Worst Experience at Hilton Ever

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I had tickets to go to this game with my brother, who had never been to a game at Hilton vs a Big 12 opponent. Thought it would be a good time to introduce him to the REAL Hilton Magic against a team like Kansas who, let's face it, is the most exciting team we play and probably our biggest basketball rival (sorry Hawk fans).

It was a dud before it even started. With Agbaji out, we knew some of the luster was off a bit. Kansas without Agbaji is obviously still really good, but he is the star of the show. We didn't let it bother us and arrived early enough to enjoy the shootarounds. Maybe 20 min later, a guy shows up in our section with his wife and 2 young kids (probably both under 10) dressed all in blue. He is wearing a tight fitting Kansas beanie on his tiny noggin. They sit in the row directly behind us. This was off to a far less than ideal start.

The first half was one thing. One of tiny head beanie wearing Dad's rugrats was sitting directly behind me screaming in my ear anytime KU did something well, which was especially often in the first 5-6 min of the game. My ears were bleeding before the under 16.

The kids quiet down as Iowa State battles back, bows up on defense and competes more or less for the rest of the 1H. An eruption of "Traitor! Traitor! Traitor" erupts from the student section as Jalen Coleman-Lands charges into George Conditt and both appear hurt. The mom chirps up, "Real classy, ISU" My brother and I roll our eyes.

Halftime hits and ISU has not played well, but my brother has gotten to see small glimpses of Hilton at its finest, only to be conveniently quelled for KU by media timeouts (these seriously ended 2 of ISU's runs in the first half). We were both a little annoyed but still in decent spirits overall. Then, for reasons unknown, tiny head beanie wearing KU dad decides to switch places with his loudest kid and sits directly behind me. The 2nd half starts.

The guy didn't shut up for 20 game time minutes, or 60 real life minutes. He had a comment for everything going on. "Is that their only play?" every time Brockington would pull up from 19' after taking a handoff from Conditt or Jones on a curl in the high post. "What was that?" followed by hysterical laughter when Jones bricked one off the backboard. He also made fun of Jones when he got stuffed on a soft layup attempt, saying "Where did Iowa State find this guy?"

He was very critical of ISU switching to zone when they did, and kept telling everyone in our vicinity exactly how Bill was going to attack it and why it wasn't going to work. He kept shouting "baseline's open!" "Backdoor all day, baby!" etc.

Around the 5 min mark when some ISU fans were starting to concede the victory and making their way out, he goes, "Where's everybody going?" "Is it something I said?" (He repeated this 3 more times until the final buzzer sounded).

This was a terrible first experience of Hilton Magic for my brother, and my worst overall in person. It was bad enough that ISU did nothing to stir our crowd in the 2H, but to have to sit in front of belligerent Jay Hawk Dad took the cake. Horrible experience. I will be back, because I'm a lifer, but I think my brother is out.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I never understand why anyone in the stands thinks the world wants to hear their running commentary even if we are cheering for the same team. When we are in top row of JTS and some moron is yelling at the players what to do, does he actually think they can hear him or is it just some weird complex of pretending he knows everything and must share it with the world?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I never understand why anyone in the stands thinks the world wants to hear their running commentary even if we are cheering for the same team. When we are in top row of JTS and some moron is yelling at the players what to do, does he actually think they can hear him or is it just some weird complex of pretending he knows everything and must share it with the world?
Section 235ish REBOUND lady would like to have a word with you.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I have Tourette syndrome so I cant ******* help it.

• Haha
Reactions: cyclone1209

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
That is one observation. You need at least take into account law of large numbers, which is 30 or more. When Hilton is banging it is banging.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I'd rather have people engaged in the game, not saying they need to be buttheads.

I often wonder how people can only sit there quietly and only clap.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
I had tickets to go to this game with my brother, who had never been to a game at Hilton vs a Big 12 opponent. Thought it would be a good time to introduce him to the REAL Hilton Magic against a team like Kansas who, let's face it, is the most exciting team we play and probably our biggest basketball rival (sorry Hawk fans).

It was a dud before it even started. With Agbaji out, we knew some of the luster was off a bit. Kansas without Agbaji is obviously still really good, but he is the star of the show. We didn't let it bother us and arrived early enough to enjoy the shootarounds. Maybe 20 min later, a guy shows up in our section with his wife and 2 young kids (probably both under 10) dressed all in blue. He is wearing a tight fitting Kansas beanie on his tiny noggin. They sit in the row directly behind us. This was off to a far less than ideal start.

The first half was one thing. One of tiny head beanie wearing Dad's rugrats was sitting directly behind me screaming in my ear anytime KU did something well, which was especially often in the first 5-6 min of the game. My ears were bleeding before the under 16.

