Will Wisconsin come after CJL?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Barry Alvarez fired longtime VB coach Pete Waite today, and I'm sure Christy is at the top of his list. She has said many times that she loved living in Madison when she was an assistant under Waite. Considering that she has already turned down one Big Ten job (Minnesota), I doubt we would lose her. She also has a $100,000 bonus coming if she says through the duration of her contract at ISU.
But Jamie had better expect a phone call from Alvarez...

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
VB needs a new facility in a bad way. That'd go a long way in keeping her around for the long haul. They deserve it, too. Arguably our most successful program.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Cats I hope not. The U of W is a mess right now as is the State of WI. Elected officials here want to drive the University into submission and could care less if it costs the stature in any regard of sports, education or research. For her sake avoid this state.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Cats I hope not. The U of W is a mess right now as is the State of WI. Elected officials here want to drive the University into submission and could care less if it costs the stature in any regard of sports, education or research. For her sake avoid this state.
I can't speak to that, but it's a great VB coaching job. Depsite the program being down, they finished 4th in the nation in attendance I believe. Tremendous support for womens VB. And Alvarez has a big checkbook thanks to being in the Big Ten.
CJL has a great thing going here, but lots of major coaches would listen if called.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Maybe the team can do some extra winning this post-season to give her some extra incentive. I would hate to lose her as ISU coach. This team really got me interested in volleyball. That and the local team when I first arrived here was good.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Barry Alvarez fired longtime VB coach Pete Waite today, and I'm sure Christy is at the top of his list. She has said many times that she loved living in Madison when she was an assistant under Waite. Considering that she has already turned down one Big Ten job (Minnesota), I doubt we would lose her. She also has a $100,000 bonus coming if she says through the duration of her contract at ISU.
But Jamie had better expect a phone call from Alvarez...
Can The Chiz coach vball?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
For many, football and MBB are the only concern, but, Pollard's goals have always involved a broad spectrum of success and the VB program is obviously a key poster child of that. While he can't upgrade all facilities at once, I would be shocked if he didn't do whatever is reasonably necessary to support CJL. We have a good collection of coaches whose names will come up every season as other schools go looking. While nothing is assured, I think ISU is a good place to spend a coaching career - "lifetime contract" for CJL!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
well, seeing as I live here, if she were ever, ever to leave ISU, I would want her to come to WI so I can still root for her and watch her team play. I think it would take a lot for her to uproot her life (mostly her kids' lives) from Ames. She has built a great program in Ames and gets a lot of support from the administration on it. I don't see her leaving now.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
well, seeing as I live here, if she were ever, ever to leave ISU, I would want her to come to WI so I can still root for her and watch her team play. I think it would take a lot for her to uproot her life (mostly her kids' lives) from Ames. She has built a great program in Ames and gets a lot of support from the administration on it. I don't see her leaving now.
It wouldn't be that much of a shock. Either her family or Joe's family (I can't remember which one) is in Wisconsin.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It wouldn't be that much of a shock. Either her family or Joe's family (I can't remember which one) is in Wisconsin.

I believe it's his family. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good option in the future (though I never want her to leave!) but UW would have to really make a great offer right now. Their VB program is nowhere near ISU right now (though they do have the #1 recruit next year......if she stays), so she'd have to rebuild that (which we've seen CJL is great at) and try to regain hold on the recruiting in WI since it seems that us, Illinois, and Minny are getting a lot of the top WI players. That and they showed Pete and CJL's salaries from 2009 (I have no idea what they were in more recent years) and they were only $20k different. Madison is a more expensive town than Ames - and according to the COLA, that puts them at equal salaries.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Doesn't CJL's husband also somewhat coach/help the team with her here?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Doesn't CJL's husband also somewhat coach/help the team with her here?

Yes, unpaid, I believe. That is something that could allow her to be poached - if a school offered to make Joe a full-time assistant, that would really sweeten the pot.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
IIRC Joe took the volunteer role when their first child was born it was their choice.

Yep, I believe that is right. I think they even said it was because they wanted to save the salary he would have received for other assistants? (which just goes to show their determination to build a winning program and not just chase $$$) Just saying it would be an easy point for another school to jump on.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I thought her family had Nebraska ties and that is who we had to worry about the most.