Winter tires - General Thread

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I can speak to performance tires being an absolute nightmare in snow. Learned that lesson the hard way years ago. They didn't make low profile snow tires :)
Funny story, years ago after visiting the Minneapolis auto show I decided to stop by the Infiniti dealership in Wayzata to take a look at the new (at the time) G35. It's mid-thirties outside and overcast and while I'm milling around, the sales rep comes and after chatting, asks me if I'd like to take a test spin. I said sure, why not.

After looking for a demo, he finds the only G35 available has summer tires. I deliberately asked him if he was sure and he blows it off like it's no big deal. Again, it's like 35 degrees outside. We get in and go anyway. After waiting for traffic to pass, I begin to pull out of the lot and the wheels immediately spin. No grip. This still doesn't the phase the rep. Gunning for a sale I guess.

So we pull out onto Wayzata Blvd, which for those unfamiliar is like a frontage road. I'm feathering it appropriately, until he says, go ahead and give it some gas. Knowing that was not a smart thing to do, I lightly tapped the gas instead. Didn't matter. Back end of the car went 90 degrees to the right. I correct and it swings 90 degrees to the left before I got it straightened out. He catches his breath and goes "S***!!!"

He was practically attached to the ceiling the remaining way back to the dealership, certain we were going to crash the car.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Funny story, years ago after visiting the Minneapolis auto show I decided to stop by the Infiniti dealership in Wayzata to take a look at the new (at the time) G35. It's mid-thirties outside and overcast and while I'm milling around, the sales rep comes and after chatting, asks me if I'd like to take a test spin. I said sure, why not.

After looking for a demo, he finds the only G35 available has summer tires. I deliberately asked him if he was sure and he blows it off like it's no big deal. Again, it's like 35 degrees outside. We get in and go anyway. After waiting for traffic to pass, I begin to pull out of the lot and the wheels immediately spin. No grip. This still doesn't the phase the rep. Gunning for a sale I guess.

So we pull out onto Wayzata Blvd, which for those unfamiliar is like a frontage road. I'm feathering it appropriately, until he says, go ahead and give it some gas. Knowing that was not a smart thing to do, I lightly tapped the gas instead. Didn't matter. Back end of the car went 90 degrees to the right. I correct and it swings 90 degrees to the left before I got it straightened out. He catches his breath and goes "S***!!!"

He was practically attached to the ceiling the remaining way back to the dealership, certain we were going to crash the car.
That's pretty much it. Those suckers freeze up and become completely worthless!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If putting on winter tires makes you a better driver, than go for it. That said, if you have an AWD vehicle, I believe you can find AS that work very well. Last fall, I did a ton of comparison shopping for my Audi and ended up with Vredestein tires. German car, German tires I guess, but my point is don't just shop the popular tires that TiresPlus or your local Firestone place is pushing.

Those are the tires my mobile tire guy recommended when he took my old Dunlaps off last year. Not to open a can off worms here but he was saying the Dunlaps (with pleny of tread left) should be replaced as they would turn 10 years old before this winter. Just out of college me would have said **** that and I'd keep running them but it does seem to be the standard. Hard to find someone to contradict it and some tire dudes won't mount them if that old.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Those are the tires my mobile tire guy recommended when he took my old Dunlaps off last year. Not to open a can off worms here but he was saying the Dunlaps (with pleny of tread left) should be replaced as they would turn 10 years old before this winter. Just out of college me would have said **** that and I'd keep running them but it does seem to be the standard. Hard to find someone to contradict it and some tire dudes won't mount them if that old.

Previous Dunlap tires were great dry weather, but I didn't like them in the rain. I always felt like I was sliding. The Pilots are loud too. I've never heard of a 10 year rule, but I suppose at some point, the rubber breaks down. I've just used the penny test.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ended up going with the popular Bridgestone Blizzacks. So far they are significantly quieter on dry pavement than the Dunlap snow booties I had on before. Those things had a lot of road noise. Seem to ride smoother to.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Anyone that has never tried snow tires should not comment, people just have no idea how much difference there is, all seasons are really only 3 season tires, and there is a reason some areas still require snow tires.

A front wheel drive with snow tires will out perform an all wheel drive with all seasons in the snow and ice.
There are several YT videos where they test this, it is actually not even close, and I am not talking about a studded tire, just a non studded snow tire. Braking, acceleration, cornering all are better with snow tires by far, snow/winter tires are so much superior to all seasons in the winter its not even a competition. There would be a lot less people in the ditch in the winter if they would switch to winter tires.

I have had several cars that are terrible with all season tires in the winter, but will go thru all kinds of snow and ice with snow tires. Front wheel drive cars drive like a dream with snow tires on snow and ice. All wheel and 4 wheel drive will go through just about anything, the difference in performance is unbelievable.

