 NY6 bowls. Perhaps even putting two SEC teams in some just as an apology.

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
I think Heather Dinich of ESPN has the correct prediction for final rankings

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Florida State

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do or select,but I think this is what the committee will decide

Help Support Us

Become a patron