wood flooring putty

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I am refinishing a 1930 old growth heart pine floor. Just curious if there are any flooring peeps out there that have any advice on which wood putty to use (or not use). any and all advice appreciated. I'll probably use a light stain and finish with poly.

also any recommendations on poly brands. I did my oak floors a few years back and am not happy with the brand of poly I used on them.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am refinishing a 1930 old growth heart pine floor. Just curious if there are any flooring peeps out there that have any advice on which wood putty to use (or not use). any and all advice appreciated. I'll probably use a light stain and finish with poly.
Woodwise or Bona. Zar if the gaps are very big as it has a thicker consistency. Probably don't want to fill it if there is a lot of movement in the floor as it will crack out pretty easily. The ash/maple/pine filler is probably lighter than you want (it's almost white), though the filler will soak up the stain pretty readily.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I do Bona high gloss atleast once a year on my red oak flooring. It really makes a difference.
This year the family went to go visit some other family members for a weekend, I had to stay and work. Wife didn't know until she got home but I did two coats on back to back nights, and it turned out incredible. Fills a lot of dings.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I do Bona high gloss atleast once a year on my red oak flooring. It really makes a difference.
This year the family went to go visit some other family members for a weekend, I had to stay and work. Wife didn't know until she got home but I did two coats on back to back nights, and it turned out incredible. Fills a lot of dings.
Do you have to sand down the current finish? Or how do you apply?