The kids quiet down as Iowa State battles back, bows up on defense and competes more or less for the rest of the 1H. An eruption of "Traitor! Traitor! Traitor" erupts from the student section as Jalen Coleman-Lands charges into George Conditt and both appear hurt. The mom chirps up, "Real classy, ISU" My brother and I roll our eyes.

Halftime hits and ISU has not played well, but my brother has gotten to see small glimpses of Hilton at its finest, only to be conveniently quelled for KU by media timeouts (these seriously ended 2 of ISU's runs in the first half). We were both a little annoyed but still in decent spirits overall. Then, for reasons unknown, tiny head beanie wearing KU dad decides to switch places with his loudest kid and sits directly behind me. The 2nd half starts.

The guy didn't shut up for 20 game time minutes, or 60 real life minutes. He had a comment for everything going on. "Is that their only play?" every time Brockington would pull up from 19' after taking a handoff from Conditt or Jones on a curl in the high post. "What was that?" followed by hysterical laughter when Jones bricked one off the backboard. He also made fun of Jones when he got stuffed on a soft layup attempt, saying "Where did Iowa State find this guy?"

He was very critical of ISU switching to zone when they did, and kept telling everyone in our vicinity exactly how Bill was going to attack it and why it wasn't going to work. He kept shouting "baseline's open!" "Backdoor all day, baby!" etc.

Around the 5 min mark when some ISU fans were starting to concede the victory and making their way out, he goes, "Where's everybody going?" "Is it something I said?" (He repeated this 3 more times until the final buzzer sounded).

This was a terrible first experience of Hilton Magic for my brother, and my worst overall in person. It was bad enough that ISU did nothing to stir our crowd in the 2H, but to have to sit in front of belligerent Jay Hawk Dad took the cake. Horrible experience. I will be back, because I'm a lifer, but I think my brother is out.

Should have asked the guy to quiet down. I have been asked politely and I myself have asked other politely to watch what they're saying and this usually works (unless the person is **** faced). No one should have to deal with this kind of thing

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've become less and less inclined to attend sporting events live in recent years, college and pro. This story only strengthens the belief that I'm on the right path.

I don’t like going to theaters for movies as much anymore. It’s not Covid, it’s not bigger tvs, and it’s not streaming convenience. It’s the people you have to deal with.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd rather have people engaged in the game, not saying they need to be buttheads.

I often wonder how people can only sit there quietly and only clap.
I am quiet by nature but will occasionally share what I'm seeing or thinking with the person or group of people I attend the game with. I don't just broadcast to all within earshot openly. I may have only found this guy annoying because he was a Jayhawk though, and not sure I would have cared if there was a Cyclone fan equivalent of him doing the same thing. It just seemed like a real d!ck way to behave as a visiting fan surrounded by the home teams fans.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Should have asked the guy to quiet down. I have been asked politely and I myself have asked other politely to watch what they're saying and this usually works (unless the person is **** faced). No one should have to deal with this kind of thing
I'll keep that in mind. I am not big on confrontation, but if ever faced with a situation like this again I think I will have to say something for my own sanity. I was surprised none of the other Cyclone fans in our section said anything, as I could tell others were agitated as well. I think we were all just hoping the clones would give us enough reason to drown the guy out, which unfortunately didn't happen.

Reactions: ClonesInDallas

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've become less and less inclined to attend sporting events live in recent years, college and pro. This story only strengthens the belief that I'm on the right path.

I prefer sitting in my basement and watching games, way less hassle. That being said I have never had a bad experience at Hilton or JtS.

Reactions: CyNews

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I am quiet by nature but will occasionally share what I'm seeing or thinking with the person or group of people I attend the game with. I don't just broadcast to all within earshot openly. I may have only found this guy annoying because he was a Jayhawk though, and not sure I would have cared if there was a Cyclone fan equivalent of him doing the same thing. It just seemed like a real d!ck way to behave as a visiting fan surrounded by the home teams fans.

I tend to watch sports from a different perspective from most fans. I watch it like I am watching game film, so I see a lot of things happening or see things setting up to happen before they do. Because of this I often explain what or how something happened to my wife or the people around me, but not in an annoying way. Like I see the screen set to allow a alley oop or a key block to spring a long run. The people in my football section tend to ask me a lot of questions during the game lol.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don’t like going to theaters for movies as much anymore. It’s not Covid, it’s not bigger tvs, and it’s not streaming convenience. It’s the people you have to deal with.

We're ok going to movies but it depends on the theater. Probably 98% of the time we would go to Fleur Cinema, which is still closed. We'll go to other smaller theaters, but avoid Jordan Creek and places like Flix like the plague.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Amen to that. The wife I went to a movie a couple years ago and the woman sitting right next to us somehow smuggled in a whole rack of ribs. She spent the first half of the movie sucking on the bones. I thought it was over when she closed the box and put it under her seat, but then she started flossing.