Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I can't find it off hand, but I am fairly certain that Larry had an interview with Murphy and Andy somewhat recently. Or at least Keith Murphy.

I remember him saying he doesn't remember much of his time at ISU. Or at least, there are some large gaps in there.

That being said, Blum is more right than CW on that one. The roller coaster fell off the tracks and caught on fire, but it was a fun ride up until then!

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I'm team @brentblum on this one.

Larry! Hands down. Every coach has clunkers. UAB ring a bell? Not every coach wins two outright B12 regular season championships in a row, and a B12 tournament to boot.... elite eight added on top.

I was PISSED when BVDV fired him rather than giving him options to get some help or whatever. Remember, he had just hired Wayne Morgan as a recruiter and had Stinson and Blaylock.

Sure there were a couple of down years, but whatever. ISU didn't give him a chance to try to fix himself off the court,

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was a student for the good times but also the bad. And it was real bad. Dead arena and Larry acting like an absolute lunatic clown on the sidelines.

Just an example of where winning makes people ignore the bad stuff. From what we know from Shirley it was a terrible experience for some players as well.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Didn’t @JStanz51 already attempt a Larry podcast that was shut down?
It never got shut down. I just went on vacation before I could finish it then ran out of time before that season started. Ultimately, all my audio files and things got lost in the shuffle at some point. I hope CW and Brent get him on the pod because I want to hear the rest of the story just like everyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
I watched Larry his entire time from the crowd at Hilton. His sideline antics got real, real old. His off the court antics were an embarrassment for ISU. Tinsley made him, IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I knew someone who was at Hilton during one of Larry’s practices. They were disgusted by how Larry treated the players during the practice. There is a reason he had the nickname “Dr. Doom”.

• Haha
Reactions: Lineup

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I knew someone who was at Hilton during one of Larry’s practices. They were disgusted by how Larry treated the players during the practice. There is a reason he had the nickname “Dr. Doom”.
And there’s a lot of people out there who get their feelings hurt easy.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It wasn't just the players. People I knew at the Iowa State Center talked to me about how mean and nasty he was to anyone he interacted with and how much of a contrast it was working with Bill Fennelly. "Every request is preceded by a 'please' and followed by a 'thank you'." That's a quote and not too much to ask but even that stood out against Larry.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm team @brentblum on this one.

Larry! Hands down. Every coach has clunkers. UAB ring a bell? Not every coach wins two outright B12 regular season championships in a row, and a B12 tournament to boot.... elite eight added on top.

I was PISSED when BVDV fired him rather than giving him options to get some help or whatever. Remember, he had just hired Wayne Morgan as a recruiter and had Stinson and Blaylock.

Sure there were a couple of down years, but whatever. ISU didn't give him a chance to try to fix himself off the court,
I was also pissed at the time but I also heard or read a Larry interview much later where he said that firing him was the best thing they could have done for him. He said he hadn't hit bottom and he wasn't really ready to get sober. It wouldn't have worked. But firing him did help him hit bottom and turn his life around. Hearing that made me change my mind.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Had to roll my eyes at CW discounting the fact that Larry won 2 Big 12 regular season championships and a Big 12 Tournament. That's a huge freakin' deal at Iowa State. But we know CW was a Hawk growing up, so he wasn't paying attention.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Had to roll my eyes at CW discounting the fact that Larry won 2 Big 12 regular season championships and a Big 12 Tournament. That's a huge freakin' deal at Iowa State. But we know CW was a Hawk growing up, so he wasn't paying attention.
And only 5 conference losses in that two year period - all on the road and with a total of 8 OT periods between those games.

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
When you're the star coach and win to conference championship is a row, people are willing to put up with a lot of BS. Once the star fades accountability sets in.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Agreed. The sports were/are in different spots but that's like saying Campbell isn't the GOAT because he's only played for one Big 12 title and only won one NY6 bowl game.

Larry did something at Iowa State that no one had done since 1945 - win a conference regular season title. And he did it twice. He was also a bad call away from a Final Four and likely national championship title game appearance.

I'll take the down years if that's the upside.

Help Support Us

Become a patron