Will this controversy of the future of the B12 ever stop?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
TV revenue was very relevant in 2010. Not sure that will be the case going forward with the significant changes we're seeing in how people consume media.

Not that I think ISU is a shoe in to any conference, but this really is the case. And I'm not just sucking up. A few years ago, all you needed to do was to get a few thousand people to call in to their cable company and demand the Big 10 network. they figure they'll go ahead and charge everyone on that system (couple million people or so in places like NY) because less people will probably complain about it, than the few thousand that are calling in asking for it. Boom, even though you may have only had a couple of hundred thousand fans in the area, you just added a couple million subscribers. I'm not sure we are there yet, but it definitely looks to be going the way of "Actual fans willing to consume" as opposed to just sticking your nose in the market and sucking up all the money.

this is a critical time for ISU, we suck at football, but lately have been great of being fans of the game. I think that will matter a little bit more if this really does heat up again.

As I stated before though, I think a lot of this is just something to talk about. Why would Texas give up money to move to another conference?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
"The topic: Was the Big Ten, which had 11 members at the time, interested in adding five Big 12 schools?
The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all. It would have taken at least three to four years for that many incoming schools to hit the financial payoffs sought for moving."

I thought we were led to believe from Big 10 loyalists that sticking point would be admission standards, research committments, blah, blah, blah.........

Weren't all of those five schools AAU?

Regardless, I find it interesting that TAMU, OU, NU, KU, and ISU packaged together without MU, another AAU school.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Weren't all of those five schools AAU? Regardless, I find it interesting that TAMU, OU, NU, KU, and ISU packaged together without MU, another AAU school.
And they more than likely knew Nebby was soon to lose AAU status.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TV revenue was very relevant in 2010. Not sure that will be the case going forward with the significant changes we're seeing in how people consume media.

Id guess tv revenue will still be important but how that revenue is measured will be what is different over time. We looked very poor due to the fact that the big 10 already having Iowa gave the big 10 little increase in revenue when adding us as they already have their 'in footprint' rate for their cable network. But if its about viewers\ratings then its about the product youre putting out more than having a media market, which while still not great for us (our football historically sucks) is certainly better than before.. and our academics add another piece to that puzzle.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
And they more than likely knew Nebby was soon to lose AAU status.

Missouri burned some bridge with the Big Ten, because why else would they take Nebraska over Missouri? St Louis and Kansas City have 6 million people compared to 600k in Omaha.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
The article states the big ten was interested but revenue sharing details couldn't be agreed upon. I think Iowa state will be lucky to land in a power 4 conference when this is all said and done and even luckier if it's the big ten where regional interest would be much greater and travel for all sports much easier than the PAC Hopefully this doesn't end up as a what could have been situation with the big but the cynical side of me says this is all getting leaked now for a reason, look Iowa State tried to leave in 2010, it's not our fault they can't go with is now.... At the end of the day, let's hope we can maintain the revenue and interest that all of the investments in expanding football facilities depend ion for the next several years. 30k in a 60k stadium in a American type conference would devastate the long term outlook of the athletic dept.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
[h=2]Re: Will this controversy of the future of the B12 ever stop?[/h]The ironic part is that the discussions had all ended. And then somebody had to go and pick the scab and start a thread. But, since there wasn't a thread about this topic previously it's probably best we just go ahead and reach a collective agreement on it.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
If the rumors about the big 12 needing 8 votes to dissolve are true, then it stands to reason 8 schools will have landing spots if this goes down or media is willing to pay the remaining contract with whoever the leftovers can add. If it's only about football, I don't like our chances, but I see 4 of Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, and. Texas Tech going west (Baylor despite their success won't be liked by the west coast liberal elite), and 4 of Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virgina going east to the Big 10/Sec perhaps west virgina goes to the ACC and that only leaves Baylor. Since Iowa state basically has no chance at an sec invite, let's hope somehow the big ten works out or we get a lifeline from the pac because of academics vs some of the other contendors.

Last edited:

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
This is a non-story. I don't blame CW for trying to make it seem significant and drive some traffic during the slow part of the year, but it's nothing. Realignment is over.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Wanting to believe realignment is over is foolish, it could be over if all 10 schools were happy in the big 12 and media is willing to keep this league on equal ground financially as the other 4 leagues, but there seems to be serious questions as to whether either of these statements are in fact true. And if you know you are getting a divorce in 8 years and are just staying together for financial reasons and tv comes along and says they will take care of you, you rethink your timeline.

If my math is correct there are 9 spots between the PAC, big, sec and ACC available. 10 teams for 9 spots. Maybe a BYU takes a PAC spot and leaves 8 available, if there were other better options out the - the big 12 would already expanded. The way I see it we just can't be 9th or 10th out of the big 12.

Last edited:

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Missouri burned some bridge with the Big Ten, because why else would they take Nebraska over Missouri? St Louis and Kansas City have 6 million people compared to 600k in Omaha.

I think it's pretty obvious why they took Nebraska over Missouri.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

Exactly. We are talking about a scenario that won't play out until about 2022. The TV landscape will be very different in 7 years. ESPN has even talked about a direct to consumer product long term. And I bet when all of the major contracts are up is about the time they look to develop this product.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
If the rumors about the big 12 needing 8 votes to dissolve are true, then it stands to reason 8 schools will have landing spots if this goes down or media is willing to pay the remaining contract with whoever the leftovers can add. If it's only about football, I don't like our chances, but I see 4 of Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, and. Texas Tech going west (Baylor despite their success won't be liked by the west coast liberal elite), and 4 of Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virgina going east to the Big 10/Sec perhaps west virgina goes to the ACC and that only leaves Baylor. Since Iowa state basically has no chance at an sec invite, let's hope somehow the big ten works out or we get a lifeline from the pac because of academics vs some of the other contendors.

It's not a rumor. It is in the ByLaws. 1.5.2 (b) (2).

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/handbook/Bylaws.pdf

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Wanting to believe realignment is over is foolish, it could be over if all 10 schools were happy in the big 12 and media is willing to keep this league on equal ground financially as the other 4 leagues, but there seems to be serious questions as to whether either of these statements are in fact true. And if you know you are getting a divorce in 8 years and are just staying together for financial reasons and tv comes along and says they will take care of you, you rethink your timeline.

If my math is correct there are 9 spots between the PAC, big, sec and ACC available. 10 teams for 9 spots. Maybe a BYU takes a PAC spot and leaves 8 available, if there were other better options out the - the big 12 would already expanded. The way I see it we just can't be 9th or 10th out of the big 12.

1. No team will leave Big 12 until at least 2022.
2. There are not 9 spots left in PAC, Big Ten, SEC and ACC. There is no cap of 16 teams in those conferences. Why do people keep believing this crap.
3. Notre Dame will not join a conference unless the CFP adds a requirement for you to be in a conference to be in the playoff.

Right now there are 64 teams in P5 conferences plus ND.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
ISU has a tremendous "perception" problem nationally because of our lack of football success historically.

Attendance/game among Big 12 teams-- aren't we #3 in FB , #2 in Mbb, #2 in Wbb for example ?

how many fans, athletic departments, administrators, and media around the country have no clue and not realize this? And then there is our enrollment, which is probably expected to be assumed around 15,000

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
ISU has a tremendous "perception" problem nationally because of our lack of football success historically.

Attendance/game among Big 12 teams-- aren't we #3 in FB , #2 in Mbb, #2 in Wbb for example ?

how many fans, athletic departments, administrators, and media around the country have no clue and not realize this? And then there is our enrollment, which is probably expected to be assumed around 15,000

Help Support Us

Become a patron