Worst city in Iowa?

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Lake City doesn't have a lake. Lying mother****ers.
On the topic of what you would expect from a town if you just go by the name I would throw Pleasantville on the list. Drive through it on the way to lake Red Rock, it's a nice enough town but talk about expectations when you name a town Pleasantville, jeesh.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
From a midwest perspective this is cities that others in your state hate. Everyone in Minnesota hates all the richy-rich Edina folks. That's what the list appears to be getting at.
People from Edina are called "cake-eaters". In the "Mighty Ducks" movie, Banks was called a "cake-eater" because he was from Edina.

• Informative
Reactions: SaraV

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is pretty vague I guess. What are the parameters, the size range, etc.

Iowa only has 3 towns over 100K population.

If you look at a list of towns in Iowa many of the largest are suburbs or at least in Metro areas of bigger "cities" ie. West DM, Ankeney, Council Bluffs. Even Ames and IC can be considered in the Metro for DM or CR.

I have a hard time putting towns like Mason City, Ft dodge, Marshalltown in the same category as CR, DM etc. Let alone smaller towns.

Its also difficult to compare CR or DM to someplace like Chicago.

Cairo IL is on the list and the population is only 1600.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The restaurants/food scene in Iowa City immediately makes me cross them off my list. Probably only second to Des Moines in locally owned restaurants
Don’t count out Cedar Rapids when it comes to locally owned restaurants.

• Informative
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
You're from Humboldt? I dated a girl from Humboldt for a little while in high school. I'm still scarred by how mean she was. I vote Humboldt for this reason even though Humboldt isn't all that bad.
Hahaha, yes, from 2 years old to 10 years old.

Last edited:

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I agree with their assessment of Bakersfield for California, although Fresno is right up there. Both are just awful.

I spent a week in Worcester, MA a while ago, for work. Stayed in what I thought was a nice enough hotel. When the office I was visiting asked me where I was staying they were like "Yikes, don't go out at night!'. I thought they were just giving me a hard time, being a hayseed from Iowa, until the boss pulled me aside later and said "Seriously, you should change hotels. They keep finding dead hookers in that one.".

And when I asked him which hotels were better, he recommended I stay out of town.
Trying not to derail the thread - but if someone I know is planning to visit Yosemite and King's Canyon this year, I should tell them to avoid staying in Fresno? Maybe get a nice airbnb in one of the smaller towns?

• Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I agree with their assessment of Bakersfield for California, although Fresno is right up there. Both are just awful.

I spent a week in Worcester, MA a while ago, for work. Stayed in what I thought was a nice enough hotel. When the office I was visiting asked me where I was staying they were like "Yikes, don't go out at night!'. I thought they were just giving me a hard time, being a hayseed from Iowa, until the boss pulled me aside later and said "Seriously, you should change hotels. They keep finding dead hookers in that one.".

And when I asked him which hotels were better, he recommended I stay out of town.
As a matter of fact, I also believe in random coincidences

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

You didn't reply, "That's OK. I'll just add to the collection."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Is that Craig James’ hotel?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It looks to be pretty low. Turkey Creek, LA has a population of 403.
I think in a lot of places it’s based on how the community is legally organized, not how many people you have. Dow city is apparently a city in Iowa, and it has just over 400 people

That being said, I think they’re using “city” generally to mean city/town/village etc.