Women’s Team

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Especially with the new facilities coming this should be an easy add other than financially.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Iowa's women's program uses the existing facilities next to the men. A brand new, six mat facility should be big enough to house men's and women's wrestling. Regardless of recent success the women's tennis or swimming & diving would be the first to discontinue if I were in charge.

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
i
Iowa's women's program uses the existing facilities next to the men. A brand new, six mat facility should be big enough to house men's and women's wrestling. *Regardless of recent success the women's tennis or swimming & diving would be the first to discontinue if I were in charge.

*if successful, why discontinue ?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Iowa's women's program uses the existing facilities next to the men. A brand new, six mat facility should be big enough to house men's and women's wrestling. Regardless of recent success the women's tennis or swimming & diving would be the first to discontinue if I were in charge.

*if successful, why discontinue ?
The three sports that came to my mind to be on the chopping block were Tennis, Golf and Swimming/Diving. Of those three S&D is the only one with Iowan's on the roster is mostly made up of Midwesterners. Golf and Tennis hardly have any American's on them. Tennis is already getting their own facility along with recent success I think that saves them. Golf I don't think has ever done much and if our goal is to bring in more Iowan's/Midwesterners than I think that needs to be the one to go.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
The three sports that came to my mind to be on the chopping block were Tennis, Golf and Swimming/Diving. Of those three S&D is the only one with Iowan's on the roster is mostly made up of Midwesterners. Golf and Tennis hardly have any American's on them. Tennis is already getting their own facility along with recent success I think that saves them. Golf I don't think has ever done much and if our goal is to bring in more Iowan's/Midwesterners than I think that needs to be the one to go.
You must not pay attention to our golf program. We recently built one of the nation's top practice facilities and have a top 25 program. Turn on ESPN and you can watch a couple of our top ladies compete in the top tournaments including the national championship.

Reactions: G-imJustafan

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Sometimes I think the University forgets they are here to serve Iowans and ensure prosperity of our state (especially as a land-grant). Fast forward 3 years, are we going to have more girls in Iowa wrestling or swimming? What are the upkeep costs on a competitive swimming pool vs a wrestling facility used by both men and women? It's an absolute no-brainer in my book.