Window replacement

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We’re looking at replacing windows in our house and have gotten quotes from Pella and replacement by Anderson. We currently have single hung windows and are looking to potentially go to casement but our bedrooms window dimensions make us have to go from two single hung windows down to three vertical casements and we aren’t necessarily sold on it and how it looks.

Anyone replace windows on their house recently? If so, who’d you use? What type of windows did you go with? Overall cost? Any recommendations you can provide would be appreciated.

Reactions: CycloneSpinning

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
We started this process last year. Got quotes from both anderson and pella. Ended up going through the local lumber yard. They had a much better product, price was very attractive and seemed to care about our experience. They know the names of people they trust who can install them for you. I'm glad I didn't go with Pella or Anderson.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We started this process last year. Got quotes from both anderson and pella. Ended up going through the local lumber yard. They had a much better product, price was very attractive and seemed to care about our experience. They know the names of people they trust who can install them for you. I'm glad I didn't go with Pella or Anderson.
Was the cost that much different and where did you go?

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Been out of the business for a couple years but would reiterate the last post. We replaced far more Pella's than any other brand so we shied away from them. Anderson makes a quality product but heard the Replacement by Anderson are overpriced. If you have a Spahn & Rose or local lumberyard to order them through and a local installer you may be better off. I thought I heard the anderson's available at Menards are a lower quality than at local lumberyards. Another thing to consider is if changing from the two single hungs to three casement windows still meets bedroom egress codes if that applies in your locality

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I'd price out some other brands. Both are good quality, but I've always thought both were expensive. There's a lot of comparable window brands for a lot less money. Of the 2 I'd go with Pella over Andersons though. I've set a ton of both and Pella's aren't near as flimsy as Andersons. What clad you go with is important too. I build so I like vinyls because they're easy, but wood interior with metal exterior clad are the best imo.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had a neighbor that priced window replacement last year and Renewal by Anderson were their highest bid by a lot.

I have a kitchen window that was leaking the other day so I'll probably just bid out some general contractors to see what 1 smaller window replacement will cost me.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I'd price out some other brands. Both are good quality, but I've always thought both were expensive. There's a lot of comparable window brands for a lot less money. Of the 2 I'd go with Pella over Andersons though. I've set a ton of both and Pella's aren't near as flimsy as Andersons. What clad you go with is important too. I build so I like vinyls because they're easy, but wood interior with metal exterior clad are the best imo.
If you were going to build your own house would you put in vinyl clad or wood? Or fiberglass/fibrex? And would you put in single hung, double hung, casement or…?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We have the Anderson 100? Series in our new build. We had Renewal triple panes in our old house. We've been very happy with both HOWEVER they definitely are priced at a premium. Fibrex is absolutely fantastic.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
If you were going to build your own house would you put in vinyl clad or wood? Or fiberglass/fibrex? And would you put in single hung, double hung, casement or…?
If I didn't care about budget I'd go wood casement with metal exterior clad. Marvin is a good line of window. Price and quality are good for what you get. I've never has a problem with any of their windows and they make about anything you'd want if your shopping around.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
have 35 single panes in a house built in 1860/ my replacement quote sent me back into drinking. it was a wild amount of money

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I know not everyone is able to do this, but I replaced the windows in my house myself, with occasional help from a friend, and I saved a boatload of money. It's amazing how much you can learn from YouTube videos.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I still own my original home back in Iowa. Replaced all windows and sliding glass door a couple years ago. I used Window World. Not high end, not a ton of choices but I'm happy with them to date.

If I remember correctly, WW was a third of Andersen and half of Pella

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Renewal by Anderson and Fibrex. Replaced all Pella’s in our house. Very happy, but double the cost. Get what you pay for though.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Anderson & Pella are ok but obnoxiously overpriced & overrated. Talk to a local experienced lumberyard which will have a quality product and a local installer. I always prefer local on any product after due diligence because: 1. they have a local reputation to protect 2. if something needs to be addressed later, see #1

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
We've been replacing windows in a 1970s built house the past 6 years. I'd suggest finding a local contractor you're with. Then you can order windows through a company like ABC Supply which will have multiple quality levels to pick from.

The times we used a "window company" with its own installers the windows were Ok but installation was questionable. Personally, I think you can get good windows without having to pay Pella or Anderson prices.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
We used Zen Windows a few years ago to replace about half the windows in our house.
Nothing fancy but windows seem like good quality and they seemed like good installers

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
We're going through this process right now. Does Window World exist in your area? We have gotten a number of quotes and they are easily 60% of the cost of any other quotes we've gotten so far. Our issue is that we are wanting to reconfigure two very large sections into "picture windows" rather than three equal sliders that exist today.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
We’re looking at replacing windows in our house and have gotten quotes from Pella and replacement by Anderson. We currently have single hung windows and are looking to potentially go to casement but our bedrooms window dimensions make us have to go from two single hung windows down to three vertical casements and we aren’t necessarily sold on it and how it looks.

Anyone replace windows on their house recently? If so, who’d you use? What type of windows did you go with? Overall cost? Any recommendations you can provide would be appreciated.

Replaced some windows, not recently, but in 2010 and others around 2020. Replaced Pella wood with Pella wood. Pella had a problem with anti-rot treatment in the late 90's and early 2000's so their wood windows did not last long. Also, builders may not have used experienced installers so windows were not wrapped properly to drain moisture from the wood, accelerating rot. Pella gave us what looked like a fair deal, including a good price on an upgraded window with built-in blinds (cleaning dust off blinds is mind numbing work).

If you were OK with the brand of windows in the house, might try the manufacturer or their dealer to see what they will do on replacements. You need a preference for wood, fiber-glas based, or vinyl as each has its own cost and performance characteristics.

The main front windows in our house are 3 vertical casements - 1st floor living room and 2nd floor bedroom and we do not have a problem with appearance, but your window opening may be shorter than ours. Outside casements open, center casement is fixed. Casements catch a breeze when open, but too much wind can mess with the open-close mechanism.

Stumper

Jun 19, 2020
I think it's Heartland Windows but whatever the place is called between Aplington and Parkersburg. Quality windows and we're happy with them.