Wiring question

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Got a new fan WITHOUT a light but with a remote. There is a light switch in the room that turned the old fan on/off. In the ceiling I have black, white, red, and metal ground. On the fan I have white, Black, and green. I wrapped the red up by itself, white to white, black to black, and green to ground. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Typically in that wiring set up your black and red are both hot, one is for the light and one for the fan. Maybe the red wire is hooked to the light switch. Try switching the black to red and see if that helps

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I took a picture before I removed the old one and red went to blue on the fan, black went to black. Does this make sense?
Typically in that wiring set up your black and red are both hot, one is for the light and one for the fan. Maybe the red wire is hooked to the light switch. Try switching the black to red and see if that helps

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I took a picture before I removed the old one and red went to blue on the fan, black went to black. Does this make sense?
Yes, on the fan side the blue wire is power to the fan, black is power to the light. The red wire in the ceiling is being driven by the "fan on/off" switch on the wall.

Edit: I wasn't trying to be snarky with my question. It sounds like, if you have two switches on the wall, you've got the fan wired up to the "fan light" switch

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Thanks everyone. My old one didn't have a light but it had a place for a light so it was wired for one.