Worst Movies Ever

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I can't get over the ham-fisted preachiness. I guess I should simply see that as comedy too.
That's what I love about it and enjoy the absolute comedy of it. It's as over-the-top as any of the movies in this thread that complain about that same characteristic. I think it's outright silly and I love that they take themselves seriously.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I have posted about this before, but I certainly would not consider these the worst movies, but certainly movies that as someone that is not a movie nerd, and doesn't care about the mechanics of film-making, I really don't get the fascination with Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. Deep down I think these are movies that way more people say they like than actually enjoy them. I think being of HS and college age in the 90s these were just movies you were supposed to think were genius. If you thought some characters' acting was terrible, that because QT meant for it to be that way, and here's some inside-baseball nerd explanation why.
I sort of consider them "time and place" movies. At the time, there wasn't much else like them, so they stood apart. Then the imitators arrived on the scene in droves, and there was a glut of stylized, hyper violent films trying to recreate the "QT" formula, and the downstream effect is that the originals lose some of their luster. With that said, the core of what made those films so popular and transcendent is still there, it's just been watered down by time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Lol, another Independence Day fan...

I'm going replay that awesome scene where a 1996 Apple Macintosh was able to somehow link into far advanced alien technology, speak its language, drop in just the right virus, and stop the invasion.

Strike 1 - Jeff Goldblum
Strike 2 - Randy Quaid
Strike 3 - Bloody awful plot

Oh, but "nuke 'em!"

Reactions: Gonzo

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Okay, so it's Christmas time and the television turns to holiday movies during these times of Yule. Lots of classics. Lots of great comedies. But holy cow, we watched Best Christmas Ever or whatever on Netflix - starring Jason Biggs, Heather Graham and Brandy...so has to be decent right? Absolute stupidity. Just really really dumb. I think the script was cobbled together from 3 or 4 writers. So much didn't make sense. And, spoiler alert, Heather breaks the fourth wall right at the beginning, then that is never used again. So what was the point of that? I dare you to watch it.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I've been watching Red Letter Media on YouTube, they have a show called Best of the Worst where they watch some truly awful **** and make fun of it. It's a pretty good time if you're into that sort of thing.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Fury Road garbage? Wow.
So I wouldn't say garbage, as that's a big statement. For me though, and this is just me, I was very underwhelmed when I saw it in theaters. Watched it several months later just to make sure and it's very overrated to me. And I enjoy the Mad Max franchise.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I sort of consider them "time and place" movies. At the time, there wasn't much else like them, so they stood apart. Then the imitators arrived on the scene in droves, and there was a glut of stylized, hyper violent films trying to recreate the "QT" formula, and the downstream effect is that the originals lose some of their luster. With that said, the core of what made those films so popular and transcendent is still there, it's just been watered down by time.
Pretty spot on IMO. I've always thought QT was a better screenwriter than director, True Romance being a prime example. It's my #1 favorite movie of all time, and I cringe thinking how it would've turned out if QT (who wrote it) had also directed it instead of Tony Scott.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Every Lifetime movie ever made and every Hallmark Christmas movie. Also, speaking of Christmas movies, my wife loves the movie about shoes for a dying mom. I think it’s called Christmas Shoes. Garbage. But I bet I have to watch that again sometime in the next 2 weeks.

• Friendly
Reactions: BACyclone

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty spot on IMO. I've always thought QT was a better screenwriter than director, True Romance being a prime example. It's my #1 favorite movie of all time, and I cringe thinking how it would've turned out if QT (who wrote it) had also directed it instead of Tony Scott.
I've always thought the opposite of Tarantino. He shoots some magnificent scenes, but when put together, I don't think there's a coherent flow to the plot. Case in point: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Okay, so it's Christmas time and the television turns to holiday movies during these times of Yule. Lots of classics. Lots of great comedies. But holy cow, we watched Best Christmas Ever or whatever on Netflix - starring Jason Biggs, Heather Graham and Brandy...so has to be decent right? Absolute stupidity. Just really really dumb. I think the script was cobbled together from 3 or 4 writers. So much didn't make sense. And, spoiler alert, Heather breaks the fourth wall right at the beginning, then that is never used again. So what was the point of that? I dare you to watch it.

We watched that over the weekend. I'm assuming it's supposed to be a kid's movie? Or was written by kids?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Every Lifetime movie ever made and every Hallmark Christmas movie. Also, speaking of Christmas movies, my wife loves the movie about shoes for a dying mom. I think it’s called Christmas Shoes. Garbage. But I bet I have to watch that again sometime in the next 2 weeks.
Based upon the song Christmas Shoes. My wife loves the song. She also likes the breast cancer song and two of her favorite Christmas Carols are Last Christmas and the one about starving in Africa.

• Wow
Reactions: MeanDean

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Not only is Independence Day the worst movie of all time IMO, the scene where Will Smith punches out the alien and says "Now that's what I call a close encounter." is easily the dumbest moment and dumbest line in movie history. Lol.
"Nobody puts Baby in the corner"

8v32ia.gif

• Agree
Reactions: fcclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron