Winning on the road is rare

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Everybody needs to calm down. Like I posted in another thread, KU won the league last year with a 5-4 road record. They were 14-4 and OU finished 12-6. That means KU could have lost at Hilton and finished 4-5 on the road and still won the conference. Winning on the road is a bonus.

If you're upset about a road loss, be upset about the loss to Tech. That was horrible. Losing to Baylor and Oklahoma is not something to be freaking out about.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You're never as good as you seem after a win, and never as bad as you seem after a loss is a very true saying and something a lot of people on this board should remember.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The OP is right. Winning on the road is extremely tough. It's get even tougher when you don't defend/rebound. That's also the reason we lost to Texas Tech. Just 5 minutes into the second half tonight we were 11-17 from 3pt range!!...and behind by 3....that should not happen.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
KU is 3-2 on the road wins over BU (we lost to) Texas and TCU
We lost to Baylor by one. KU beat Baylor by one. Sometimes it's that close. And with our split with Kansas, it seems like we are very similar to Kansas as far as our overall talent level goes. The Texas Tech loss is really the only difference between our records when you look at them side-by-side.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Yep, team has some holes, but what college bball team doesn't.

The only team that can consistently win on the road in this conference is KU, and even they drop some head scratchers (@TCU a few years ago), or lose in good environments(@ISU and @OSU so far this year).

This team has some very fixable issues, and can still make a deep tourney run. In future years if they want to contend for the regular season title have to hold serve at home, and have to weather the home team runs to put themselves in position to win more games on the road. Disappointed? Certainly. Melting down? Absurd.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
How about just playing "decent" on the road?? We play like CRAP on the road.
We lost to Baylor by one. Kansas beat Baylor by one. So we are two points away from being even with KU there. We also beat WVU on the road. That's no easy feat... Heck, look at last year. We got killed in Morgantown. IT HAPPENS.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
We lost to Baylor by one. Kansas beat Baylor by one. So we are two points away from being even with KU there. We also beat WVU on the road. That's no easy feat... Heck, look at last year. We got killed in Morgantown. IT HAPPENS.

We played like crap and Baylor beat us by 1.

We got steam rolled by Tech, S Carolina and now OU.

Spam

May 21, 2008
It's rare, but if you want to be among the very best teams in your conference, you have to win on the road. Not rocket science.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Okie State may be considered average in some people's mind but during Big12 play, I disagree. Go look at their remaining schedule; they could finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th yet. They have two things that we don't have.... Nash is pro material who can elevate and get a 10-12 ft. shot off against all defenses, and Forte who can score with both penetration and deadly 3pt. shooting. He also seems to work his butt off and play decent hard-nosed defense for 38 minutes a game. And it pains me to admit what I just wrote.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It's not the loss. It's the 27 point mood swing in the middle of the game. This isn't football!

Last edited:

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
See, THAT is something to worry about. But for some fans, it actually is just the fact that we lost.

To 99% of fans it's HOW it happened. (defense, rebounding, focus, effort, urgency) No sense in getting worked up over the 1%.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think we will be in a much better position to judge Iowa State's road woes as of March 7th. We still have road contests against the teams that will likely finish 7th-9th in the conference. If this team goes 3-6 on the road and 9-0 at home I think I would be fairly pleased with a 22-8 regular season record. 12-6 in the toughest conference in America is fairly solid. Likely means a #4 seed or better for the Big Dance. All this being said.....Oklahoma is a horrible match-up for us.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
We've won 3 conference road games each of the last three years (I think). Hopefully we can get 2 of the last 4.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
It's rare, but if you want to be among the very best teams in your conference, you have to win on the road. Not rocket science.
I mean, you have to win more, relative to the rest of the conference. Like I've said, KU won the conference with a 5-4 road record. That's not exactly an unfathomable record. We need to avoid the dumb losses. Losing to Tech can never happen. Losing to TCU can never happen. Win 4 or 5 on the road, take care of business at home, and we're solid. Road wins are rare, even for the top teams in the conference.