First thing I did when my oldest got her car was buy her a set of rims and winter tires for it, to swap out in the winters, I would do it regardless if she was driving a front wheel drive or all wheel drive, so much safer.

A lot of when to put them on is really dependent on the forecast, and can depend on where you are at, Northern Iowa definitely gets some snow usually earlier than DM and south. But, that being said my usual time is around Thanksgiving, but an expected early winter, or similar can make that come early. Usually once you get in the freezing temps regularly its time to get them changed.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Like are people taking their Priuses through snow drifts?
Next snow storm I will take a honda civic with snow tires or a any front wheel drive for that matter, or hell next bad ice storm, and put it against any all wheel drive SUV with All Season tires and we will see who wins and who ends up in the ditch. Really I could probably take a 1985 rear wheel drive Monte Carlo with snow tires and beat an all wheel drive SUV with all seasons most of the time. All seasons are pretty terrible, and if you have never driven anything without then with snow tires you really would not believe the difference. They are worth the price to get use them in the winter.

Its not just about snow drifts, its about city streets packed with snow, Ice on roads, slush, everything there is in the winter, cold temps included. The soft compound, tread pattern, and siping make snow tires far superior to any all season tires. They maintain grip far longer and in far worse conditions, including ice, snow and slush better, because of many factors, that allow you better traction and control throughout the winter.

Hell even on dry pavement, on a cold winter day the snow/winter tires will out perform All season tires because the compound is designed to stay soft and maintain grip in much colder temps than all season tires.

• Winner
Reactions: 1100011CS

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
For SnowCraig and others that doubt, winter tires will greatly increase the cornering and stopping ability of all cars, and significantly increase the traction of front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars. Ever notice that the majority of cars in the ditch after blizzards are 4wd. Thats because, sure they could go, but they couldn't stay under control or stop as well on their all seasons. Get an extra set of rims and the change is easy. I do it in my garage in about 5 or 10 minutes per car. Also you save enough treadwear on your all-seasons, that it doesn't really cost you more over time. If it saves just one accident over the years for me, my wife, or teen drivers it's worth it.

p.s. Great videos to demonstrate Speedy!

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
BTW everybody, there is no such thing as "Dunlap" tires as stated in numerous posts.

It is Dunlop Tires.

If you truly have "Dunlap" tires, I can find a Rollecks watch and a real Nkie's!

1667791415538.png New Micky D's in Russia.

1667791563587.png

Reactions: 2speedy1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well must be getting close to time to put my winter booties on, FWD car and it almost got loose on the wet paving going to the game Sat. I'll have to take a closer look at them they must be more worn than I thought.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I bought a Ford Fusion last spring as a kid car that had a new set of winter tires on it. I refuse to buy a second set of tires for the vehicle so have been driving with them on all year. They are loud and handling is subpar during the summer but surprisingly they did not seem to wear much. Am looking forward to seeing how they handle this winter! I have driven with all seasons my entire life and generally have had excellent luck with them, but I am a cautious winter driver.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've had a lot of cars in my life that were bad in the snow. A lot of RWD sports cars and none of them were great on the snow. With that said, when I had a FWD Mazdaspeed 3 with "Summer only" tires, I kind of laughed it off. NO, THEY ARE NOT JOKING. I pulled out of the garage after a couple inches of snow, backed down the driveway and literally couldn't move. I had some local kids push me but every time they no longer pushed, the car would not move. I ended up turning around within a block and had them push me back into the garage. I bought some dedicated all season tires/rims and it was a complete monster in the snow after that.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Next snow storm I will take a honda civic with snow tires or a any front wheel drive for that matter, or hell next bad ice storm, and put it against any all wheel drive SUV with All Season tires and we will see who wins and who ends up in the ditch. Really I could probably take a 1985 rear wheel drive Monte Carlo with snow tires and beat an all wheel drive SUV with all seasons most of the time. All seasons are pretty terrible, and if you have never driven anything without then with snow tires you really would not believe the difference. They are worth the price to get use them in the winter.

Its not just about snow drifts, its about city streets packed with snow, Ice on roads, slush, everything there is in the winter, cold temps included. The soft compound, tread pattern, and siping make snow tires far superior to any all season tires. They maintain grip far longer and in far worse conditions, including ice, snow and slush better, because of many factors, that allow you better traction and control throughout the winter.

Hell even on dry pavement, on a cold winter day the snow/winter tires will out perform All season tires because the compound is designed to stay soft and maintain grip in much colder temps than all season tires.
Speedy, you just need to slow down...;)

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2speedy1