Winter Comparison

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I assume you're single? I have to think it's hard to find a wife up there?

Alaskastock_352WN_AA0001_001.jpg

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Do you ride your dog sled to town?

No, I don't have a dog sled team. I own snowmachines aka snowmobiles in the lower 48.

The Nome Kennel Club does sponsor a number of sled dog races in this area. In addition, the Iditarod sled dog race finishes in Nome and the All Alaska Sweepstakes (first place pays $100,000) starts and finishes in Nome.

Dog sledding is an expensive sport. Serious participants will board 200 plus dogs and have full time dog trainers.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I live on the west coast of Alaska; Nome. My house is 12 miles from town. We are not connected to municpal power so I rely on a diesel generator for electricty. In addition, there is no telephone service (land lines or cell phones) where my house is located. I have yet to turn my furnance on this winter. I stoke up the wood stove in the morning and again in the evening to heat my house. There aren't any trees in this region (tundra) so I cut up pallets and burn them in the wood stove.

Grisley Adams is a wimp compared to you. You know you do have an options to move?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have satellite internet and satellite TV. Nome's population is 4,000 but our road system does not connect with any other communities.

I had lived in quite a few cities before I moved here. I wanted to move somewhere where life wasn't about keeping up with the Jones's and to get away from the rat race all together.

Smart man.... I've been wanting to do that myself (get out of the city and the never-ending rat-race) but the longer I've worked it seems the more stuff I have to pay for, and therefore the more I have to work, its a vicious circle. I got to go down to the Florida coast for most of the fall for work, and I spent most of my time wade-fishing the saltwater lagoons (crazy good-fishing, dolphins swim right by ya, but you gotta stay on the lookout for gators, sharks, and stingrays) and lying on the beach.

Supposed to be back there permanently by now but it hasn't worked out yet, so I'm stuck in the freezing cold city surrounded by concrete and cars.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Nope, I'm married. But if I wasn't there are plenty of Eskimo women to curl up with to keep warm.:smile:

Something else is the lower 48ers don't truly understand is the northern lights... Simply spectacular. And the mosquitos ... Simply relentless.

The cold part is interesting too. When it gets really cold in Fairbanks your car tires square-up so you have a giant flatspot in the bottom. If you get in your car after its set in 30 below for a while and shut your door, pretty good chance all the vinyl will shatter. Every vehicle has battery heaters, block heaters and so on.

I loved my 2 years up there and want to take the wife back for a visit. Had a gal friend of mine move to Kotzebue for a government job. Not much of a looker (understatement) but she got married there just the same.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron