Williams & Blum Pod: Cy-Hawk, Omaha & offensive coordinators

seanmf

Feb 6, 2014
He can go to the G-league and still be a first round pick. He can join the G-league without declaring for the draft, and play for a year and still be eligible for the NBA draft in 2025. That's a totally viable path as well.
At this point I don't see him even getting a G-league contract. He needs at least another year of college the way things are going for him. Also lot more chances of playing time next year I would think.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I’m not that upset by all this. Basketball talent evaluations have always been bizarre to me. Hopefully he has good people around him to make good decisions for himself these next couple years.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping for him to be our “Kevin Durrant / National player of the year” - type freshman. Was that so much to ask???…..

Reactions: rosshm16

Kettes

Sep 18, 2022
Enjoy!

I'm curious why y'all have closed the comments on all of your videos. I find that a comments section serves the same purpose as open source in applications; it tends to greatly reduce BS by keeping the producers in check.

You might consider opening it up.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know about Watson, but Omaha's camp was pretty openly only planning on a year in college. And if that's still his plan, he can go G-league, continue to develop his game against professional talent, and collect a paycheck. His minutes and production, this year, won't have a ton of impact on that. NBA is all about potential.
He won’t be signed by a GL team unless he shows a lot more.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I don't know why people try to diminish Clark's national relevance. If she wasn't a Hawk I think people some people would talk differently. She isn't getting national deals for being a state of Iowa topic. She is getting national deals because she has national relevance.
Meh

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
I’m not that upset by all this. Basketball talent evaluations have always been bizarre to me. Hopefully he has good people around him to make good decisions for himself these next couple years.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping for him to be our “Kevin Durrant / National player of the year” - type freshman. Was that so much to ask???…..
The sad truth is a lot of evaluators at the youth level don't have a great pulse for the game. Granted there will always be players whose game won't translate at the next level but we are seeing a lot more "misses" than ever before.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I hope Omaha continues to progress, wherever that may be. Hopefully here. But regardless, as much as I follow recruiting, and of course its a HUGE step up to Div. 1 basketball, its shocking that even tho rankings often can be deceiving, that he was ranked a 5-star and can't hardly 'get minutes' on our basketball team. Still hope he's learning alot and enjoying his experience here. But maybe that bridge has been crossed, I don't know. We do know our coaches know what they're doing.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
The sad truth is a lot of evaluators at the youth level don't have a great pulse for the game. Granted there will always be players whose game won't translate at the next level but we are seeing a lot more "misses" than ever before.
Omaha was a Mcdonald's All-american and was one of the best players there. He also played really well on the usa U19 team. It's pretty hard to say evaluators we're wrong on him. I think he is just a project and the game hasn't slowed down enough to play over 4 upperclassmen in the frontcourt.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Omaha was a Mcdonald's All-american and was one of the best players there. He also played really well on the usa U19 team. It's pretty hard to say evaluators we're wrong on him. I think he is just a project and the game hasn't slowed down enough to play over 4 upperclassmen in the frontcourt.
Well said.

I'm sure in some systems he may be playing more out of necessity and hope he doesn't get discouraged and embraces learning from teammates and coaches.

It seems the game is a bit fast for him now, but that can be learned if he's patient. Clearly the raw skills/talent is there.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
Respectfully, I disagree. I understand where he was rated and the teams he was apart of. And I am in no way denying his potential but having watched him closely since the 7th grade, nothing in his skillset suggested him making an immediate impact out the game. Him not being able to make an immediate impact directly contradicts him being considered a top 10/15 prospect in the country. Which leaves us to one of two conclusions, the first being the staff at ISU don't know what they are doing or people who have envaulted him over the years got it wrong. I side with the latter.