Worst College Sports Traditions

Jan 30, 2011
What do you think are some of the worst college sports traditions?

Texas A&M "Gig Em" - WTF does this mean, is it a word? Is it supposed to be intimidating, or just confuse the opponent into oblivion?

Texas A&M "Male Cheerleaders" - What is with A&M and the Homo Erotic Traditions?

Kansas "Rock Chalk Jayhawk Chant" - Sound like a lullaby I sing my daughter to put her to sleep

Lifer

Sep 15, 2007
Overland Park, KS

Texas A&M "Gig Em" - WTF does this mean, is it a word? Is it supposed to be intimidating, or just confuse the opponent into oblivion?

Texas A&M "Male Cheerleaders" - What is with A&M and the Homo Erotic Traditions?

Kansas "Rock Chalk Jayhawk Chant" - Sound like a lullaby I sing my daughter to put her to sleep

Kansas Waving The Wheat after every Jayhawk touchdown. It's just weird. :confused:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

What's worse is that when Aggy yells "Gig Em", they give a thumbs up. So any time you give a thumbs up around an Ag, they immediately think you are on their side. Totally killed the "thumbs up" gesture for me.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Also, all southern schools having some sort of hand gesture. "Guns Up" (Texas Tech and Okie Light), "Hook 'em" (Texas), "Lil Bunny Foo-Foo" (TCU), "Bear Claw" (Baylor), etc.

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
Nebraska "Lil Red" - Time for a real mascot costume

Stanford Tree Mascot - Makes No Sense at all

Auburn "Rolling of the Trees" - I used to TP things in High School, but then I grew up (Not cool that the trees were poisoned though)

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
Also Yelling "Go Hawks" every 10 seconds. Defeats the purpose when you overuse your chant, it just gets annoyingly stupid.

Whin4Cy

Mar 7, 2008
Iowa
For me - the Texas A&M Yell Leaders.

I understand the history, but yells and motions are just stupid.

Funny story with that, my step-father (a big republican), was commenting to me after the Texas A&M game how stupid and gay the yell leaders look. I then let him know that Rick Perry (Texas governor) was a yell leader and he about drove off the road. I believe I just narrowed his field of possible republican presidential candidates by 1.:smile:

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
A&M's "Gig Em" must be a misinterpreted homo-erotic reference to "Gag Em."

I haven't heard the "Guns Up" reference to TT, but my cousin (who attended TT) always said "Wreck 'em Tech" ...a little better, but not by much.

Anything Nebraska just plain suxorz teh big one111.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not exactly the same type of thing but KU home BB crowds drive me crazy. They boo EVERY SINGLE call against them no matter how obvious it is. I would refuse to officate there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
-Everything that A&M does outside of the crowd swaying. That's pretty cool to see.

-EVERY Texas hand signal (Gig 'Em, Hook 'Em, Sic 'Em, TCU's bunny foofoo crap). Guns Up is almost ok. Since TCU is the Horned Frogs, they should call their hand sign Dig 'Em in honor of the Golden Smacks frog.

-Rock Chalk Jayhawk. Whoever said it sounds like a lullaby is right. Either that or a mass prayer you'd hear at a Catholic church.

-Waving the wheat at KU. Would make more sense at K-State, being they're the ag school.

-Dotting the "i" in "Ohio". Much like the conference it's a part of, it's vastly overrated.

-Howard's Rock. OH MY GOD! THEY RUB A ROCK!

-"Play like a champion today". Hasn't meant what it says in 20 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron