Windows

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
so the other day i had a guy stop by our house from American Exterior Windows. anyway, i guess they have some program where they will pay for part of the cost if you put a sign up in your yard etc.

my question is, has anyone done anything like this before? we do need some new windows, and i'm gonna let them come and give me a free estimate. basically just so i know the average cost. but are these scams or for real?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I do it too, it is just marketing. When I am driving along if I see a really dirty house, deck, fence, drive, roof, etc and it is a highly traveled area or has many other dirty homes around it. I will goto that person and offer to give them a discounted service if I can wash half now, put up a sign. Then go back in a couple weeks and finish the job.

I even have a stencil and that I can wash my logo and phone number into sidewalks.

On a side note I got new windows from lowes last year and replaced them myself it was very easy. Replaced 5 smaller windows and 1 larger window and I got them all for under 1k in materials.

Last edited:

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
well the main window i need/want to replace is a big bay window in the front. i've had 2 estimates, about 2 years ago, and it was gonna be about $2500 to replace it. :sad:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Let us know how it turns out. I'm looking at getting some new windows too and I'm not handy enough to do it myself.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
well the main window i need/want to replace is a big bay window in the front. i've had 2 estimates, about 2 years ago, and it was gonna be about $2500 to replace it. :sad:

Yeah my large window could of been a bay/bow window, but that would of cost me around 500 - 600 more.

I went with a 3 panel slider for my larger window. It has a large window in the middle and then the 2 side panels slide open. But again buying a bay window myself would of been about 800-1000 for a vinyl window wood ones were alot more.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
either way i'll get a free estimate. And there's no way the guy will be able to scam me. the day he's coming buy, my father and my father-in-law will be there helping me with something else. and both of them ask a lot of questions lol.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
You can get tax credit for installing energy efficient windows if done in 2009 or 2010:

Home Energy Efficiency Improvement Tax Credits
Consumers who purchase and install specific products, such as energy-efficient windows, insulation, doors, roofs, and heating and cooling equipment in existing homes can receive a tax credit for 30% of the cost, up to $1,500, for improvements "placed in service" starting January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2010. See EnergyStar.gov for a complete summary of energy efficiency tax credits available to consumers.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
You can get tax credit for installing energy efficient windows if done in 2009 or 2010:

Home Energy Efficiency Improvement Tax Credits
Consumers who purchase and install specific products, such as energy-efficient windows, insulation, doors, roofs, and heating and cooling equipment in existing homes can receive a tax credit for 30% of the cost, up to $1,500, for improvements "placed in service" starting January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2010. See EnergyStar.gov for a complete summary of energy efficiency tax credits available to consumers.

sweet, thx for the link. i'll definitely look into it!

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
so the other day i had a guy stop by our house from American Exterior Windows. anyway, i guess they have some program where they will pay for part of the cost if you put a sign up in your yard etc.

my question is, has anyone done anything like this before? we do need some new windows, and i'm gonna let them come and give me a free estimate. basically just so i know the average cost. but are these scams or for real?

Just make sure the window's he is trying to sell you qualify for the 2009-2010 stimulus reabate. They need to have a U-Value and a SHGC less than .30 or less. Let me know if you have any questions. I work at a lumber yard and deal with this all of the time.