Williams & Blum: Latest realignment thoughts & CW’s Big 12 preseason poll

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Brock didn't regress, he just peaked really early in his career. Once teams figured out that he wasn't much of a down field threat teams loaded the box on us and tried to shutdown the run and underneath routes. Putting Brock on that list is an insult.

Purdy seemed to make a lot of horrible plays. Made some great ones, but man there were a lot of head scratchers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Our o-line had poor depth, despite what Campbell said.

Losing Remsburg for the whole year was the biggest difference between '20 and '21's outcomes.

We also pretty much avoided bad luck in 2020, and got hammered by it against West Virginia (officials) and Tech (62 yard game winner).

Reactions: OscarBerkshire

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Tackles have to have quick feet, long arms to keep the rush end drifting outside and able to get to the second level on sweeps to shield off LB’s and DB’s. Guards need leverage to get under nose guards and be maulers. They need to be stout enough to stop a bull rush and be able to create a crease for a one yard 3rd down conversion or a one yard plunge for a TD or QB sneak. Tackles are generally more athletic than guards. Both positions require a couple years of seasoning as an OL has to memorize the nuances and assignments of the play called while the defense is shifting position and the QB is calling audibles at the line of scrimmage, has to be able to process all this instantaneously. OL have to be intelligent and finesse their way while a whole lot of shxxx hits the fan. …….I am no expert on OL play but played both guard and tackle in college, had fellow linemen in the NFL and some how made All Conference. I’m guessing there are others on CF far more credentialed than I.
Did you play in the last 10 years?

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I think for most of that list, it's guys who are tired of getting hit. You can only tolerate it for so long.

I've convinced that if Sam Richardson was in a bar and saw somebody walk up out of the corner of his eye, he'd start twitching and run the other way. Dude just got pummeled o_O
Purdy was constantly running for his life but had an uncanny knack for avoiding sacks and especially big hits.

I don't think it gets talked about enough, but for some reason I feel like the 49ers recognize it. I remember Kyle Shannahan making a comment about how he performs well with guys bearing down on him.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Could someone with real knowledge explain why an OL guard would not have ability to play tackle & vv.
Athleticism, footwork, length, and lateral agility are much more important in tackles. Not easy traits found in gigantic 300lb+ men. Guard is less demanding in those respects.

They are helpful at any o-line position, but at a certain point when you check enough boxes you are moved from guard to tackle.

Reactions: Aclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This. EMAW and other forget LSU has 39 scholarship players for this game (with no scholarship QB at all).

Collin Klein was co-OC in 2018 as well. The KSU overall team offensive rating was #111 that year. He was demoted to QB coach for Courtney Messingham.

Klein was a unique specimen when he played QB. There aren't a lot of kids that can play that style and 1) be successful and 2.) stay healthy. How he played the game has zero translation to his skills as an OC but don't try to tell K-State fans that.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Purdy was constantly running for his life but had an uncanny knack for avoiding sacks and especially big hits.

I don't think it gets talked about enough, but for some reason I feel like the 49ers recognize it. I remember Kyle Shannahan making a comment about how he performs well with guys bearing down on him.

The OL took a lot of heat for Purdy's unwillingness to step up into he pocket and just make a throw too. The whole Purdy was running for his life isn't really the full story.

Reactions: royalcy

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Klein was a unique specimen when he played QB. There aren't a lot of kids that can play that style and 1) be successful and 2.) stay healthy. How he played the game has zero translation to his skills as an OC but don't try to tell K-State fans that.
"Ok Adrian. I want you to put your hand on the back of your blockers and float around the line of scrimmage for a while. Then, I want you to lower your shoulder with zero acceleration and somehow truck a linebacker for 3-4 yards. Repeat that 12 more times. After that, I want you to shotput a wobbler like a geriatric with arthritis to your tight end for a touchdown. Trust me, it's unstoppable."

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
More to consider of the P5. The B12, top to bottom, has the most balanced odds to win the B12; meaning week in and week out the B12 puts a more exciting product out. This translates to an easier product to market for every game. Unlike the B1G and SEC where the balance is so out of whack. Even the P12 has closer odds than those two. Oddly, this means the networks believe they can 'hype' the poor matchups enough to gain interest to justify their contracts. And, therein lies the control of the media. Because enough people, literally 'buy-in' to the hype.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Kansas State fans have become unbearable. And John Kurtz is one of the dumbest ************* there is out there in the sports media world. Which is saying a lot
John Kurtz just needs a new job, just not a talented bone in his body. I feel bad for the guy though, hard to be that stupid.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron