Woodworkers Thread

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I’ve never heard of that. I’ve had mine for maybe three years now with no battery issues. I’ve worked them pretty hard mixing stuff concrete, mortar and grout too. I mixed 14 bags of quickrete a half a bag at a time for our basketball hoop because my corded drill was fried.

On the other hand I’ve got some Ryobi 40V lawn stuff and went through 3 batteries in 3 years.
Here’s where I saw that.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I see DeWalt tools in the background so I'll ask you, and pose to the entire group: I'm working on upgrading my tools from Ryobi to DeWalt. I currently have a Ryobi impact driver that serves me fine. However, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade that to DeWalt or not. Is the $100-$200 purchase worth it? I do one large DIY project just about every year, so those hand tools get some work at my place.

Thoughts?
I have an ever expanding selection of dewalt cordless tools including an impact driver. I like their tools, they are what I started out with and have never had a reason to change. I dropped a drill from 15 feet up once and cracked it pretty bad but it still worked. If your ryobi still works the only reason I would change it is to go to the same batteries as your other tools. I would think the specs for the impact drivers are similar, only difference would be quality. My wife has a ryobi drill, it's a decent tool but noticeably different than a dewalt or makita.
on the other hand you can't have too many tools.
I have used acme tools in the past so I get a catalog once a month and it is amazing how many cordless tools they have now.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Question:
At work we built a bench and painted it black. We wanted to add a clear coat and we used the Minwax water based Polyurethane One Coat. (Never used it before until now). We applied the first coat with a foam brush. After it dried we had quite a few brush marks. So here’s my question, to help get rid of those brush marks would it be best to lightly sand and apply a second coat like normal? Or, lightly sand and try adding a little water to the polyurethane to help thin it out before adding another coat? This stuff just seems so thick and dries quickly, so its hard to work with. Was hoping adding a little water would make it easier to work with. Anybody have experience working with:
0bc722ec44f42e56d1315a099a1eacb6.webp

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Question:
At work we built a bench and painted it black. We wanted to add a clear coat and we used the Minwax water based Polyurethane One Coat. (Never used it before until now). We applied the first coat with a foam brush. After it dried we had quite a few brush marks. So here’s my question, to help get rid of those brush marks would it be best to lightly sand and apply a second coat like normal? Or, lightly sand and try adding a little water to the polyurethane to help thin it out before adding another coat? This stuff just seems so thick and dries quickly, so its hard to work with. Was hoping adding a little water would make it easier to work with. Anybody have experience working with:
I'm not exactly an expert on finishing but when it comes to polyurethane just about any time I brush it on I end up with brush marks no matter what. If you can spray it on you're always ahead of the curve in my opinion.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Question:
I haven’t used that particular product but I have used other Minwax poly. I would quickly defer to others on this thread that are way more knowledgeable but I wonder if your first mistake was going with anything that says One coat. It would worry me to add water to it. I find that it takes a good three coats and lightly sand with 220 in between and you can get it pretty smooth. I actually don’t like applying poly with foam brushes but I probably haven’t used high enough quality ones.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven’t used that particular product but I have used other Minwax poly. I would quickly defer to others on this thread that are way more knowledgeable but I wonder if your first mistake was going with anything that says One coat. It would worry me to add water to it. I find that it takes a good three coats and lightly sand with 220 in between and you can get it pretty smooth. I actually don’t like applying poly with foam brushes but I probably haven’t used high enough quality ones.
Yeah, I didn’t want to use the one coat poly because I knew it would be thicker. But of course, my boss got it because the guy at Home Depot said it was better... I am hoping adding a little water won’t ruin it, and will thin it out enough so its workable.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I see DeWalt tools in the background so I'll ask you, and pose to the entire group: I'm working on upgrading my tools from Ryobi to DeWalt. I currently have a Ryobi impact driver that serves me fine. However, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade that to DeWalt or not. Is the $100-$200 purchase worth it? I do one large DIY project just about every year, so those hand tools get some work at my place.

Thoughts?

