SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
  • Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Feels like you see stories like this every few years. Blows my mind this could happen.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not that it matters much, but curious -- do most incidents involve the "spear" at top of the umbrella, or is the unit coming loose and the lower "shaft" doing it?
Think it would be top, because if the bottom led, the umbrella would be forced shut and not blow as well.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I knew a woman who was sitting at a park on a picnic table and branch fell on her and killed her

This sort of thing seems to be more common every year and I know I've seen more down trees. Starting last summer I started being way more vigilant on where I place my tent to camp.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Not that it matters much, but curious -- do most incidents involve the "spear" at top of the umbrella, or is the unit coming loose and the lower "shaft" doing it?
The long end of a beach umbrella is usually pointed to push into the sand. Not sharp, but enough that it could penetrate with some force. These umbrellas lock open just like a rain umbrella. But they're twice as big or bigger, so a little wind packs a hell of a punch.

The article says it went through her arm and penetrated her rib cage.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Obviously, we need more rules and regulations on beach umbrellas. Probably start with a licensing program so it costs a couple hundred $ to even carry a beach umbrella out into public. Users will need to show certification that they were trained and know how to properly operate a beach umbrella ($50) and carry liability insurance in case of an incident. Also, they will need to implement an umbrella inspection department with annual inspection ($75) to ensure the most dangerous umbrellas are removed from service.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Obviously, we need more rules and regulations on beach umbrellas. Probably start with a licensing program so it costs a couple hundred $ to even carry a beach umbrella out into public. Users will need to show certification that they were trained and know how to properly operate a beach umbrella ($50) and carry liability insurance in case of an incident. Also, they will need to implement an umbrella inspection department with annual inspection ($75) to ensure the most dangerous umbrellas are removed from service.
Oof

Reactions: cyguy9320

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Needs a committee to come up with a committee to oversee the names of different committees including coming up with the acronyms of the names of the committees and processes for all of this.