Women’s Team

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Just saw an ad on Facebook for Iowas women’s team. Has anyone heard anything about the potential of adding a women’s team. Especially with the new facility I didn’t know if adding another locker room was feasible or if they could take over the current facility.

Just wondering as I don’t want us to start behind in the sport because we didn’t get it going at the start.

Reactions: nrg4isu

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
The last I had heard was that adding a women's program was not in the current plan.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The only hope I see is that all the Wrestling facilities in Lied will now be available, and as far as I can tell all those renovations and additions are still moving forward at the Lied, even with the new facility.

So... could a womens team take over the Lied facilities? It would make an easy transition. But have to believe there is still a few things that have to fall into place for ISU to add womens wrestling. One is probably that there will have to be more D1 teams adding it to compete with. Right now Iowa I believe is the only D1 team. If a few schools in major wrestling markets band together to start up programs it could help. I just dont know how much womens wrestling is happening in other states, like is in Iowa. But if it is growing in other states like OK, AZ, PA, etc. like Iowa, some of the wrestling schools in those states could make it happen.

I just dont know if ISU will add any sport in the near future. Seems we are pretty content with what we have now, even with the growth of other sports around the country.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We have plenty of sports that we lose money already no reason to add another one.

Reactions: Cyclad

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
We have plenty of sports that we lose money already no reason to add another one.

May not be a popular opinion, but I would be for dropping one women's sport to add wrestling.

Lots of highly talented girls in the state who will now go to Iowa (or out of State) to wrestle, and will loose generations of female wrestlers due to Iowa's team (which will dominate the sport).

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

ryanliberty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 31, 2021
You can't put the women in lied. Title IX requires equal for same sports. Women's basketball has to get exact same space and extras as men's.

ryanliberty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 31, 2021
You could build same quality but no one could argue lied equals new wrestling facility

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You are incorrect
I can't find it at the moment, but I posted a link on a different thread of a heavily male-dominated school (like 80% of underclassmen) having a successful lawsuit filed against them due to a disproportionately high number of athletic opportunities for women. It's uncommon due to historical factors, but it does go both ways.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I can't find it at the moment, but I posted a link on a different thread of a heavily male-dominated school (like 80% of underclassmen) having a successful lawsuit filed against them due to a disproportionately high number of athletic opportunities for women. It's uncommon due to historical factors, but it does go both ways.
Here it is. https://sportslitigationalert.com/f...instate-mens-rowing-after-title-ix-complaint/

70% male. 60% male athletics. School tried to cut men's rowing and had to reinstate it.