World Baseball Classic...

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The World Baseball Classic is underway with defending champ Japan beating China 4-0...Ichiro went 0-5 and Kosuke Fukudome went 0-0 with 4 walks...

Last edited:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Fukudome has always been able to walk. That wasn't his problem last year, so I am not surprised to see him take 4 walks in 4 at bats.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
When will Darvish come play in MLB and how much will the Yankees pay him?

isn't that a strange last name for a Japanese player?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Got it DVR'd to watch later... a little suprised that China was able to keep it that close...

I think I heard during the Summer Olympics that China's government is beginning to invest in its baseball programs to become more competitive with the rest of the world. If that's the case, it could be working much quicker than anyone anticipated, because I remember them getting lit up during the Olympics...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think I heard during the Summer Olympics that China's government is beginning to invest in its baseball programs to become more competitive with the rest of the world. If that's the case, it could be working much quicker than anyone anticipated, because I remember them getting lit up during the Olympics...

They started right when they got the bid for the Olympics. I have friends that went over their and made REALLY good money to teach kids to play. It was funny because at first they chinese just sent them a bunch of athletes and told them to make them baseball players. After a while, they were able to convince them to set up a number of youth leagues to start them younger... I am suprised that they were able to be competitive already though, I thought it would be years down the line....

FWIW, Italy is doing a similar thing hiring Americans to teach baseball. I got an offer right out of college to go over there and play in a 'professional league', coach little league, get a free apartment and car plus a nice salary... Still not sure why I didn't do that...

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I think the best part of that game was when the chinese pitcher submarined his throw to first in a pickoff move

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Australia playing the Sox on a free webcast. Brian Anderson just hit one a mile, and Gordon Beckham might make this team.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Australia must suck. Sox up 8-2, bottom 4. Josh Fields 3-3, Brandon Allen 3-3.