www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy!

Reactions: cyputz

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
@brentblum you're incorrect citing Omaha's lack of u18 development.
MOKAN Elite is one of the best EYBL programs and Omaha helped them win Peach Jam
Link Academy is one of the best prep schools and had 4 kids in the 2022 ESPN top 100 when Omaha attended

Yeah, he played in the CIML but with his background in AAU, Prep, USA Basketball and All star game appearances one could argue he came to ISU as ready as any HS recruit signed in recent memory

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
@brentblum you're incorrect citing Omaha's lack of u18 development.
MOKAN Elite is one of the best EYBL programs and Omaha helped them win Peach Jam
Link Academy is one of the best prep schools and had 4 kids in the 2022 ESPN top 100 when Omaha attended

Yeah, he played in the CIML but with his background in AAU, Prep, USA Basketball and All star game appearances one could argue he came to ISU as ready as any HS recruit signed in recent memory
You’re right. I screwed up! Mea culpa.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I was trying to come up with an Omaha comp as well for the NBA, not sure I can find one yet

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I know this isn't a great comp, but he reminds me of the explosiveness of Zion Williamson. Obviously leaner. And maybe not quite as athletic... because that's a high bar.
I hate that one because Zion is so lazy and just uses his beef these days. I’d love to see his offense turn into a Jerami Grant and still be able to guard 3 positions

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I hate that one because Zion is so lazy and just uses his beef these days. I’d love to see his offense turn into a Jerami Grant and still be able to guard 3 positions

Oh for sure. From all that I've seen Omaha is 1000x a better teammate and hard worker. I'm just saying that they move somewhat similarly (I'm thinking Duke version of zion).

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Great Pod, but you guys were both a bit disingenuous about Omaha. @brentblum was completely off base about his AAU and Prep experience not preparing him for this level of play (which I do commend and appreciate you coming in to apologize for in this thread).

@ChrisMWilliams being upset at fans for complaining about Omaha not playing in the Iowa game. The only reason that any fan was upset was because most of us felt that being up 30 with 10 mins left in the 2nd half was probably a pretty good low risk opportunity to get Omaha some some experience and confidence. Both of you admitted that Omaha needs those low risk opportunities and that's what these 4 games before conference was for, but when you are up by 30 at home that's exactly what you have. Blum tried to mention this but was kind of overrun by Chris in the next breath and so that aspect wasn't really discussed.

Chris made the whole thing sound like it would have been too much for him. Many of us just wanted to see the local kid enjoy and participate in the blowout. I don't think that's an unfair opinion. I know that you guys don't want to make every pod about Omaha, but I do believe the points and arguments described in the pod unintentionally misled many fans and probably needs to be clarified on Wed.

Regardless, we love you guys, and thanks for the great content.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Great Pod, but you guys were both a bit disingenuous about Omaha. @brentblum was completely off base about his AAU and Prep experience not preparing him for this level of play (which I do commend and appreciate you coming in to apologize for in this thread).

@ChrisMWilliams being upset at fans for complaining about Omaha not playing in the Iowa game. The only reason that any fan was upset was because most of us felt that being up 30 with 10 mins left in the 2nd half was probably a pretty good low risk opportunity to get Omaha some some experience and confidence. Both of you admitted that Omaha needs those low risk opportunities and that's what these 4 games before conference was for, but when you are up by 30 at home that's exactly what you have. Blum tried to mention this but was kind of overrun by Chris in the next breath and so that aspect wasn't really discussed.

Chris made the whole thing sound like it would have been too much for him. Many of us just wanted to see the local kid enjoy and participate in the blowout. I don't think that's an unfair opinion. I know that you guys don't want to make every pod about Omaha, but I do believe the points and arguments described in the pod unintentionally misled many fans and probably needs to be clarified on Wed.

Regardless, we love you guys, and thanks for the great content.
So if you saw someone already correct Blum and then acknowledge he came in and said he was wrong, why did you feel the need to call it out again? Weird.

And the coaches are going to do what they are going to do with Omaha. I’m sure TJ and Omaha have talked about everything many times and there is a plan. And from every account Omaha is locked in and being fantastic about the current trajectory. The coaches don’t owe the fans anything from a playing time standpoint, even in a blowout.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
I know this isn't a great comp, but he reminds me of the explosiveness of Zion Williamson. Obviously leaner. And maybe not quite as athletic... because that's a high bar.

Jimmy Butler once Omaha gets a little thicker, or a taller JR Rider? Maybe a slightly more fast-twitch Sean Elliot? How about this one: Shane Battier. I think that's a decent comp for Omaha.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So if you saw someone already correct Blum and then acknowledge he came in and said he was wrong, why did you feel the need to call it out again? Weird.

And the coaches are going to do what they are going to do with Omaha. I’m sure TJ and Omaha have talked about everything many times and there is a plan. And from every account Omaha is locked in and being fantastic about the current trajectory. The coaches don’t owe the fans anything from a playing time standpoint, even in a blowout.

Someone said on the game thread that they knew of Omaha getting a really hard 2 hour work out before the Iowa game and all indications were the staff and him were focused on whatever that was vs. planning on playing him. They likely knew they wouldn't need him since Iowa was so weak so long as ISU played their game.

@tzjung probably won't acknowledge this as a factor related to the staff having a plan and Omaha understanding what that plan is, but that's how things go around here.

I said it in the PVATM thread, but I really think if he fouled out in 15 minutes, some CFers would still be saying he should have played 20.

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
I am 100% with @brentblum on Clark. She certainly is the most impactful women’s player today, but relative to their time period she isn’t close to Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Britney Griner, or Sabrina Ionescu. I’d argue Parker is the most impactful on that list by a mile, especially with her high school hype

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Not even close IMO. Shorter version of Bol Bol is the best comparison I can think of.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
I am 100% with @brentblum on Clark. She certainly is the most impactful women’s player today, but relative to their time period she isn’t close to Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Britney Griner, or Sabrina Ionescu. I’d argue Parker is the most impactful on that list by a mile, especially with her high school hype
Cheryl Miller is the only basketball player that was as famous as Clark.

Help Support Us

Become a patron