My thoughts - if just an amateur, I'd go with what's been working with emphasis on keeping the same battery platform. If a professional, then the emphasis would be on the best available, be it Milwaukee, DeWalt, other. In my case, I've had Makita for several years given the same batteries for drills and drivers. Given that, the Makita's have performed good.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My thoughts - if just an amateur, I'd go with what's been working with emphasis on keeping the same battery platform. If a professional, then the emphasis would be on the best available, be it Milwaukee, DeWalt, other. In my case, I've had Makita for several years given the same batteries for drills and drivers. Given that, the Makita's have performed good.

I tend to agree. I need an upgraded miter saw so I just want all out and got the DeWalt. My Ryobi hand tools will do fine for what I need. So, I’ll probably ride them til they die. I do have some dewalt battery tools though (pole saw and weed wacker) so I’ve somewhat started the conversion.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019

Thoughts?
Milwaukee 1000%. Not to crap on DeWalt....but I think and have seen many times dewalt is trash. We use Milwaukee at work and I love them. Bought them for myself as well. Don't skimp out and make sure you buy the fuel brand as well. 100% worth it. I use my cordless tools so much for both woodworking and working on my vehicles to home projects.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Milwaukee 1000%. Not to crap on DeWalt....but I think and have seen many times dewalt is trash. We use Milwaukee at work and I love them. Bought them for myself as well. Don't skimp out and make sure you buy the fuel brand as well. 100% worth it. I use my cordless tools so much for both woodworking and working on my vehicles to home projects.
I wouldn't say DeWalt is trash but how many different battery connection styles have they gone through in the last decade? I bet it's 3 or 4 where as Milwaukee and Ryobi have kept the same battery housing while updating the internals so if your tool craps out your old batteries aren't worthless. That's most of the reason why I've gone with Milwaukee for my cordless stuff.

Reactions: SouthernCy

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Which tools, specifically? I have seen some less than stellar reviews on some of their hand helds.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Which tools, specifically? I have seen some less than stellar reviews on some of their hand helds.

I’m definitely not a power-user, but have a 20v drill, impact driver, and reciprocating saw, and have been happy with all. I’ve been using the drill and driver for 8(?) years without problems. Same batteries, and the same style they are using for new tools.

With no knowledge, I’d suspect the trick with DeWalt is to get the pro-level tools (20v) instead of 12 or 18.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I’m definitely not a power-user, but have a 20v drill, impact driver, and reciprocating saw, and have been happy with all. I’ve been using the drill and driver for 8(?) years without problems. Same batteries, and the same style they are using for new tools.

With no knowledge, I’d suspect the trick with DeWalt is to get the pro-level tools (20v) instead of 12 or 18.

I used to go through a cordless hammer drill about every three months for work and at the time we would get 36v DeWalts or 32v Milwaukees. The Milwaukees had more torque, longer battery life and lasted longer than the DeWalts every time. That is why I switched to Milwaukee 12v Fuel for my personal stuff and it has been going strong for over 10 years.

DeWalt isn't junk. It just isn't as good as Milwaukee.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I used to go through a cordless hammer drill about every three months for work and at the time we would get 36v DeWalts or 32v Milwaukees. The Milwaukees had more torque, longer battery life and lasted longer than the DeWalts every time. That is why I switched to Milwaukee 12v Fuel for my personal stuff and it has been going strong for over 10 years.

Thanks for the input/clarification. In reality, I'm sure either are fine for what I do. Honestly, the Ryobi impact driver gets me by just fine right now. It's definitely under-powered, I can tell that much. I used a Milwaukee impact at work this week and it drove a 3" screw like butter. Probably used half the time as my Ryobi. Most of what I do doesn't require a ton of screws and it's all DIY/home stuff. I'll just run that Ryobi until it wears down and upgrade then.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Agreed. Which is also the reason for the price difference.

I feel like power tool brand debate is the same as the old Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing. They all have pluses and minuses but they’ll all probably get the job done.

Just pick one within the budget and roll with it. If you’re not using it to make a living, there will probably be a new battery style by the time anything craps out anyways.

Reactions: Pat and Macloney