Worst rated beers

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I’ve been looking at brewing my own beer again. Not sure I want to do 5 gallon, 2 gallons is what I did before.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I love dark and flavorful beers but the most I can drink is one or two. I once went to the Hessian House and ordered a Guinness and my wife said "so you're not ordering dinner?!"
Guinness is actually a relatively low calorie, low abv beer compared to most craft. My recollection is that it's lower than Budweiser in both categories.

LostinIowaCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 15, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm really into sours right now and I typically enjoy Toppling Goliath beers. My wife was so happy to bring home their Strawberry Shortcake Sour. It was the worst. I couldn't even drink it. I gave it to a friend and she threw it away.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I'm really into sours right now and I typically enjoy Toppling Goliath beers. My wife was so happy to bring home their Strawberry Shortcake Sour. It was the worst. I couldn't even drink it. I gave it to a friend and she threw it away.

Same here. The Big Grove sour is outstanding.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Guinness is actually a relatively low calorie, low abv beer compared to most craft. My recollection is that it's lower than Budweiser in both categories.
Its like drinking a bud light. I love drinking it as a session beer in front of others that don't know better because they think you're some kind of badass.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Its like drinking a bud light. I love drinking it as a session beer in front of others that don't know better because they think you're some kind of badass.
Guinness is solid to drink German style. Out of the can just off the shelf. Doesn’t need to be chilled.

Reactions: NorthCyd

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
#106 Hite is actually the most common Korean beer although it doesn’t say so on there. I’ve been to lots of Korean restaurants where it’s the only beer. It’s like a Bud only lighter flavor…yeah. The other similar one is “OB” which is a little worse imho. I get Hite quite often in Korea Town because the huge bottle is usually cheap and I am cheap.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
#106 Hite is actually the most common Korean beer although it doesn’t say so on there. I’ve been to lots of Korean restaurants where it’s the only beer. It’s like a Bud only lighter flavor…yeah. The other similar one is “OB” which is a little worse imho. I get Hite quite often in Korea Town because the huge bottle is usually cheap and I am cheap.
I drank a lot of it when I was in Korea along with plenty of Soju. Decent beer.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

The only TG sour that isn't a mess is the original Dragon Fandango. All the variants suck.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't get why anyone would buy a local breweries version of "busch light" i.e. blonde beers, pilsners, golden ales etc. usually $2-$4 more expensive per 6 pack than your Busch, Miller, Bud, Coors Lights etc. and basically the same. When you're at the brewery drinking and you don't care for craft beer, sure great option.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't get why anyone would buy a local breweries version of "busch light" i.e. blonde beers, pilsners, golden ales etc. usually $2-$4 more expensive per 6 pack than your Busch, Miller, Bud, Coors Lights etc. and basically the same. When you're at the brewery drinking and you don't care for craft beer, sure great option.
Some pilsners and lagers from craft breweries are really tasty. Definitely not the same as a light beer

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

-the quality of the ingredients are better
-it’s fresher
-it tastes better
-you support a local business instead of a huge conglomerate

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
Blatz Beer | Hand Family Companies
https://www.handfamilycompanies.com › blatz-beer

Blatz Beer. WEBSITE: blatzbeer.com. DISTRIBUTED IN: Lakeshore Beverage (IL),. Blatz beer is everything Val Blatz himself was - bold, determined, innovative, ...

View attachment 93959

People also ask

Is Blatz beer still available?

It produced Blatz Beer from 1851 until 1959, when the label was sold to Pabst Brewing Company. Blatz beer is currently produced by the Miller Brewing Company of Milwaukee, under contract for Pabst Brewing Company.
Valentin Blatz Brewing Company.
Thanks...I remember drinking it and Grain Belt back in the day when one could buy a 12 pack of Grain Belt cans for a couple of bucks.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Some pilsners and lagers from craft breweries are really tasty. Definitely not the same as a light beer
I perhaps didn't make the most astute comparisons, but most breweries have a light beer equivalent and that's what I was aiming at.
-the quality of the ingredients are better
-it’s fresher
-it tastes better
-you support a local business instead of a huge conglomerate
I'm all for the things you mention but I'm not sure the differences are worth the cost to me, especially if I can get a tastier beer for the same price (i.e. a sixer of Easy Eddy from Big Grove is the same cost as their Boomtown Golden Ale)

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I perhaps didn't make the most astute comparisons, but most breweries have a light beer equivalent and that's what I was aiming at.

I'm all for the things you mention but I'm not sure the differences are worth the cost to me, especially if I can get a tastier beer for the same price (i.e. a sixer of Easy Eddy from Big Grove is the same cost as their Boomtown Golden Ale)

Ok but that’s just what you prefer. A lot of people prefer lagers, pils, kolschs or whatever to an IPA and local ones are definitely better than the mass produced ones. But like I said in another post if you’re used to drinking those and that’s what you like then I’m not gonna rip on you for it.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Easy Eddy is an IPA that I can have a few of without feeling bloated.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

A lot of craft pilsners are incredible.