Womens Basketball Shorts

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What the hell is going on with them? Every game I see some have them yanked way up, Some have short shorts on. Some have long shorts that they someone tie the leg part up higher. I know this post is stupid. I am ok with that. I just can't figure out what is going on.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
In other news...

old.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Isn't it similar to Halliburton folding his waistline up? They may just want more freedom of movement. I would hate to play with baggy shorts.

Or, maybe it is "if you've got the legs, show them!"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa HS girls put a rule in this year that you can't fold down the waistband of the pants or tuck in the legs into and compression shorts or anything else underneath. Think the sports have been getting a little too long and now girls are being bothered by them. I have seen HS boys teams starting to shorten up the lengths also.

Shorts in my day were too short, but shorts were basically becoming like hemmed up pants with as long as they were getting. When they are so long that they still cover your knee when you bend it up, you have to have them quite baggy to avoid restricting movement. Think they finally found the tipping point in the length.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I do think it is interesting that 15 years ago and earlier the shorts were super short, and especially for the men they were quite “restricting”. Then the trend was to go big and baggy - the bigger the better. In the past couple years the shorts have now started to trend shorter again, but this time without the “restriction” problems of the shorts 15 years ago.

The fabrics and fabric blends have come a long way in the past decade or so- the NBA is also working on a uniform that can change numbers. Paul George wore one of the jerseys during the all star game this year. PG was wearing 13 after a big dunk his number “glitched” to 14.

Very interesting stuff.

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
Outside of potential performance issues, styles will always cycle/change. Nothing to see here.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do think it is interesting that 15 years ago and earlier the shorts were super short, and especially for the men they were quite “restricting”. Then the trend was to go big and baggy - the bigger the better. In the past couple years the shorts have now started to trend shorter again, but this time without the “restriction” problems of the shorts 15 years ago.

The fabrics and fabric blends have come a long way in the past decade or so- the NBA is also working on a uniform that can change numbers. Paul George wore one of the jerseys during the all star game this year. PG was wearing 13 after a big dunk his number “glitched” to 14.

Very interesting stuff.

Is this so if you have a player get 3 fouls, you can have it change to avoid having them foul out?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Really, it was short shorts until the Fab 5 came along in the 90's, then baggy got cool. Now its getting a little less baggy.

Really, whatever makes the players the most comfortable.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
A little off topic but I never understood why volleyball players wear those skin-tight, short-shorts. I'm not complaining, just curious why they would need something different than basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: PlanoClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Really, it was short shorts until the Fab 5 came along in the 90's, then baggy got cool. Now its getting a little less baggy.

Really, whatever makes the players the most comfortable.

I thought I remembered Michael Jordan being the start of baggy shorts.

Found this article to support it.
https://www.dish.com/dig/sports/the-evolution-of-baggy-basketball-shorts/

Even a New York Times article about Michigan shorts gives credit to Jordan.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/michigan-basketball-shorts.html

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A little off topic but I never understood why volleyball players wear those skin-tight, short-shorts. I'm not complaining, just curious why they would need something different than basketball.

I think VB likes tighter clothing (jerseys are usually snug also) so their hands and arms don't get caught in them while moving around. They are jumping and swinging their arms enough and also needing lateral movement more that they could have more problems with looser clothes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron